SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

re-naming a boat with only a partial name

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  swimnfit 
#1 ·
So, I'm buying a boat from a guy who never fully named his boat. He had been calling it "first step" but only for a short time and never put the name on the side of her after he bought it from the previous owner.

my question is, can i rename it and what kind of ceremony do i need to do to induct her.

#2 ·
Your Call

IMHO don't believe your boat was ever truly named, so you will be the first. Have her name put on (painted, decal, name board). Ask whatever powers that be you believe in to keep her and all that sail on her safe . Toast her by name with the libation of your choice (best quality of course) If you want you can break a bottle of champagne over her bow (not necessary ). And, if you're really worried, you can sacrifice a goat
:D :D

#4 ·
Do not tempt King Neptune

One cannot underestimate the hold that King Neptune has upon our fate on the water. To this end it is most important not to tempt the King and as previously stated, one cannot be too carefull. IMHO although the boat was not given the name formally, the words of the name of the boat were spken on the water, therfore may have been registered with the Gods of the deep. Similar to the previous link is a special procedure for renaming the boat. Follow it implicitely or tempt fate. Be certain to stalk up on some Champaigne and invite some friends.:D

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.