Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009

justified is on a distinguished road
Joe

IMHO Cutty to Montauk is a long day also. why not enjoy your time out there, stop at Block on your way. Sailing is suppose to be relaxing unless you are doing it for $ and are an a strict time table.

Enjoy fair winds

Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
We spent a rainy week at Cuttyhunk a couple of years ago.

You should know there's not a lot by way of facilities. No public showers, dining options are also limited, and one small general store. Just wanted you to know what to expect after a long sail.

We would do Cuttyhunk again though. OK, if we had the option, we'd do it without the rain.
Old 07-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the island of Cuttyhunk and the town of Gosnold are both DRY, so, if you want to drink, go elsewhere or pack it in yourself...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2009

shemandr is on a distinguished road
How did the Cuttyhunk stay go? I am making a plan to go somewhere in the first week of August 2009. Did you get a mooring? Inside or outside? Any other tips for us - this is a new destination for us. We would be coming from Block Island and arriving later in the day. Thanks for any info.
Old 07-21-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemandr View Post
How did the Cuttyhunk stay go? I am making a plan to go somewhere in the first week of August 2009. Did you get a mooring? Inside or outside? Any other tips for us - this is a new destination for us. We would be coming from Block Island and arriving later in the day. Thanks for any info.
I was at Cuttyhunk twice last week and anchored inside both times, plenty of room. Didn't leave the boat, just pulled in the first time to meet up with Sailingdog and have a good nights rest both times.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 07-21-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Nice anchorage

We enjoyed anchoring inside though there are moorings available at the approach area outside and inside [looks very safe outside, mostly deeper draft boats] We took the dinghy to shore. There is a dinghy dock sign that points twd the left. While on shore we met 'Donna' a 7th generation local and very nice lady who offered us a ride on her golf cart to see the island. [we gave her a little tip, I suspect she makes a little spending money that way] We traveled to a high vantage point that was breathtaking and also passed some beautifle fields of wild flowers. There is a general store, no showers though or water. Great ice cream near the dock and there are some good restaurants. Saw some sailors w folding bikes...good idea. Sorry I missed Denby and especially the Dog! Did see a couple of cats too.
This is 'the view' of Cuttyhunk...
Old 07-22-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Joesaila,

What day were you there? I was there on Monday and Wednesday.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 07-22-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Just back from our trip. we were on Cuttyhunk a week ago Monday. (Montauk-Defender store in CT-Block-Cuttyhunk-Martha's Vinyard-Block-Montauk) Cuttyhunk was a lot of fun and easily explored by walking. The fuel dock has water. I understand it's well water that tastes excellent. Note that you can't fuel or get water there when the ferry is approaching of there. And it's also where the locals jump into the water for a swim -- jumped a couple of times myself. There's a sign that says "no swimming when the ferry is present".

Plenty of room that I saw. Every mooring didn't get taken. It's first-come, first-served, so if you are worried, leave early to arrive early.

There is one store of about 200 square feet in size. It was a pricy, but considering they have to ferry everything in and manually unload at the dock (no car ferry), it's probably about right. There's ice cream and lobsters for sale right next to the dinghy dock. They sell the lobsters (cooked or uncooked) in the afternoon, because they are out getting them in the morning. It's a lovely island that some of my kids wanted to explore for a week.

Take you dinghy to the west side of the harbor and over the small dune to see the sun set. Also, the hike to the highest point is a good walk, with a 360 degree view.

Joesaila - next time we'll have to
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 07-22-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Just back from our trip. we were on Cuttyhunk a week ago Monday. (Montauk-Defender store in CT-Block-Cuttyhunk-Martha's Vinyard-Block-Montauk) Cuttyhunk was a lot of fun and easily explored by walking. The fuel dock has water. I understand it's well water that tastes excellent. Note that you can't fuel or get water there when the ferry is approaching of there. And it's also where the locals jump into the water for a swim -- jumped a couple of times myself. There's a sign that says "no swimming when the ferry is present".

Plenty of room that I saw. Every mooring didn't get taken. It's first-come, first-served, so if you are worried, leave early to arrive early.

There is one store of about 200 square feet in size. It was a pricy, but considering they have to ferry everything in and manually unload at the dock (no car ferry), it's probably about right. There's ice cream and lobsters for sale right next to the dinghy dock. They sell the lobsters (cooked or uncooked) in the afternoon, because they are out getting them in the morning. It's a lovely island that some of my kids wanted to explore for a week.

Take you dinghy to the west side of the harbor and over the small dune to see the sun set. Also, the hike to the highest point is a good walk, with a 360 degree view.

Joesaila - next time we'll have to
Hey there Brad! How did you end up making out with the tranny? I see you got back to Montauk.

We're in Mystic at the moment, and plan to stay here tonight and tomorrow night. Had a heck of a ride from Newport this morning. Going around point Judith was like sailing through a washing machine, as always. Anyway, from here we're heading west on Friday, either to Westbrook, Branford or someplace like that. And then home on Saturday. It was great to meet you in person, and we'll have to try to hook up again sometime, only next time we'll have to actually spend some time together!

Old 07-23-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Hey there Brad! How did you end up making out with the tranny? I see you got back to Montauk.

We're in Mystic at the moment, and plan to stay here tonight and tomorrow night. Had a heck of a ride from Newport this morning. Going around point Judith was like sailing through a washing machine, as always. Anyway, from here we're heading west on Friday, either to Westbrook, Branford or someplace like that. And then home on Saturday. It was great to meet you in person, and we'll have to try to hook up again sometime, only next time we'll have to actually spend some time together!
Daniel,

It was not the transmission after all. The prop had fallenoff. Brewers serviced it for me and put it back on 2 weeks earlier. $1800 roughly after finding one and having it reworked for a 40 mm shaft, and with the nut and zinc and overnight shipping. I had to really work for a day or two to find a prop and get all the parts in quickly. Good news is the Brewers says they'll pay. I'm calling for the receipts tomorrow and will send them in to Brewers. Beneteau showed their worth again, helping me out on short notice, looking around for a prop. But in the end, the Maritime Institute Instructor we met at the gas dock pointed us to Falmount Marine who then pointed us to New England Propellers.

We did MVI to BLock in a SCA, 14 hours tacking into the wind, motor assisted. It was too rought to go directly into the wind wiht the wife and kids. The dink spilled a couple life jackets, so we did man overboard practice. best thing was the old couples we saw in smaller boats, tooling along -- some flying spinnakers in that wind. Amazing. One couple had a ketch with this spinnaker-looking think on the mizzen that went out and also across the cabin top.

Then the next day, hardly any wind at all. Motored from Block to Montauk right above idle, played Parcheesi in the cockpit all the way there. At one point I had to let some of the main and jib sheets out to prevent heeling so the piece wouldn't fall over. What a difference between the two days.

Party Tuesday night for the denaming and renaming ceremonies. Lots of fun.

You have a great group there, it was a blast to cram onto one nice boat and socialize like that. PLease keep us in mind for the upcoming events.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.