SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Alternator for Yanmar YSE12 ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/56313-alternator-yanmar-yse12.html)

shisaisama 07-18-2009 06:36 AM

Alternator for Yanmar YSE12 ?

I have a rebuilt Yanmar YSE12, one-lunger diesel engine. What kind of alternator should I look for? Chip

Vasco 07-18-2009 09:34 AM

Here's a link to the manual and parts list.
http://www.sailingboatefaki.gr/Engine%20Manuals.htm

shisaisama 07-18-2009 11:22 AM

Can't find alternator.

Thanks for the reply. I have opened the parts list, but can't find the alternator/generator. Chip

overtorqued 09-06-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shisaisama (Post 506475)
Thanks for the reply. I have opened the parts list, but can't find the alternator/generator. Chip

Coincidentally, I just pulled the alternator off my gf's YSE12 today - will check the nameplate details tomorrow and post details here soon after ...

flatracker 09-06-2009 09:16 PM

Yanmar Alternator

Most Yanmars have a 35amp Hitachi as standard. At least every one I have seen. Don't know if I would go any bigger on a one lunger. Make a trip to your local alternator/starter shop. Save yourself a bunch of bucks. Recently told by my gf that she bought a 80 amp alternator from Yanmar, for nearly 600 bucks. I just upgraded mine to a 70 amp from a local rebuilder. Brand new, 70amp Hitachi, for 80 bucks. Don't get drug into the marine alternator deal. The difference in a marine alternator and a non marine, are little screens inside that stop sparks from escaping. These are intended to keep a hot spark from igniting gas fumes. Not needed on diesel motors.

shisaisama 09-06-2009 10:21 PM

Dear overtorqued and flatracker,
In the interim, since my first e-mail inquiry, I have paid $200 for a small alternator manufactured by Nippon Denso. Like my new Jabsco water pump, it is not original Yanmar equipment, so I am having to jury rig it into place. Once I get it mounted, it hope it works as well as the water pump. Anyway, thanks for your replies. Happy sailing!
shisaisama

roline 09-07-2009 09:20 AM

I was experiencing fading batteries that were having difficulty starting my 2GM20. I thought that the Alt may have suffered an untimely demise.
I took the old 35 amp into the local Advance Auto parts and they tested it, yup, it was dead. They told me that it was the same frame as the NISSAN alternators and that they could have a 65 Amp on in 2 days for about $75. I did a Ebay search and found a 50Amp Hatachi for a Yanmar for under $100. I stayed with the marine version for the few extra $$...

overtorqued 09-10-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overtorqued (Post 520290)
Coincidentally, I just pulled the alternator off my gf's YSE12 today - will check the nameplate details tomorrow and post details here soon after ...

Just posting this in case some one comes looking for an answer in the future.

The alternator on the YSE12 has no nameplate, but it looks similar to a Hitachi LR135-31 (not quite exact, but same mounting points). It has the Hitachi symbol embossed on the rear journal housing. The YSE instruction manual says its 25A. The service manual says its 25A, 14V @ 5000rpm.

One other note is that the idler shaft (PTO - power takeoff shaft) that drives the alternator & water pump sheaves is rated at only 2-3hp at 3000rpm for the YSE12, which means about a 50A replacement alternator would be the max. (if you can spare that much horsepower ;-)

If anyone has the model number for the 25A, please post it up.

YARDPRO 06-24-2010 08:37 PM

what model nissan alternator will work?

i have gone to the local auto shops, but they have been no help at all...they can only look up alternators from year and make of vehicle...

my alternator is dead and i am having to spend a lot on other areas of the boat, and need a low cost solution to get me through the summer.

JimsCAL 06-25-2010 08:42 AM

Sprider Marine Electric shows a 35 amp Hitachi for that engine for $150.