Our Delivery Trip, Connecticut to Maryland (LONG with PICS)
Some of you know that we purchased our 1984 Sabre 34 this winter, and in May we sailed her home from Essex Connecticut to the South River on the Chesapeake Bay. I promised a full account and some pics, so I've put them together below. I did not promise it would be entertaining, but I hope you enjoy reading about it as much as we got out of the trip ourselves.
A little background, we divided up our trip into two "legs". The first leg was from Essex, CT to Norfolk, VA. My 3 crew (4 of us total) were all from the Norfolk area, so logistically this worked out best. Cape May was a back-up landfall point if we needed it, but we did not.
Leg 2 was Norfolk to home in Valinor's new slip on the South River. For that leg, my wife and our 14-year old joined us.
Let's start with Leg 1:
May 2, 0600 - After a couple days of prepping the boat, provisioning, etc., we departed just after 6am. It was very cold, heavily overcast, and raining, as it would be most of our trip. Fun fun! :) Here's Valinor just before pulling out of the slip.
Winds were light as we motored South down the Connecticut River, and the rain continued. You can see the Old Lyme railroad bridge in the background. We heard from the locals that if you don't refer to the bridge correctly over the radio, the operator will not answer, or will most definitely correct you. We made sure we used the wording provided by Essex locals!
Saybrook Breakwater Light marked our exit from Connecticut River, into Long Island Sound at 0714, May 2.
Originally, I had been considering heading East, straight "outside". However, even though winds were light, there had been strong Southerly winds for several days beforehand, and the waves were out of the SW at 9+ feet with a very short period. With little or no wind to drive us through that, and a new-to-us boat, I chose to head through NYC instead. I think we made the right choice.
Long Island Sound was glassy for a good while, and we continued to motorsail.
Around 1330, the sky cleared up, sun came out, and the wind piped up! Hoorah! We unfurled full sail, lowered the centerboard, and started beating up the Sound. You can even see where we had to tack across the Sound on our track (far below).
Of course, it only lasted a couple hours at best, but we were happy to enjoy it while it lasted. Here's a pic of one of my crew at the helm, which I'm posting mostly just to prove it was sunny for a few minutes (both to you and ME).
We were able to motorsail the rest of the way to Throgs Neck. We watched the sun set as we approached the bridge.
This is Throgs Neck Bridge at 2048 on May 2. We anchored after 2100 right next to the bridge, just as the light disappeared. We used the new Rocna for the first time, and it grabbed right away and held all night. I can't remember the name of the basin on the south side of the river, but we'd traveled 83 nautical miles in 15 hours. A long day.
May 3, 0500 - We got up early and were underway after heating up some hot water and filling our thermoses. We departed in time to make the trip with the current, ever-so-important for this transit through NY. We have a ton of pictures of running through New York, but I'll only post a few. The weather was rainy again, cold, and not much wind. We motored all the way through the East River, doing as much as 10-11 knots over the ground.
On a side note, we filled thermoses with hot water whenever we could. So we could always drink coffee, eat oatmeal, or make a cup of soup. It worked very well for us.
Here's the old orphanage at North Brother Island. I had been this route before, but had previously passed north of the island and had never seen this building before.
Here's Valinor with the city skyline in the background. You can see the Empire State Building in the clouds, along with the Chrysler Building, which my wife affectionately calls the "Baby State". :) Behind the dodger, you can see my father behind the video camera.
And the Empire State by itself.
At 0819, here's me at the helm with a look back at downtown.
We continued to head South, dodging ferries, ships, and as many raindrops as we could. :)
By this time, we were thinking it would be a good idea to take on some diesel, since we'd used up a good bit already, and a fill-up would mean we could motor all the way to Norfolk if we had to. However, it was still Sunday morning, and it never occurred to us that it was so early in the season that many fuel docks would not be open. We eventually found one--Atlantic Highlands Municpal Marina.
This is where the pictures start to drop off. After filling up with diesel, we made our way into the Atlantic, and between the rain, waves, watch changes, and oh--did I mention the rain?--we didn't take many pics. We motorsailed most of the way, but did get some sailing in from time-to-time.
About watchkeeping - We always had two crew on watch. Each person was on for 6 hours, but rotations were staggered by 3 hours, so every 3 hours there were fresh eyes on deck. That also meant we each had 6 hours off between watches, and it worked very well for us. We wore inflatable PFDs and harnesses at all times, with everyone clipped, especially when on deck.
Winds were on the port quarter most of the way, and we had the main with a single reef and a preventer rigged at all times. We had so much rain, that every hour or so we had to go on deck (even at night) to empty all the collected water from the reefed main. Big "balloons" of water were created between each reef tie. Without emptying, I'm sure the main would've been permanently damaged or ripped. Doing this at night, with the boat rolling on a broad reach in the rain, was less than fun.
This pic (note the visitor on the stern rail next to me) should give you some idea of the visibility. If you think it's tough to see things here, image it at night! We were very happy to have radar for this trip.
A few noteworthy events, by the way:
With the XM Weather, we could watch the forecasted vectors for each cell. With that information, and a whole lot of luck/guessing, we were able to pretty much dodge all the worst storms. The strangest part was the very heavy lightning combined with fog. I had not seen that before--it was eerie at times. I was on watch for most of this, and a lot of it was simply processing the info and going with your gut. If we didn't have XM though, I believe we would've run into the heart of some of the cells.
At 0300 on May 5, I came on watch just in time as we approached the mouth of the Chesapeake and the Bridge Tunnel. We crossed through the tunnel around 0430. There was very heavy traffic in both directions through both entrances, and we had to cross one lane of traffic to get to the southern entrance. We actually crossed over the bridge tunnel along with both a large tanker and a tug boat, all at the same time. Needless to say, we stuck to the edge of the channel.
By 0530, we were in our slip in Norfolk, VA. We cracked open some beers (our internal clocks didn't care if it was morning), and toasted to our success. http://www.picpiggy.com/smile/party/party0012.gif Here's Valinor at 0633 on May 5.
The cabin was very damp down below. We'd essentially been rained on for nearly 72 hours, and each time we went below we brought water with us. I cannot convey to you how wet we were, though I must say our foulies kept us mostly dry underneath. When we left the boat on May 5, we wiped down as much as possible, flipped up all cushions for air, and left two large moisture absorbing buckets from West Marine in there.
We had a SPOT on board for Leg 1, and here is the route we ended up with.
All in all, it was a successful trip because we made it in good time, covering 328 nautical miles in 71 hours, which included 9 hours at anchor the night of May 2. Everyone was safe, the boat in good condition (although wet), and I learned a lot about our boat.
I will say that it was a very cold, wet trip, without much sailing. Deliveries can be that way, I suppose. If I had to do it again, I might wait a few extra weeks until it warmed up more before trying it. But we wanted to get Valinor home to MD as soon as possible. On the plus side, because we got her home earlier, we've enjoyed several extra weekends on the Bay.
Nevertheless, I was excited to have Valinor in the Chesapeake Bay.
If any of my crew reads this, I just want to say "thank you" to them for all of their help in getting Valinor to the Bay. I couldn't have asked for more reliable and experienced crew on board, and because of them, I was able to sleep soundly when off watch, knowing Valinor was in good hands.
I'll post a bit about Leg 2 in my next post.
Great Post! Thanks for sharing.
Since you have a SPOT, go to Spot Adventures and set up a free account linked to your spot account. You can post the pictures that you have here (and more) and it will show them along the track. Pretty cool stuff for free!
Again, great post.
Nice writeup! Can't wait for Leg 2!
Thanks for posting!
Leg 2 - Norfolk to South River
Valinor spent the remainder of the week in Norfolk, my crew went home, and I also went back to MD to work for a few days. My wife and step-son and I returned together on Friday, May 8, spent the night on the boat, and then departed Saturday morning. Unfortunately, we didn't take many pics, but here's a recap.
We found the boat in good order, and a couple of my crew had each come back to check on her multiple times during the week--Thanks guys!
We got a later start than we intended on Saturday morning. We didn't need any fuel because we topped off with our remaining jugs on deck. After settling up with the marina, here we are motoring out of the marina after 1130 on May 9.
The weather was much more agreeable, with Easterly winds at about 15-20. We were able to reach with a single reefed main, and make good speed. However, with the late start, we didn't get to our desired destination. We were shooting for somewhere north of Windmill Point, which would've been about 50 miles. Instead, we tucked into Jackson Creek, at Deltaville, MD, about 43 miles.
I had forgotten how tricky the entrance to Jackson creek can be (it's been 20 years), but we made it in OK and anchored in a beautiful spot. That evening we had some severe thunderstorms come through, with winds up around 35-40 inside the creek and spectacular lightning. Our new anchor held solid, even with multiple wind shift, so we slept well.
May 10 - Winds shifted to the North at about 20 knots, with 3 - 4 foot waves in short period--we call it the "Chesapeake Chop". It was dead on the nose, and we had somewhere to be. I hate that. Some boats that came out before us turned around to head back into Deltaville. We continued on, motorsailing of course straight into it, taking wave after wave of water over the bow for about 10 hours.
Valinor just plugged along though, and the ride was not too uncomfortable. I had worried that my step-son, who is not an experienced sailor, would just hate every second of it. Instead, he thought it was great, and still raves about the fun he had in the Chesapeake Chop! He and my wife stayed tucked underneath the dodger, so they were dry.
We stuck with it, and made 62 nautical miles that day, and tucked into Mill Creek at Solomons, MD, for the night.
May 11 - The wind shifted for the better, and even though it was a rainy again, we were able to sail about 60% of the time home to the South River. The trip was uneventful for the most part, and after the entire journey, the 45 miles home seemed pretty easy.
We even backed into the slip on the first try--don't know how! We unloaded the gear, and that night crashed hard into deep sleep.
Here's a pic of Valinor in her brand new slip, the morning after we arrived.
Sorry I don't have more pics of this leg, and we didn't have the SPOT with us this time either.
We were satisfied to have made it home safe and sound, with crew and boat intact. I was happy that my wife and step-son participated in the delivery of our new boat, and they were too.
Valinor had traveled over 530 nautical miles in a short period of time. Actually 6 days and two nights underway, all together. We learned a lot about the boat and her gear as well. Figured out what needed to be replaced right away, and what could wait.
I'll post a few learnings next.
What I learned
Well, I learned a lot! It had been almost 10 years since my last offshore/coastal passage, and my first as the skipper of my own boat. These lists are sort of random, and we didn't make any huge mistakes (thankfully), but I thought it might be useful to think through it.
- I could've waited a few more weeks to bring the boat home, and had a little warmer, more pleasant weather. On the other hand, that choice could have resulted in sunny skies, but blowing like snot out of the SW! Still, there was less urgency to get her home than I probably felt inside.
- We should have planned better for locations where we could refuel, etc. Although it ended up not being a huge problem, we spent a great deal of time trying to locate a marina that a) had diesel fuel, and b) was OPEN.
- Time probably didn't allow for this in reality, but I would have preferred to rebed all the deck hardware and chainplates before the trip. We did have some water coming into the boat in some spots, in addition to all the water we brought in ourselves. It was not unsafe, and I don't believe any actual damage was done. But more dry = more comfortable.
- I should have started looking for spare diesel jugs earlier in the process. Those that we bought, which are the very common, widely available sort, we got just before departure. They have the safety nozzles which keep them from venting, but make it nearly impossible to refill on the go. We had to top off our tank underway in the ocean. I'll just say this really was impossible without either spilling diesel or modifying the nozzle. Either option is bad.
- This is more of a purchase thing, but I should have known that just about any project that we didn't get done before launch would not get done until next year. We've been sailing Valinor so much that we've had no time to work on her. This is a good thing! But it was unrealistic to think we'd have "all this time" to get more projects done at home.
- Should have noticed that the stove had no pot holders (or whatever you call them) mounted on it. It made cooking much more difficult because we had to practically hold the pot in place. The stove/oven is gimbaled, which helped.
Some things done right...
- We had good crew, all able to sail and navigate alone if necessary.
- The boat was pretty well prepared. We had two test sails beforehand as well, and discovered a few things during those. We had plenty of provisions with hot and cold food, easy to prepare (or just eat right away).
- We chose the best route for the conditions, via NYC. That gave us a 1-day shakedown as well, before heading out into the ocean. The freshwater leak we had would've been much more nerve-wracking if we were already at sea when we thought we had a hull leak.
- We used a preventer at all times off shore. The boom stayed still even when we rolled, and didn't load up the rig too much.
- Harnesses and PFDs at all times. We were religious about it.
- Hot water at watch changes to top off the thermoses. Coffee, oatmeal, hot soup--kept the crew warm and happy even though it was wet.
- While sailing down the coast, we gave ourselves plenty of searoom, while still remaining within striking distance of shore.
- We reefed early, and stayed reefed at night.
And other stuff I learned:
- The Sabre 34 is nicely balanced, and the hull shape makes for a pretty comfortable ride. Even on the wind, we had little weather helm.
- I've been sailing beamy, flat-bottomed boats for a good while, so the initial healing of this boat took some getting used to. However, she locks in after that initial heal and the motion is comfortable.
- The old clamcleats that held the traveler line were shot and should have been replaced before we left.
- Bonine, taken in advance of heading offshore, is your friend. :D
I'll probably think of a bunch of other stuff too. Looking back on this list, I think I'm missing most of the good stuff. But it's a start, and I hope it makes for an interesting read. For me personally, it helps me recap the trip and my thoughts along the way.
Thanks for "listening"!
Thanks for the recap! See you on the Bay!!
Great post Jos, we need to get together soon for a brew...or two.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012