Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009
Need all kinds of help

deadman13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13
Unhappy Just lost my livaboard, need advice/help

ok, so im new here, a little back story, i moved back to SC a few years ago, and was given a 25ft boat to live on, and later was actually given the title. i had it on the hard in upstate to get repairs and to save costs, moved to a friends dock to keep from storage fees till i could find the time and money to move it back and get a slip at the marina (it was anchored in the harbor before).

on the 4th, a few teens in the area where my boat was kept took my sail boat and a few other small craft out without asking (stolen, in other words) and eventually a roman candle war started between boats when someone decided to shoot off a flare. from reports, it went of or was shot into my boats cabin, catching the cushions ablaze and melting the deck above including the inflatable.

the boat went down with everything i owned, including a pelican "safe" that kept my important papers and most on my savings. i was still staying on the boat from time to time to finish the repairs, but was crashing in the garage where i rebuild old bikes and mopeds.

now i have nothing left, and am scrambling to find a home. im not begging for anything, but i do need advice. i dont have but maybe 200 to my name, and am searching for a few things: obviously a boat for myself to call home, and whatever needed to be back living!

my options are limited, as well as sailing ability, but i will do anything. i know its sounds strange, but im scared now ive lost her. i can stay here a little longer (its a friends 2 car garage) but i need to get back on my own. as it was i was close to getting her back in the harbor.

if anyone can help with advice, or unneeded supplies i would be eternally grateful.
if any of you need work or crew, im your guy.

thank you all. david.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009
Need all kinds of help

just to make it clear, im not looking for any handouts or anything.

i am asking if anyone knows where i can get any boat cheap, around 25ft. also, if you happen to have anything laying around you could part with (VHF[handheld or not], dinks, small motors, weather gear, cooking stuff, ANYTHING) that you can send my was cheap or free, thatd be great.

i am willing to go anywhere on the east coast for a boat/work, and am scouring craigslist daily.

i need advice on where would be good to sail to once i get back wet, and some tips on sailing solo. id like to go to the carribean, but thats a goal, not a must. thanks again.
Old 07-08-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Jeez dude, that completely sucks. Hang in there.

If you can disregard the smackdown this chick took from some resident goofballs - take a look at this thread.

The moral of that story is that there are indeed boats out there and people that can point you in the right direction. You're just going to need to dig to find them. Stay after craigslist.
Old 07-08-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i would also go crush thru any marinas you can and look for boats with expired stickers then talk to the marina office and try to get in touch with the owner. they might be willing to get rid of a boat cheap to stop paying for the slip.

and if you dont know about crazedlist go learn it makes craigslist so much easier
Old 07-08-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Scotty! Dude! Crazedlist! You just earned a beer!

That is freakin' sweet!
Old 07-08-2009

smacky you did not know about it? its great esp if you are going on a trip and know the route your taking, i have gotten some great deals while on road trips
Old 07-08-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
Just a thought but those articles in the newspapers about all the abandoned boats in Florida due to nobody being able to pay for mooring fees is an ideal. Just make your way to FL and get a johnboat to go look through the mangroves. Or that could be just media on a slow news week.
Old 07-08-2009
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
smacky you did not know about it? its great esp if you are going on a trip and know the route your taking, i have gotten some great deals while on road trips
Aaaaaa....of course I knew about it! What the hell do you think I am? A bonehead?
Old 07-08-2009

smacky's a bonehead
Old 07-08-2009
Need all kinds of help

thanks guys. only problem with cl is that localy boats here (SC) are outrageous. and i have just enough $ for a tent and a bus ticket to FLA. i stayed in sarasota for a while, and i loved it there, but thing is, all that takes resources i dont have at the moment.

but, im keeping a weather eye on the ads, hoping. trying to hustle up every last dime. a friend told me to ask for donations thru paypal, but i dont like asking. especially for $ in these times, with all the bum scams out there. (just in case, my paypal email is dmk_132003@hotmail.com. im not asking, but just in case.)

anyone in FLA anywhere need any help and have a spare boat? or even dink?

whats the salvage rules like?