Survival raft, suit or yacht saver? - SailNet Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-18-2009 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Survival raft, suit or yacht saver?

I am in the process of refitting my Cascade 29 and am considering which type of safety gear I'll need. Mostly I'll be day sailing off of the Oregon coast with the hopes of some future trips to the San Juans and maybe an inside passage trip up to Alaska and back (I hope).

I like the idea of the Yacht Saver (bladders inside the boat that can be inflated to keep the boat afloat). This keeps myself and my crew with the boat and all of my supplies rather than abandoning the craft and letting it go to the bottom. My other options are survival suits (more within my budget) and of course, a life raft. My only issue with the life raft is the initial expense and the cost of repacks every so many years.

I am contemplating initially purchasing the survival suits and using them in addition to a small zodiac I plan to keep inflated on the foredeck. I admit almost all of my 23years of sailing has been on the Columbia river and this is my first venture into offshore and coastal cruising so this is relatively new territory for me.

If anyone can share some ideas it would be greatly appreciated as the safety of myself and more importantly my crew are my utmost priority but funds are limited at the present time. A new radar and GPS map are really putting the hurt on the bank account right now.
docrn is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 07-18-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake bay
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
one thing to think about with the bladders is when and if you need them when the the coast guard gets there they will get you off the boat which is still floating, they will not try to save the boat. now the boat is a hazard, and almost worthless due to flooding if it gets bad enought to need them.

as for a life raft the waters cold up there if you get in the water not in a suit you most likely wont be able to get in the raft.

my votes are suits and a raft
scottyt is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 725
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
I dont know how you would stay in the boat with the bladders inflated. Would the boat not sink to the deck with the bladders floating inside the boat. But if I got rescued off a sinking boat the last thing I would worry about then is the cost of the boat. Its already a hazzard.

That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life.
badsanta is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2009
Senior Member
 
billyruffn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,295
Thanks: 5
Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
The three things you are considering are designed to do different things: Bladders to keep the boat from sinking but will not protect the crew from hypothermia if there is lots of water in the boat; a raft is a place to go when the boat can not be saved, but in cold waters a raft without survival suits while helpful probably won't extend survival times that much; survival suits protect crew from hypothermia due to immersion in cold water, but they provide zero shelter from wind and wave.

What you need very much depends on where you are going (water temperature) and how long it may take assistance to arrive. A bladder, survival suits and an inflatable dinghy will probably be OK for coastal sailing in the PNW and BC, but in remote areas of AK or offshore you should think very seriously adding an offshore raft to the mix of survival technologies. When you do buy a raft make sure it has an inflatable floor.
billyruffn is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 9 Old 07-19-2009
Closet Powerboater
 
MedSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Posts: 3,579
Thanks: 258
Thanked 112 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
I am in the process of refitting my Cascade 29 and am considering which type of safety gear I'll need. Mostly I'll be day sailing off of the Oregon coast with the hopes of some future trips to the San Juans and maybe an inside passage trip up to Alaska and back (I hope).

I like the idea of the Yacht Saver (bladders inside the boat that can be inflated to keep the boat afloat). This keeps myself and my crew with the boat and all of my supplies rather than abandoning the craft and letting it go to the bottom. My other options are survival suits (more within my budget) and of course, a life raft. My only issue with the life raft is the initial expense and the cost of repacks every so many years.

I am contemplating initially purchasing the survival suits and using them in addition to a small zodiac I plan to keep inflated on the foredeck. I admit almost all of my 23years of sailing has been on the Columbia river and this is my first venture into offshore and coastal cruising so this is relatively new territory for me.

If anyone can share some ideas it would be greatly appreciated as the safety of myself and more importantly my crew are my utmost priority but funds are limited at the present time. A new radar and GPS map are really putting the hurt on the bank account right now.
Portland Pudgy multifunction dinghy -- the fun boat that could save your life! (solid liferaft, great dingy, no repacks)

I looked into yachtsavers and simmilar products. They're quite difficult to size, set up properly, and when they work, your decks will likely still be awash so you'll still have quite a bit of damage and an unusable and uninhabitable boat until rescue.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MedSailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 9 Old 07-19-2009
Warm Weather Sailor
 
Vasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,010
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
The problem with yacht savers is that it takes up too much precious storage space.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vasco is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: US
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Yachtsaver won't do any good if there is a fire on board, I'd go with a liferaft ans most importantly an EPRIB
sailingSammy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 9 Old 07-21-2009 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingSammy View Post
Yachtsaver won't do any good if there is a fire on board, I'd go with a liferaft ans most importantly an EPRIB
Wow. I can't beleive I didn't think of a fire onboard. Points well taken guys!
docrn is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2009
Closet Powerboater
 
MedSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Posts: 3,579
Thanks: 258
Thanked 112 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Wow. I can't beleive I didn't think of a fire onboard. Points well taken guys!
Not to worry. It only burns until you sink, then it goes out.

MedSailor (go for the pudgy!)

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MedSailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a Charter Yacht FootlooseCharters Buying a Boat Articles 3 09-02-2011 09:30 AM
THE Yacht Builder List T37Chef Boat Review and Purchase Forum 26 07-08-2011 05:51 AM
Writer needs information on life rafts for story bajagirl General Discussion (sailing related) 41 05-16-2008 08:00 PM
Life Raft Stowage: The Overlooked Necessity PracticalSailor Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 07-09-2007 02:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome