Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
INexpensive way to get Captain's license

Are there books or something to study to pass the neede test? I'd like to get my captain's license without dropping $400 for the course and don't mind doing the work to learn the material.

(Didn't see a similar thread when I did a search.)
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2009

SeanConnett is on a distinguished road
I used "Get Your Captain's License: The Complete Study Guide, Second Edition" by Charlie Wing.
I sat for the 100 ton Masters Near Coastal with a Sailing Endorsement and passed with flying colors. The book also came with a CD that had practice tests on it.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Have Sway take the test for you. On the written portion - the responses will be so long and meandering and have such arcane language there's no way they'll read it.

Hey - have you tried out the Gale Sail yet, Bene? I saw your post about the mast climb - sweet!

Also, we did the heave-to/COB practice this weekend with the whole family aboard. Man, it's amazing how stable things get when you heave-to.
Old 07-27-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Have Sway take the test for you. On the written portion - the responses will be so long and meandering and have such arcane language there's no way they'll read it.

Hey - have you tried out the Gale Sail yet, Bene? I saw your post about the mast climb - sweet!

Also, we did the heave-to/COB practice this weekend with the whole family aboard. Man, it's amazing how stable things get when you heave-to.
Yes, the mast climb was sweet. Haven't tried the Gale Sail yet, not even in light conditions, which I should try first.

We should have tried the heave-to in the SCA we did. We had 2 people heav-ing. Next time I'll use that as a reminder to heave-to.
Old 07-27-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanConnett View Post
I used "Get Your Captain's License: The Complete Study Guide, Second Edition" by Charlie Wing.
I sat for the 100 ton Masters Near Coastal with a Sailing Endorsement and passed with flying colors. The book also came with a CD that had practice tests on it.
Hope this helps.
Thanks SC, that's a big help.

Regards
Old 07-27-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Bene, I highly recommend you go to class, I think you miss out of a lot wisdom and experience of others if you do a self study!

Online OUPV classes
Old 07-28-2009
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Here is my two cents. Now I want to say I am an instructor at an approved school so take my comments with a grain of salt.

In my opinion, if you have a very good understanding of coastal navigation and the 72 Colregs, then these study guides are very useful. In my opinion 50% of the learning on how to take the test is understanding the language of the test questions--which are really designed to trip you up. If someone has taken the ASA 105 Coastal Navigation course and passed it with greater than 90% then the piloting and navigation portions of the test should be a relative "breeze"--pun intended. However, and this is a "BIG" however, if you are not extremely proficient in Coastal Navigation, (especially current/set/drift/course to steer, & three position fix and the cocked-hat triangle) and/or the accuracy of your plots are greater than 0.2 NM, then I would suggest taking a brick-and-mortar course. Additionally, if you are not extremely versed in the Colregs---take a course. One must get a 90% on the Rules of the Road exam--and it is not easy. Additionally, and a lot of people don't appreciate this point, there is a huge amount of responsibility once you get the license. Just to get an idea as to how complicated things can get legally when you have a "ticket", I recommend reading "Farewells Rules of the Nautical Road", by Craig H. Allen.

I encourage people to read this book because often people want to get the title of "Captain" without really understanding the legal responsibility and ramifications of the title. That being said, I have been a Licensed Master with a Sailing and Commercial Assistance Towing endorsement for almost 5 years and it has been the most rewarding professional experience of my life (albeit I only do it part-time because I have a "career" job)

Again--I am not trying to bias a persons view one way or another; I just feel it is important to understand what one is getting into when they get their ticket. I wrote an article a couple of years ago about a portion of the Colregs:

CoastalBoating.net, Risk of collision for the recreational boater, Captain Andrew Seligman, Colregs, collisions at sea, international regulations,

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Yamsailor; 07-28-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2009

SeanConnett is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
However, and this is a "BIG" however, if you are not extremely proficient in Coastal Navigation, (especially current/set/drift/course to steer) and/or the accuracy of your plots are greater than 0.2 NM, then I would suggest taking a brick-and-mortar course. Additionally, if you are not extremely versed in the Colregs---take a course.
Yansailor is right on the money on this point. You really have to be honest with yourself about your plotting skills before sitting for the exam. I was pretty confident with my ability to plot, but that did not stop me from buying the practice charts available at any well stocked chart store. I think I went to "Blue Water Books and Charts" in Ft Lauderdale. God I love that store!
Old 07-28-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Some more information. My motivation is to be able to take people for charter, specifically sunset cruises, to help defray the costs of owning a large boat. I'd need to do the budgeting for insurance and other costs to see if the 12 summer weekends would be worth it. (I'd have to get my liferaft inspected, I'd think.) Making some money would be the ideal.

Knowing more about the rules sounds like a good thing. Better to prevent an accident than to remain more ignorant, mulling over the responsibilities and who gets to point the finger at whom. So that part doesn't bother me that much, unless the setup defies all logic and common sense. And I haven't heard that it's THAT bad. (Is it?)

I've good a bunch of navigation training from flying (private pilot, instrument rated) so accounting for current at different places and times along the route has got to be like accounting for wind drift at different places and times along the route.

I'd love to have the wisdom that comes from an instructor-led course. Are there other ways of gaining this wisdom?

By the way, I bought the book suggested. It was available online for an really good price (third edition, used, CD case still sealed).

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated!
Old 07-28-2009
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
[I'd love to have the wisdom that comes from an instructor-led course. Are there other ways of gaining this wisdom?]

In my opinion, the best way to get the wisdom from an instructor-led course is by taking an instructor-led course. Remember--this is a professional license.

Would you want you commercial pilot to only have practice on a flight simulator or your heart surgeon to practice only on deceased people?

In short--do what you think is best for yourself--I am sure it will be the right decision as long as you are honest with yourself about your abilities.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.