Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Odd Law’s and Customs

I read a lot of books about sailing around the world. Mostly dreaming and I don’t see ever being able to really do it . . . but I do like getting lost in the stories . . . and who knows. I just finished Hal Roth’s book “How to Sail Around The World” . . . good book btw. One thing he mentioned I thought was odd . . . Scuba tanks are forbidden in French Polynesia. What’s that about?

Has anyone out there run into odd laws or customs around the world?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I ran into a odd law right here in the US; I can sail ( and I have ) into Mexican waters for as long as I want and never have to go thru customs as long as I don't step on Mexian dirt

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-10-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Customs

I believe the same is true for most countries, hence the quarantine flag requirement when you sail into a foreign port and drop anchor. However it's not true for the good old US of A. You are required to check into customs as soon as reasonably possible when you return from a foreign country. I found that out last year when I returned from Canada. I checked in promptly but my buddy boat waited until the next morning and got a real chewing out from the Customs folks. They said they could give him a $5000 fine but didn't since he was of advanced age (he's 80). He said that was the biggest senior discount he had ever received!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 07-10-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
I believe the same is true for most countries, hence the quarantine flag requirement when you sail into a foreign port and drop anchor. However it's not true for the good old US of A. You are required to check into customs as soon as reasonably possible when you return from a foreign country.
I thought that once you entered foreign waters, you had to clear Customs when you returned to US waters regardless of whether or not you dropped anchore or went ashore.

I was surprised to hear that's no longer the case

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, if you make landfall at a foreign country or with a foreign boat/ship in international waters, you must clear customs in the US. I don't know if that is the case if you're in US waters.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
You can sail through other countries' waters as long as you don't touch shore.
It is called right of innocent passage. But I don't advise trying it in N Korean waters... They are insane and will shoot first and sink your boat...
There a few countries that are (for want of a better word) uptight and paranoid where strangers are concerned.
And it wise to stay out of Pirate infested waters also...

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-10-2009

The CBP say:

Quote:
Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States.
Something just seems wrong with this policy

Old 07-10-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One thing he mentioned I thought was odd . . . Scuba tanks are forbidden in French Polynesia. What’s that about?
The native Polynesisans free dive when they spear fish or hunt shell fish, commonly in very deep lagoons. A scuba diver with an arbilate or other spear-gun could easily take far more fish than one needs to survive. Hence, everyone, native and visitor, must be on equal footing to ensure the fish stock is preserved. Accordingly, no scuba. A Hawaiian sling and a face-mask are quite adaquate.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-10-2009
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Ahhhh . . . I figured it might have something like that. I guess hookah is the way to go.

In Hal's book . . . he also mentioned the use of quarantine flags around the globe. Some countries are extremely serious about the requirement . . . but he said don't do it in Spain . . . they freak out for some reason.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 07-10-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
The CBP say:

Something just seems wrong with this policy
How so?

When the BC Ferries leave the dock at Tsawassen for Swartz Bay they are immediately in US waters. On the way to Active Pass they leave US waters and return to Canada. With a ferry leaving each terminal every hour, having to clear immigration and customs would be a nightmare.

I frequently go into US waters in Haro Strait and Juan de Fuca.

IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)