Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I can't really argue against your point Melrna, I'm against the 13 year old going!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2009

CapnScott is on a distinguished road
It seems rather odd that in 5 years of retrofitting the boat, the primary boat systems were apparently not touched or retrofitted, i.e. pull and clean/replace all tanks, complete engine overhaul or service, replace all hoses and lines, thruhulls, seacocks, etc., replace/rebed all hardware, etc., etc., etc.
It does little good to do 5 years worth of cosmetic fixes and stocking up, and yet barely bother with the primary boat system components that your life (and the boat's life) depends upon...particularly when prepping for a circumnavigation.

With that said, just about every sailing magazine that you pick up has tales of sailors buying boats and 'just go(ing) for it' with little to no preparation or shakedown trips....so its no wonder readers of these magazines would follow suit. Look at the current issue of 'Good Old Boat' for instance (Sept/Oct 2009, pg 28), Part of it may be the romance that sells the magazines and the lifestyle, I don't know.
Old 10-22-2009

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
I have experience of some nasty weather and long sails, though not singlehanded. Heres my tuppence on a very interesting thread

I wouldnt be so hard on Geogre, You have to be somewhat bullheaded and stubborn just to undertake this type of adventure. If he had succeeded he would be lauded as a right old salt etc.

I dontn think the condition of the boat was terminal , far from it. It may have preyed on Geoges mind, if you fix things yourself and then they all fail, thats tends to knock the self-confidence out of you.

The primary error was one to keep heading for a destination whatever the reason. When you are in a survival storm ( whatever that is will depend on your circumstances), you need to protect the boat no matter what, Insisting on sailing to Bermuda cost him the boat, whereas he could have sailed out of the storm or at least sailed on a more comfortable direction. SO what you end up away from your "destination", youre alive , the boats ok etc, Thats what important. "land is teh sailors enemy".
Old 10-22-2009
Too Many T-Shirts

capngil is on a distinguished road
Lost and Found at sea?

Goboatingnow, Exactly 900 miles of coastline, pleanty of opportunity but sadly fixed on only one destination (blinders).

As for the boat being terminal (sinking); we feel it became terminal within two weeks of abandonment (if someone hasn't salvaged it) for she was taking on a lot of water through the suffing box and the batteries/pumps would give out by then.

In later discussion with George he made a comment that the bulkheads and attachment points were most likely OK. So for you Vagabond owners out there fear not, the Vagabond should still be considered a fine blue water boat for its class of build. The noises he heard and his concerns were from things being tossed about below. I guess I could imagine one thinking all hell and hull is breaking loose under such duress and the mental conditions he was in.

I wonder if someone went after the boat? If so, I can tell you that the boat had almost every possible system (all new) on it, not to mention countless thousands in tools. I'm thinking salvage on the vessel was made later, because of all the catter on Bermuda radio, but I haven't heard any news to back it up. Does anyone know how to search for information on lost vessels? It would be great to be able to provide George with some info on his boat.

Gil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Gil - in one of the videos - the boat seems to get run over by the cruise ship. There's a lot of crunching sound and the masts shudder like the shrouds were breaking. Was the cruise ship captain trying to intentionally scuttle her? Even if not, it sure seemed to do a lot of damage - and the boat seems to be low at the stern after that.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-22-2009

ericread is on a distinguished road
Smacky;

Where can I access the video? I was unable to find it in perusing this thread...

Thanks.

Eric
Old 10-22-2009
Too Many T-Shirts

capngil is on a distinguished road
How increase a boats performance

Smackdaddy; not sure if the captain was intentionally trying to sink her, but you are right she did get a bit of a beating. I don't think that the contact you hear and see would have done so much damage to that boat, it was pretty stout, but I could be wrong. As Melissa stated earlier and I agree, the boat was a tank, it felt solid under your feet and had very little movement to it. Of course this could be due to the following.......

As for the bootline depth, well you have a good eye. It's funny that you mention this as it has always been one of our funny comments with George and Gringo. The man had the boat loaded up with soo much stuff (tools, materials, dive gear, extra parts, supplies, etc, etc, etc....) that the top of the bootline sat a good 4 inches below the water while in the slip.

I often joke about how he secretly and knowingly was making his boat a better performing sailboat; we sailors know that there are many way to make a boat perorm better of which two are to reduce our lateral windage or area from water line to the deck and secondly we could increase Keel depth. That said, doesn't overloading a boat enought to sink her by 16" decrease the windage and increase the keel depth by the same amount.... If you agree and/or you are laughing, you now know how we loved to and will continue to joke with our friend George.

On a serious educations note: I made a comment to a few friends including George about how overloading a boat by so much could affect the roll frequency of the boat. It seems to me that the wave influence on the boat would not be in time with the motion or movement of the boat. Or in other words the boat would be traveling, lets say to port from a previous wave and linger in its motion so long that the next wave would hit it ackwardly. I also feel that the boat would plow through a wave rather than float up over it, which is may be why his deck was constantly awash. I'm no nautical engineer, but I'm sure that a boats boyancy is important and altering it by so much may affect its performance if not safety. Again, this is only my opinion, I may be wrong and if so someone please do not hesitate to educate me on this matter.

Gil

Old 10-22-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Makes you think about the effect a sailor's personality has on his or her boat and their ability to make safe passage. A big part of seamanship would seem to be the ability to master your unseamanlike impulses. Note to self: when at sea, think first and foremost of my ship's well-being. Heave-to and drink rainwater for a few days. Make for Spain when my boat tells me she wants to go to Spain.

I have to add that George's story is one hell of a good read. He seems rather modest as he tells the story.
Old 10-22-2009

bashmaki is on a distinguished road
About the original thread:

I am a newbie. As one poster said, "This SHOULD be required reading." It is very sobering from all directions; both the log and the commentary by Melrna.
I am sure many of us have made the same decisions about an event as George at some point in lives. George merely chose this event. It was dramatic.
Thanks George and also Melrna, It was both inspiring as well as tragic. It was real!

gus

Last edited by bashmaki; 10-22-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericread View Post
Smacky;

Where can I access the video? I was unable to find it in perusing this thread...

Thanks.

Eric
Eric - see the first post for the links to the videos.

Gil - another thing that struck me in all this was the comment that at hearing all the banging below during the storm that George felt that the boat was coming apart.

This mental aspect of single-handing in bad conditions is very interesting I can just imagine that kind of tricks your mind plays on you when you're on high alert 24 hours a day with little sleep and little control over your situation.

I think I dig the idea of crew. As you can see, I need my beauty sleep.

Great write up Gil - thanks for the insight.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40