Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
The third fault here in what I call the "T" factor. Simply put "testosterone factor". It is that male BS machismo and/or ego.
After reading tons of sailing blogs, it is the admiral who takes the caution approach to things most of the times and says lets wait until things are proper or the wx gets better.
Mea culpa. More than once The Admiral has vetoed the #1 or insisted on a reef, and each time it turned out she was right.

Melrna, my sincere condolences to your friend and his boat. I hope he can someday find himself another worthy boat and again pursue his dream, hopefully a wiser sailor, and that GRINGO is found and rescued by somebody who will love her.

It's easy to sit here in my easy chair and say I cannot imagine setting-out on a voyage such as that planned by your friend without a series of incrementally longer, and more difficult, sea trials - not-to-mention setting out knowing some things needed immediate attention and other things were in an unknown state, but I also readily admit I've committed my share of foolish acts in my life, so I'll withhold judgment and criticism.

Finally: Thanks for sharing the lesson.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-25-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling error
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2009

Undine is on a distinguished road
Semi,

I think you found the key:
"a series of incrementally long, and more difficult, sea trials"

For almost 10 years now I have been reading the blogs of folks who were starting on an open ended cruise to try to find the secret for success. I found that most new "open ended" cruisers made a series of mistakes, rarely serious, that were of a predictable nature. It didn't matter if they had blue-water experience, or had vacationed on their boat the last 5 years, or were complete newbs. No matter what you have done before, all voyages are different. And the best way is to ease gradually into your new adventure and always have a Plan B.
Old 07-28-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
I have been thinking about this event a little, as i plan to someday make a similar journey. Bought the old Tartan 30 two years ago , to learn to sail for 5 years till I retire. This mis-adventure gives me "food for thought".
I find that to have wired a boat with a "single wire going to each load" to be a warning sign that there were many potential things amiss ?

Reading Joshua Slocum's tale of circiumnavigation, when he couldn't make his planned route he saild back around part of a continent ,and took about another month or so to recover his position.
Old 07-29-2009

JungleJim is on a distinguished road
Always a helpful read

Lin and Larry Pardey write about their frist trip where they fly in from England, hop in their newly purchased boat sight unseen, sail out of Rhode Island and head for Bermuda. To this day, the scariest sailing experience for both. Only difference - they made it. What would have happened to their sailing careers if their innaugural trip ended the same as George? Regardless, my wife and I are picking up our new home in Honolulu in 3 weeks for the sail (with 3 experienced additional crew) for the trip to San Diego. I've been devouring all ocean crossing sailing material I can find, including the horror stories. This experience of George has me yet again double/triple checkeng my pre-sail list. Two good points reinforced this thread; avoid "macho-shite-headism" and fatigue. Thanks again Mel.
Old 07-29-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Keep us posted on your trip Jungle. Sounds like it'll be a great one.

Fair winds, dude!
Old 10-20-2009
Too Many T-Shirts

capngil is on a distinguished road
Comments on a lost boat

Hey all, just found this thread through a search (and another forum) while we were speaking about George our long lost friend. Yes, I know George, I know of the situation and I also know the boat very well as I helped him with a few projects every now and then, but mostly I pondered his choices on many others projects. Now please don't get me wrong I am not knocking a friend, but in reading this thread I see that learning is (and should be) of utmost importance here.

That said, I am dissapointed in George and I'm sure that he is aware of it. He is a difficult man that wears heavy duty earplugs and extremly narrow blinders, but he none the less is a good man. I am sure that he is very aware of his errors and is trying real hard to accept his mistakes.

So what can we learn from this event:

Loose the pride and listen to truth when it is made apparent by many many many others.

Take action when issues are minor and are managable; you may be the only person who can keep them from becoming unmanagable and at some point it will be just that.

Shake down cruises are not to be taken lightly; I make it a habbit to stress a boat enough until I break three substancial components. This doesn't gaurantee that something else won't go wrong, but by doing so you are some much more savy about your boat and what it can do.

Know your abilities and confine yourself to remaining just beyond those limitations; this could be either or a combination of technical, physical, mental, experience, etc.

Have an alternative plan available, if not feasible, then reach out as soon as you deem it necessary; in this case there was some 900 plus miles of habital coast line to the port where timely repairs could have been made.

Timing is everything especially with weather, don't try and cheat, compress, expand, manipulate, ignore or overmanage time; especially on a sailboat, if you do, you had better be prepaired to pay a price for your efforts.

To those new coastal and/or blue water cruiser out there:

Know your abilities and that of the vessel that you are sailing; make it a goal to push the limits when you can so that you are better prepaired to react when you have to. Because it's not a matter of "if you need be ready" but a case of "when you need be ready". That said I'm not simply speaking about bad wheather off shore on your way to Bermuda in a boat that is having multiple failures.

Gil

PS... Hey Melissa, wasss up neighbor, have you tried the Whisker Pole yet?
Old 10-20-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
+1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-20-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Hi Gil.
Welcome to Sailnet.. Saw you on the cam yesterday. Will try out the whisker pole next trip out when the winds allow it. Thanks for everything you are the best!. Still looking for a trip down to visit George. Next boat project, battery relocation. Will need the table saw when I start that project.
A brief intro into a modest great friend Gill. He is the on extraordinary master craftsman, none I have never seen in my life. He has rebuilt his boat an Alden 57 ( I hope I have that one right Gill) from the ground up. His engineering skills are remarkable. I hope he continues his expertise here to answer questions on boat systems from those simple minded mortals lost in the sea of boat repairs. I cannot thank Gill enough for all the advise and help he has given me on my boat, sailing techniques and genuine friendship.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 10-20-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngil View Post
So what can we learn from this event:

Loose the pride and listen to truth when it is made apparent by many many many others.
I have mixed feelings on this one.

Obviously you want to be objective, in as much as that is possible, and see what the truth is, but a lot of times many many many others are wrong about what the truth is and can give you bad advice! I think what you are after is a mindset where you are able to be resolute, yet objective, two things that aren't always easy to "be" in one person! I have to say, though, that if someone is contemplating sailing around the world I think if they had to choose between one or the other, I'd rather see someone who was sure of themselves even if they were wrong than I would someone who wasn't sure of themselves but was objective. Being pig headed is highly under-rated in the modern world. I just don't think anyone could ever do something like sail around the world if they just listened to what everybody said, because in the end the vast majority of people wouldn't go.

Edit - Nothing ever gets done by committee.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-20-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-20-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Wind_Magic: In this case I would have to disagree with you. The man and boat wasn't' ready for such an adventure and the results speak for themselves. The lessons here are many and important for anyone considering sailing a boat in true bluewater conditions. Since Gill and I know the man and the boat personally he didn't listen to us or anyone else for that matter on his great adventure. There are many other factors which I didn't speak of and will remain silent on for it is not important for discussion here. What is important is when someone speaks about safety for boat and crew, one should at least consider the advise. George did not. He lost two boats during his sailing career. That says a few things about the seamanship and metal of the man.
You said that if every one listens to advise than many shouldn't go. Having read countless blogs, many shouldn't go in the first place. They place themselves and crew in grave danger. At times they place other boats in danger as well trying to rescue them from their own stupidity or lack of preparedness. It is a fine line when a sailor decides to set sail into the blue planet for preparedness of both man and boat. The lessons learned on this tragic sail are presented here so everyone can learn from; to make the decision themselves on when to cut the docklines.
Catalina 445, Hull #90