SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Read any good books lately? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/5634-read-any-good-books-lately.html)

dnr 11-23-2002 02:28 PM

Read any good books lately?

The older I get, the more I enjoy reading good books on sailing adventure(non-fiction)or sailing advice. I''ve recently re-read some of my old standby''s, and am looking for recommendations for something new.

A sampling of my standbys are:
Close to the Wind (Pete Goss) excellent,,
The Long Way (Bernard Moitessier) excellent,,
Swan second voyage (Jim Moore)good,,
Seraffyn (Lin & Larry Pardey) good,,

On my want list are : Heavy Weather Sailing (Coles) and Nigel Calders Cruising.

Anyone recommend these or others?

gunnyman1 11-23-2002 03:00 PM

Try After 50,000 Miles by Hal Roth.Full of good info and genuines good sail boat info.

DuaneIsing 11-23-2002 05:29 PM

dnr,

I sure enjoyed Calder''s Cruising Handbook. He is biased toward heavier cruising boats, but I like how he examines many aspects of a challenge/problem and offers his perception of the pros/cons of any approach.

Duane

maestro 11-25-2002 10:27 AM

I just read "All For A Bottle of Whisky" a cruising story . Good eye candy at night to read. Makes me want to pack up today and shove off.

Sailormon6 11-25-2002 11:01 AM

I enjoyed Francis Chichester''s books, especially the one about his solo circumnavigation, when he tried to beat the time of the clipper ships.

Heavy Weather Sailing by Adlard Coles is excellent. He sailed and raced small boats in the North Atlantic, and tried every imaginable storm sailing technique. He discusses the pros and cons of every imaginable storm sailing technique.

Tristan Jones wrote several good books. He was very salty in his language and attitude, and, in one book, sailed a small boat into the north polar ice pack, and in another book, he mostly sailed and partly portaged his boat from west to east across South America, exiting via the Amazon River.

The Bounty Trilogy is a great read, even if you have seen the movie. The first part describes the cruise of the Bounty, and the mutiny. The second part describes the cruise of the Pandora, which was sent out by the British to capture the mutineers and bring them back for trial. The third part describes the trial of the mutineers who were captured. One of the segments (I think the first) also recounts Bligh''s 3600 mile cruise in the small, leaky, ship''s launch after the mutiny, which is considered one of the greatest small boat trips in history.

Also, read one of the several books written about the attempt to reach the south pole by Ernest Shackleton. His ship, the Endurance, was beset in ice and crushed. He and his crew sailed three small boats to uninhabited Elephant Island, and then he and four others sailed a small boat across Cape Horn to a whaling station on a small island. This was also one of the great small boat voyages.

Check the computerized catalogue in your local library for the titles of Chichester''s and Jones''s various books, and for books about the Shackleton trip.

Denr 11-27-2002 04:49 AM

I recently finished "The Proving Ground" by G. Bruce Knecht. This is a factual account of the 1997 Sydney to Hobart race, some of it told by Larry Ellison (hes such a weenie) of Oracle Software. I throughly enjoyed it. The first person to send me their address (to my personal page) will be mailed my copy of the book, why I''ll even sign it!

DuaneIsing 11-27-2002 05:33 AM

Denr,

Gotta agree with you there, too; I really enjoyed the book. The way some of those "sailors" were portrayed, it makes you realize that a lot of times it''s much more about personal character and fortitude than boat knowledge.

Duane

garyp 11-27-2002 03:32 PM

"A Unit of Water, a Unit of Time" (think I got that right) is a wonderful portrait of Joel White and some boat carpenters in Brooklin Mass, as is "Wooden Boats", about the Gannon & Benjamin yard. Olin Stephen''s autobiography "All this and Sailing, Too" is fabulous, my candidate for book of the year. If you like nautical mysteries try anything by Sam Llewellyn, but especially "The Shadow in the Sands." When all else fails read Josh Slocum again.
As you can tell, boating in Alaska for much of the year takes place in an armchair. At least here in the interior.

SailorMitch 11-27-2002 06:57 PM

Hey Denr, check your messages!

gershel 11-29-2002 04:42 AM

Hi,Try "Drag Device Data Base".Mundane title for a book of first-hand accounts of boats like ours in storm conditions. I''ve read mine ''til it''s dog-eared
Marc