Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
BlueChart g2 and g2 Vision Data Card Version 2009 Recall

BlueChart g2 and g2 Vision Data Card Version 2009 Recall FAQ - June 4, 2009 | Garmin

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2009

frause is on a distinguished road
I've just sent in my charts to Garmin. Bought an GPSmap 620 in may with no prior experience with Bluechart.

My home waters are in the Sockholm archipelago, and I've got to say; there are mysterious depth contours all over the place on those charts that does not exist neither in the source materials (official charts) nor in reality.

Scary stuff... although so far I've never found anywhere it displays deeper than what it really is.
Old 07-09-2009
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
I contacted Garmin yesterday regarding my G2 chip purchased in May 2009. Garmin's response was a bit surprising to me. They advised they were going to replace my G2 chip with a G2 Vision chip (definite upgrade although smaller coverage area) and then send me the updated G2 chip when it is re-released in the latter part of 2009. I must say I am not too disappointed even if I have to resort to my backup handheld for a week or two.
Old 07-09-2009
Lost on the water...

wright1d is on a distinguished road
Whats your take on the vision cards are they worth it vs the standard charts? I have been thinking of getting one as I would qualify for the $200 rebate.
Old 07-09-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Just to clarify Garmin Chips...

1. "Bluechart" - Older chip for older Garmin GPS (specific not standard shape)
2. "Bluechart g2" - Improved chip for 2106 GPS onwards (some older machines may require software update to use). Garmin specific not standard shape chip.
3. "Bluechart g2 Vision" - SD card chip for newer machines 4x 5x series GPS's.

1 and 2 will not work in the latest machines (they won't fit) and visa-versa.

1. will work in the 3206/10 GPS vintage machines but you may have to switch off the build in US detailed map.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
2. "Bluechart g2" - Improved chip for 2106 GPS onwards (some older machines may require software update to use). Garmin specific not standard shape chip.
3. "Bluechart g2 Vision" - SD card chip for newer machines 4x 5x series GPS's.

1 and 2 will not work in the latest machines (they won't fit) and visa-versa.
Both g2 and g2 Vision comes on microSD or SD cards. g2 Vision has extra features like aerial/satellite photos and stuff.

Last edited by frause; 07-10-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2009
Lost on the water...

So does any one have the vision chip & do you think it was worth the $300 cost or even the $100 cost with the rebate going on now when you buy a new unit?
Old 07-10-2009

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
gimicky, not needed. I have two. One I bought b/c I didn't have the blue charts pre-loaded for that area the other was probably a mistake since the 4208 already comes loaded with everything you need. The sattelite imagry and photos are not necessary. The guide to function is kind of cool if you are feeling lazy when you go to do your navigating but I wouldn't get in the habit of using that feature.
Old 07-10-2009
Lost on the water...

The guide part is what I was interested in. Thought of it as sort of a double check to my charting, but was not sure how well it worked?
Old 07-20-2009

I got the 2008 charts back from Garmin last week. None of them were the right version. I sent them two Bluechart g2 and got back one Bluechart g2 Vision and one "Classic". The classic one doesn't even work in my unit. (GPSmap 620). I've talked to Garmin and they said they are going to send out a new card tomorrow.

The strange depth contours are gone now. Much better.

I tried out the Vision chart this weekend and no, it is not worth the extra money. The only useful extras is roads on land and maybe aerial photos, but you can just as well bring a cheap paper map. The satellite photos painted on land just makes it harder to distinguish from shallow water, at least on a 5'' screen in sunlight so I turned that off pretty quick.

3D stuff? Who is the target audience for that?

I tried the auto guide to a destination 7-8NM away, fairly simple navigation. A moderately experienced navigator could eyeball a safe route in under a minute with paper charts. With the right navigational litterature at hand, a slightly quicker route (which the gps would not know of) in maybe 5-10. After watching the spinning thingy for 20 minutes, I grew tired of waiting and turned the unit off. Maybe it's the charts in this area or the 620, but that feature is pretty much useless for me.