SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

ANY advice welcome

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RichH 
#1 ·
Hello! I''m a 19 year old college student looking to spend a portion of my summer working on a boat. I also have no experience. I am a hard worker, an eagle scout and loads of other great things, so if there is any advice you could give me as to who to get hooked up with ( i live in North Carolina, but would also like to work on a boat out of the northeast) I would GREATLY appreciate it. I''m looking for any kind of tip on where to go from square 1. Thanks a million.
-Jim

#2 ·
I know you are a college student and when I was in college, a dime was hard to scrounge. But if possible take a class either US sailing or ASA so you can be more marketable. The instructors normally are well rounded nationally as far as contacts and may be able to hook you up. My other opinion would be to work the crew message board as well as you can. Otherwise I''m new at this but wish you the best.

#3 ·
My daughter had a wonderful summer on one of the smaller Tall Ships - the Providence. Try searching Yahoo et al for tall ships and or schooners, there are many sailing in the N.E. doing day charters etc The usual drill is low pay, liveaboard in tight quarters, work hard, and have a blast - you can try thesse sites as a start
http://www.libertyfleet.com/
http://u.webring.com/hub?ring=tallships&id=66&hub

Fair winds Todd

#4 ·
Jim,

You don''t mention what type ship you''d like to work on, but the suggestion of a tall ship is a good one. There are lots of programs out there, so do some looking on the net. One place to start:
http://www.tallshipnewswire.com/page159.html

Good luck!

#5 ·
MOTORSAILING - I am in urgent need of some technical information. I have aYanmar engine, on a 30 ft sailboat (Catalina). I recently had my engine rebuilt. Within less than 3 hours, the engine failed. The mechanic, who charged $5K to rebuild the engine claimed that I must have been motor sailing and that is the reason the engine blew, he claims it overheated. I find this hard to beleive. I was heeling less than 5 degrees (no head sail, and motorsailing into the wind. Water , clear was continuously expelled from the scupper and the rpms were 2200. tHE ALARM WENT OFF (NO GAUGES) AND THE ENGINE WAS TURNED OFF WITHIN 30 SECONDS. I have a report from a Yanmar dealer, and it reports a number of errors during the rebuilding effort (wrong head gasket, plus others). What I need is a reference regarding the max heel angle a Yanmar can properly operate. He claims that Yanmars are sensitive to heeling -which I find hard to beleive - they are one of the best engines and are designed as an aux. engine for sailboats...Please help - URGENT - I am going to court.

#6 ·
Contact a Yanmar "master" distributor.
There are only approx. 3 such masters in the USA. Go to the Yanmar website for identity.
Once you get to a Master distributor by all means just ask technical questions, etc. as a court situation will affect thier customers - local Yanmar distributors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.