private captain carreer - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 07-15-2009
AEOLUS II

Nothing sucks the fun out of a hobby, like turning it into a vocation!!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 07-15-2009 Thread Starter

wow the triton classifieds sure are depressing! i see about 4 captains for hire and 4 captains wanted! and all those for hire had years and years of experience...

oh well. i understand that there's always the possibility of a job on a boat with a not-so-great owner, but there's also the possibility of having an awesome owner! well i'll look into the mate thing. perhaps i'll be able to give that a try and see what i think from there. i appreciate all the suggestions!
post #13 of 19 Old 07-15-2009

"But how would you get that experience with a sailboat short of buying one and sailing the world."
That's called apprenticeship. You serve as an apprentice, i.e. a low paid underling, and do all the scut work for a couple of years while you are documenting your hours. Same as any union job on land, or any harbor pilots' union, etc.
And there's that whole body of maritime law to protect sailors and repatriate them, because for hundreds of years they've been getting shafted and dumped without pay in all the odd corners of the world from time to time. (Nothing new about that.)

"Own a computer? Make money from home in your spare time!"

The grass is always greener over the septic tank. :-)
post #14 of 19 Old 07-15-2009

Here's another thought to consider. The "very rich" who would employ a private captain are "very cheap". Don't know why that is, but it probably the inherent drive that got them to where they are. After going through the steps listed before in this thread, make sure compensation is well understood and agreed or you will be "very pissed.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-15-2009

Here's another thought to consider. The "very rich" who would employ a private captain are "very cheap". Don't know why that is, but it probably the inherent drive that got them to where they are. After going through the steps listed before in this thread, make sure compensation is well understood and agreed or you will be "very pissed.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-15-2009

Cool

So freakin important, I sent it twice. Yeesh.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-15-2009 Thread Starter

well guys, you've officially talked me out of it lol. and mostly for the reason that i don't like being a waiter. i don't want to be anything close to a butler and bring food and the like.

well bummer. what should i do?
post #18 of 19 Old 07-16-2009
AEOLUS II

Join the Navy!!
post #19 of 19 Old 07-16-2009

There is always delivery work, but that too isn't as glamorous as it may sound. Forget much of a family life and remember delivery skippers get paid to move the boat, usually the time spent waiting for crew or repairs or the boat to be rigged are not compensated. The companys I am familiar with also require you to crew with them for up to a year (unpaid) before they will give you a boat. Of course if you have extensive prior experience as skipper this would probably be waived.
You could try crewing first to see if it is for you . There are a lot of opportunities out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.