Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009

snider is on a distinguished road
Wink Doesn't Anyone Start on Small Boats Anymore?

If you're looking to buy your first sailboat do yourself a favor, buy a dinghy or two, one for the wife wouldn't hurt, and learn to sail. If you must have something to sleep on, please nothing bigger than 20 feet. Sail that around for a year, give yourself time to learn what you do and don't like. Try different rigging and sail handling ideas. Learn how much work, money and time go into upkeep and new systems. Learn how much it costs to replace and repair things as well as scheduled bottom paintings and maint.

I just spent a hour on the phone trying to talk a guy out of buying my 27 footer as his first boat. For my sake I hope he didn't listen.

This is just my opinion I'm sure many of you will chime back in with. "My first boat was a 30 footer and I got along just fine" and you probably did, but if you ever want to have a docking or anchoring under sail contest....ohhh how about backing in a slip under sail alone!!!! You're on!

As I buy bigger boats I'm amazed at how cost and labor go up. I recently read a thread about people trading back down. Thats what I did. 27 feet is just to much. I still had the most fun and sailed the most with my 19 footer. Hopefully this new 23 footer will provide the same.

I've spent the last three weeks rebuilding an entire head/waste system, replacing rigging, waterpumps, haulouts...give me small and simple anyday.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Well said, Brandon.
Old 07-23-2009
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I agree . . . sort of . . .

27 isn't so bad for a starter. I agree that you can learn a lot with a dingy but . . . well I don't know . . .

I personally hope the guy buy's your boat snider . . . for you and for him. 30+ and I'd agree with you 100 percent! Btw . . . Love Charleston . . . I could be very happy living there. I lived in Myrtle Beach 'til I was 9.

Hi Sway!!! Long time no talk! Enjoyed meeting you in Chicago! btw . . . I'm re-reading WFB's "Airborne" before bed at night. "Atlantic high" and "Sailing Through Paradise" are next on the re-read list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 07-23-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I couldn't agree with you more. It's easy to sail in light winds on flat water, but it's the basics that you learn by feel on a lightweight boat that teach you how to survive the nasties.
Old 07-23-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i learned on sunfish and then lazers then taught other how to sail sunfish and lasers. i wanted to buy a hobie 2 years ago, but the wife would not even think about going on one.

there are different sailors, some want the small boats some want some comforts. neither is wrong, what they do with their boat is
Old 07-23-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
since i have done most of my sailing on larger vessels the 3o footer i have seemed very small when i first stepped aboard. i wouldn't want anything smaller. i was thinking 40 ft till this came along. i think a person can learn on a vessel this size with proper instruction.
Old 07-23-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Hey I started on my dad's 18 ft skiff a few decades ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-23-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I started with a 33 footer on the basis that the movement was slower (I didn't sail until I was 38) and that mistakes at dock would be spread over a larger chunk of gelcoat. While I agree in principle, I moved to a 41 footer for long-range cruising...the 33 footer was simply inappropriate to modify to that end.

But I've kept her and still sail her and will, after a few years, likely pass on the 41 footer, because it's too much boat for the Great Lakes.
Old 07-23-2009
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I started on a Cornado 15 (#164) in the 70's. I know many folks who learned on 22 to 30 footers on their own and in sailing schools. A good route may be . . . buy the 27 and take classes on small boats. Maybe go for some ASA or US Sailing classes before you buy anything . . . to get the feel before you commit.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 07-23-2009

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
OK, I'll admit it. My first sailboat was a 30 ft Catalina. Took the ASA sailing classes on a 30 ft Islander before I bought her. I'd have loved to be exposed to sailing smaller boats before then, but I wasn't. We sailed her for about 8 years, darned near every weekend, and the only trouble we had was running aground once or twice.

I'm proud to say that my daughter learned to sail a dinghy that we bought shortly after the catalina. Nothing quite like seeing your little girl sail around the anchorage on her own...

That said, I have no regrets about my first sailing experience being on a 30 ft boat.
Beneteau 423 #310