Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
My boat floats!

Let the first sentence of this post be a gigantic thank-you to Sailingdog, he is my personal boat hero. Without his help this boat would still be sitting in the yard. He is a genuinely good person with a huge heart.

All the planned boat projects (new electrical being the biggest) are complete. Only thing left is fixing the VHF antenna, it looks like the one that came with the boat is toast. Could be a crappy connector (since I put it on myself, maybe I messed that up), or it could be a broken antenna since it was lashed to the side of the boat for a while and was being stepped on constantly.

I thought I messed up the anchor light, but it only dawned on me a few hours ago that the light has a photodiode and of course it won't turn on at noon...

Then the engine took forever to start. Once it finally got going, Sailingdog undid the docklines and shouted "Go!". Of course I thought that was completely insane, having never piloted a boat in reverse under power before, but off we went (well after stalling out & having SD spend another 15 minutes trying to make the engine start). I managed not to T-bone any of the fancy yachts all over the place, we found the mooring (which had become an artificial reef this late in the season), tied up the boat, and then left since it looked like rain.

Pics below. The last pic at the mooring, I have a tarp tied down over the starboard windows, they leak like a sieve and we're supposed to get torrential downpours tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
it looks like you have one of those retractable masts, its not there in 2 pics and it is in the third. reverse is easy, controlling it is the harder part, the trick is let it pick up some speed before you try to turn.
Old 07-21-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
The retractable mast is in case of capsize. You just pull the mast up through the bottom and start sailing again.
Old 07-21-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForCruiser View Post
The retractable mast is in case of capsize. You just pull the mast up through the bottom and start sailing again.
now thats funny i dont care who you are /larry the cable guy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.