Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
My battery pack with a 17 amp hour battery I figured I had 8 amp hours to work with. As you say a haul may cost 7 amp hours so I figured I was OK for one haul.
But what you are saying is that the battery will not tolerate a discharge at that level?
It is advertized as a sealed lead acid battery. I read that as AGM so it should handle the fast discharge.

What would happen? What about thirty seconds than a few second rest would that matter?

What about a small AGM? They are supposed to tolerate any discharge rate yes? I only need one haul between charges, weight is more important than number of charges.

I've got to tell you this battery stuff seems very tricky.
I'm not arguing with you just trying to understand.
Thanks Again.

Last edited by davidpm; 07-31-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post

Does sears have the appropiate charger? What would work well with this battery?
Yeah, sears has a Platinum Charger for $99 but save your money and get this one: VEC1087C car battery charger

If the Sears battery is the same as the Odesey it must be AGM? How did you figure that out, the Sears website give very little info that I could find?
I am active on some battery discussion groups where it was noted that they were the same but that Sears contract with Odyssey would soon run out unless renewed at a higher price since lead went up from their contracted price and thus the "deal" doesn't have long to live! Yes...both SearsPlatinum and Odyssey are AGM but a very UNIQUE AGM...

I only need one maybe two hauls between charges.
I thought AGM's could handle faster discharge rates or is that only faster charge rate?
AGM's CAN handle FASTER discharge rates...typically around 40-50% of rated capacity...Odysseys can handle OVER 100% of rated capacity...thus you can get away with ONE odyssey battery since I figured you'd hate me if you had to haul TWO AGMS or a couple of 4D wet cells!

From Sears site:
The PM-1 Platinum Marine Battery from DieHard features 205 minutes of reserve capacity and 1150 cold cranking amps. Provides power for RVs, trolling motors, marine accessories and starting needs. The combination stud/post terminal design allows for multiple connections. Its corrosion-resistant high quality tin-coated brass terminals provide reliable starting power in all weather conditions. Its rugged, military-grade construction features robust casing for increased compression and offers superior vibration resistance.

Does this mean 205 minutes to dead at 25 amps. YES
100 minutes to half charge at 25 amps
40 minutes at 62 amps
40 / 7 minutes per haul is about 6 hauls

NO... Wrong rating. You first figure the current...in amps which is 62. Then you figure the time which is 7/60ths...or 7 minutes draw. That gives you amp HOURS used 7.23 to be exact. So...with a 115ah capacity at the 20 hour rate the Odyssey can be discharged to an 80% depth or 92ah's before requiring a recharge. (Other wet or AGM's should be 50-60% depth). 92 amp hours divided by 7.23 ah's per haul gives you about 12 hauls.
Conservatively 10.
OK?
Old 08-03-2009

docrn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I have access to a beach where I keep a Hobie 18 that weighs about 400 lbs. With beach wheels two people can usually get it off the beach with out too much trouble. Some times the beach is a little steep and it is harder but doable.

I may be able to get a Rebel 16' but this boat weighs 700 lbs.
I doubt if I could move it off the beach by hand even if I made wheels. It comes with a trailor but I can't get the trailor in to this beach.
There are some heavy duty poles at the top of the beach so I was thinking of some kind of block and tackle system but that sounds slow, we are talking about hauling about 250'. Also getting it back down to the water is a problem.
Anyone solve this problem. Probably should just forget about the Rebel but thought I would ask in case I'm missing something.
I have seen small motorized units that folks use to move thier RV's around parking lots and in tight spaces where a vehicle can't fit. These ussually have a ball on it to connect to the trailer. If your setup has wheels it should give you the extra umph needed to pull it to where you need it as long as it doesn't get stuck in the sand. Letting a little air out of the tires might help in addition to a few friends adding a little muscle. Depends on the beach though I guess.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook