Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Jeez Pain! What a contrarian freakin' troublemaker! Are you trying to put a rip in the Sailnet/Time continuum?

I learned to sail on a 30, bought a 27 as a first boat, and am looking at a 40 as our next. I'm also looking at getting a Laser or Hobie for the kids.

Pain's got it right. Free love. Free sailing. Just have fun with it for crying out loud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Jeez Pain! What a contrarian freakin' troublemaker! Are you trying to put a rip in the Sailnet/Time continuum?

I learned to sail on a 30, bought a 27 as a first boat, and am looking at a 40 as our next. I'm also looking at getting a Laser or Hobie for the kids.

Pain's got it right. Free love. Free sailing. Just have fun with it for crying out loud!
WWBMD (What Would Bernard Moitessier Do)??

That's right! He'd hit a reef and sink. But BEFORE that, he'd enjoy the sailing!
Old 07-24-2009

dganchor2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post

That's really a shame because they are so much fun to sail. If you could get her to just do one sail (calm day with little chop) she might change her mind. If you can find an old G-Cat in good shape they are even better than a Hobie for the wife. G-Cat's are nearly impossible to flip (you've really gotta be trying) and have a very usable front trampoline so they have a lot more people room.

DB
I couldn't agree more. I learned on Sunfish and Lasers (you get a great feel for saying when you can't rely on a motor), before moving on to Hobies. Never been on a G-cat, but Hobie's new rolled-hull Getaways are very comfy and tremendously stable (I've never flipped mine accidentally, and I sail in the gulf in 25-30 knots of wind). Tradeoff, of course, is that it's a lot heavier. But it's great to be able to draw up on shore.
Old 07-24-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey dg - welcome to SN dude!
Old 07-24-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Pain....
Way to go Man! your a real Pain, you know that right???
You know that having a contrary opinion is not allowed!!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-24-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Pain....
Way to go Man! your a real Pain, you know that right???
You know that having a contrary opinion is not allowed!!

Old 07-24-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The Admiral and I bought the smallest boat in which I could comfortably stretch out in at least two of the berths, which happened to be a 30' boat, based on the premise that what we were largely going to do was cruise. Well, here we are, two seasons later, having done no more than having over-nighted on her a couple times with the boat in her slip . We day-sail and (club) race. Knowing what we know now, would be choose differently? Perhaps. Perhaps not. That 30' really isn't all that difficult for us to double-hand, and we still plan to cruise... eventually.

Btw: In our sail club (note I wrote sail club, not yacht club), we're one of the "smaller" boats .

Btw2: Both of us had sailing/crewing experience before buying Abracadabra, so we more-or-less knew what to expect.

Jim
Old 07-24-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
The admiral and I, (late 50s , early 60s) learned to sail last year thru a charter club. Decided chartering wasn't for us. Wanted a boat we could grow into, and likely be our last for NW cruising. Got a performance cruiser 39', one head, 2 cabin, all the goodies, 8 years old. Perfect size for us. We doublehand it most of the time, occaisonally have guests for a daysail.

We've sailed most every weekend since the purchase in late January. Unless its blowing like stink or below freezing, we are out there having a blast. We are aware of our strengths and weaknesses, cognizant of our surroundings and conditions and sail accordingly. If we had it to do over, we would change nothing. We should have started sailing 30 years ago.

michael

I fibbed, it doesn't have all the goodies, I still need a dinghy

Last edited by doubleeboy; 07-24-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: I lLied
Old 07-24-2009

peptobysmol is on a distinguished road
Boat buying = marriage
Most think they know what is "best" for them. Some actually seek counseling before taking the plunge. Some go for the skanky trash that need alot of cosmetic work but are cheap and easy to "get in." Some go for the high faluting biotches with very refined tastes but are also "high maintenance."

Some have been 'round the block before and either make the same poor decisions (masochistic) or have learned what its really about and have matured and make a decision based on what fits them the most.

However, either way, most people will have it in their heart to make a decision based on just that.

I'll bet the guy the OP tried to talk out of buying "his" boat will buy one just like it.

IMHO
eherlihy likes this.
Old 07-24-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Just to add... I've taught beginner's sailing in Sabots, intermediate in 15' Capis and then advance in 27' Catalinas... And for the highest we had a 44' yawl. This was at the Naval Sailing Club in San Diego Ca. During the Seventies.
And the Icing was that I ended up as the Training Commodore of that club... I still consider this an honor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 07-24-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.