Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
RIP Walter

We lost another good one this evening, fellow sailor and 'the most trusted man in America'...RIP Walter Cronkite.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
We have lost a good one!

A radio call went out in New York City's upper harbor. Does anyone know where a sailor can find some ice around here? The call came back, WE have Ice on the WYNTJE.

The boats found each other and Walter handed over 1/2 a garbage bag full of ice.

This is an true story. I know the parties that got the ice.

" that's the way it was."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bubb2; 07-17-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
I really liked Walter. He seemed like a good man. RIP
Old 07-18-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Met him in Marblehead Harbor once when he pulled up to dock. He signed a copy of the sailing book he had just released...it was around 1984-85. Good guy.

Also use to watch him sail into Edgartown Harbor on occasion through the anchorage (his home port) when I was there cruising.

We'll think of him while sailing today on the Chesapeake Bay with the family.

He certainly had a great life.

RIP

Moe
Old 07-18-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
He was kind of like a good uncle in the family.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 07-18-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Uncle Walter was the news for the first half of my life. And ha was the consummate sailor. I recall reading in a SAIL magazine (I think it was SAIL) about he and his wife sailing into a new harbor. He was at the helm and standing, waving with people on shore yelling, "Hello, Walter!" When hos wife rushed up from below and said they aren't saying Hello Walter, they are yelling, "LOW WATER!" He turned around to avoid running aground.

As I sit here this morning watching a lengthy tribute to his life and career, it is amazing just how much of those times I recall with him telling me about it.

"And that's the was it was..."
Old 07-19-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Being Canadian, I would say he wasn't the same figure here, although he was certainly well known, particularly when he called the Vietnam War a "stalemate" in '68. I recall more his science documentary hosting in the '70s and '80s...he was exceptionally good at that sort of thing as well. I also knew he and William Buckley, while seemingly not on the same page politically (insofar as Cronkite ever made his personal politics known), were probably the best two "media sailors" on the U.S. East Coast...and now both are gone.
Old 07-19-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I also knew he and William Buckley, while seemingly not on the same page politically (insofar as Cronkite ever made his personal politics known), were probably the best two "media sailors" on the U.S. East Coast...and now both are gone.
There is another pretty well known "media sailor" and that would be Ted Turner (Owner & starter of CNN). He has raced in many ocean races and won an AC in Courages. I miss seeing the engineer's hat of his.
Old 07-19-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
There is another pretty well known "media sailor" and that would be Ted Turner (Owner & starter of CNN). He has raced in many ocean races and won an AC in Courages. I miss seeing the engineer's hat of his.
If you ever saw the movie Wind. It was loosely based on Ted Turner and Dennis Connor.

Never Forgotten

Old 07-20-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
An interesting take on Cronkite's style when compared to today's schmoozers, cheerleaders and brown-nosers:

Celebrating Cronkite while ignoring what he did - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com