Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
A boat that is weighted down too much (and 4" below the bootop qualifies) is just not going to react properly to the waves and will begin a chain of events that is not headed in the right direction.

I completely agree with the train of thought that states that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule. While being stubborn and strongheaded can get you out of some problems it probably serves to get you into a whole bunch of others. I feel bad for George and the end of the dream he worked so hard for, but......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2009

ROSA is on a distinguished road
I too feel very deeply for George and his loss. He is a hell of a man IMHO. It is quite a feat to singlehand a 42 footer under ideal conditions.

No second guessing here, I was not there either and have never had to deal with his situation. If we sail long enough our turn will come, through lack of perfection, illness, weather, system failures, or some combination of those.

Walk a mile in my shoes comes to mind. And when my time comes, and it will, I know George and Gringo will come to mind.
Old 11-04-2009
Too Many T-Shirts

capngil is on a distinguished road
Found at Sea

Hello all, I wanted to share some further details on the subject. First and foremost, the Vagabond now rates higher in my books as good off shore sailing vessel. The reason I say this is because we have just recieved information from the US Coast Gaurd that the E-pirb on GRINGO activated and was located at 33-12.8N & 055-22.4W at approx 1900z on the 1st of November 09. In communicating with George he stated that "the E-pirb was placed in a duffel bag and left on the cabin floor when he was about to abandon ship" he left it there because the rescue team did not allow him to take anything but critical documents and paperwork. It's in Georges opinion that the boat is still taking on water and the water has reached the floor boards where he left the duffel bag with the E-pirb and it self activated.

As for my primary purpose and question; does anyone know of the cost and feasibility in rescuing a vessel some 525 miles ENE of Bermuda. It would be great to offer some real information as to the possibilty of recovering Georges boat. I understand that this is far reaching to say the least but I have to ask.

As for logistics, well water evacuation (gas pump) and a tow would be the quickest answer but with the weather off shore in these waters I don't think it's possible. If anyone has any input please share it. I will update later with detailed information as it's made available. Until then lets learn from our mistakes.

Gil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
If there is water above the floorboards; she might be gone before you get there. It's closer to 550 miles due east of Bermuda (~80deg bearing) so the best possible way would be to fly to Bermuda and then hire a salver to go retrieve it. But that is all at the discretion of the salvage company as it was when he was trying to get in to Bermuda to begin with.

For the most part I think the vessel is lost; unless it turns up off the coast of the Azores in a few months.

Sorry to hear this story; but it does serve as a reminder that the devil is in the details when it comes to going out across oceans and into unknown ports.
Old 11-06-2009
Too Many T-Shirts

capngil is on a distinguished road
Timming

I agree that time is running out. I know the boat well and I am actualy amazed that its been out there this long and hasn't gone under yet. That said, if the water just got to the floor boards after 4 months it will be another month before the main house battery bank will be under water; from there its all over. Im sure that motoring it anywhere is out of the question as the starter and aux bank are gone by now. Anyways, in speaking with george he's pretty much had it with Gringo and has said his farewell. If anybodys know of somebody out there, re-direct them to the boat as there's plenty of goods on booard. Im sure George would be happier if somebody got something rather than the abyss. If done maybe they culd send him his photo album (family photos and stuff) as a thanks....

gil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2009

osirissail is on a distinguished road
I could not find in a quick scan of this thread - where and when he bought the boat. If it was in the time frame 2005 to 2007 and in the southern/eastern USA or the Caribbean, it is likely that the boat was a Hurricane Ivan boat.
- - It is very important when searching for a boat to get the history of where the boat was during its life. Over 600 boats were wrecked on Grenada during Hurricane Ivan. More than half were in boatyards and simply fell off their jackstands. Being there in the aftermath of the Hurricane I saw up close and personal how just falling off jackstands can severely damage the insides of a boat. The most typical damage was fractured tabbing on all the bulkheads. Even when the outside hull looked intact the insides were a mess.
- - These boats were declared total losses and then packed onboard DYT and taken up island or motored down to Trinidad or other places. A few were locally repaired but most went back to the USA for sale to companies specializing in cleaning up the boat cosmetically and selling the boat, as is, where is at very attractive prices. Even the locally repaired and other repaired boats were not correctly repaired and thus were candidates for future disasters should they encounter large seas.
- - So add to your list when considering buying a used boat - what is its history? Get a legally binding clause in the sales contract that it was not a hurricane wrecked/damaged boat. Make your surveyor check bulkheads and other damage hidden inside if you suspect the boat was ever in a hurricane zone.

Last edited by osirissail; 11-06-2009 at 08:39 PM.