Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2002

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Center cockpits +''''s & -''''s

I''m considering the purchase of an older 46 Formosa Sloop with a center cockpit. I haven''t sailed from a center cockpit before and it''ll probably seem a little strange steering from amidships. But I could see some advantages to that. I would appreciate any feedback on the subject.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Hi, DelmarRey.

Even with my limited experience, I have noticed a few differences between CC and aft cockpit boats:

CC: more difficult to monitor sail trim; you generally sit higher off the water so any rolling motion is exaggerated; being closer to the bow you can get more spray; being closer to the bow you can often see and maneuver a bit better in close quarters

I''m sure there are many other aspects to consider but these are all that come to mind right now.

Duane
Old 11-27-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I''ll add a quick few others, Steering systems are generally simplier and more reliable and generally have less friction on aft cockpit boats.

It is usually easier to physically get in and out of an aft cockpit.

Mainsheet controls are usually easier to set up on an aft cockpit. Its easier to look up the slot on a center cockpit, but harder to see around the jib to the horizon.

My biggest gripe with a center cockpit is that the cockpit generally occurs at the point in the boat where there is the maximum beam and headroom available for accomodations and the quietest part of the boat with the least motion. This is where the prime living space should occur. Instead the cockpit and engine room occur in this prime real estate.

Jeff

Old 11-27-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

In addition to Duane and Jeff''s excellent commments, I would like to offer a couple.

I greatly agree with Jeff in that a CC robs space from the cabin below. This is less apparent in a boat like the Formosa46, but redily seen in a boat like the Morgan 43. You lose about 5 ft of cabin in the Morg 43, the saloon is pushed forward to a more narrow beam.

On the plus side, you do get a full aft cabin (though this will be NG for sleeping underway and get less breeze at anchor) and some usable deck space aft...these are generally the attributes many people are looking for when they do chose a CC.

Hope this helps

John

Old 11-27-2002

bob-m is on a distinguished road

I must respectfully disagree with some points in the previous posts. My wife & I cruised full-time for about 12 years. 7 of those years were aboard a 40''C&C (aft cockpit). The last 5 aboard a 41'' Irwin CC. The CC had much more room below. The cubic feet occupied by the engine is MUCH less than the area occupied by the aft cockpit. Initially the salon felt small because the galley and nav station ran outboard of the engine compartment, but the total area allowed for the salon, galley & nav station are about the same on both boats.

The big difference is in the aft stateroom. My wife & I hated sleeping in the v-birth (most nights we slept in different births. The aft stateroom was wonderful. It is very hard to express how much more enjoyable living aboard a boat with a "master suite" is compared to just a v-birth.

As for the heeling motion and ease of trim: at first it did feel awkward, but after a short period of time anything else would have felt odd. It is simply what you get used to. There is a problem with sight aboard a CC vessel. The fore sail obstructs your view.

The steering system in a CC is more complex and we did have some problems on the Irwin.

For coastal cruising it is hard to beat a CC for living aboard. For true blue water sailing an aft cockpit might be more functional.

Regards
Old 11-27-2002

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road

Thanks all! My suspicions were pretty much in line with the replys. I do like the idea of the aft stateroom. although I''m not sure I''d like sleeping next to all the mechinical workings while underway. Also, my intentions are blue water sailing.
Del
Old 11-27-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

bob,
having sailed blue water in both aft cockpit and center cockpit, i would have to vote for the center cockpit. I feel much more secure in the center of the boat and the cockpit has less motion than an aft cockpit. The only thing that takes getting used to is that you have to remember you have a big piece of boat behind you when docking etc.
happy Thanksgiving,
eric
Old 11-28-2002

bob-m is on a distinguished road

Del,
My main complaint about my Irwin CC for blue water use was the location of the nav-station and the cockpit was a bit tight. I have never boarded a Formosa, but I just pulled up a few on the internet. They look very functional. U-shaped galley (some Formosa CC are straight line, not good!!), larger functional nav-station, ****-pit is much large than the Irwin and good storage below. It looks like a great layout. I can''t speak to their construction quality or sailing characteristics. Also, you will probably use the settee as your sea birth while underway.

Eric is correct in his comments. Having the helm in the center affords a more comfortable and stable feel.

Regards
Old 11-28-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The big problem with CC boats for long distance voyaging is that a lot of storage is lost to the passageways. One reason that center cockpit boats appear to offer a lot of accomodations is that much of the best storage areas (saillockers) are used as a part of the interior accomodations, often housing heads and galley areas.

At 46 feet many of the worst criticisms of CC designs are mitigated by the sheer size of the vessel. For example one of my favorite offshore vessels of the moderate to heavy displacement type, is the Formosa built Peterson 46 which of course is a center cockpit.

On the other hand, for offshore sailing ambitions, Formosa 46 foot ketches have far bigger design, sailing and construction problems than the simple problem of whether they are an aft or center cockpit.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2002

tho52mas is on a distinguished road

37" Irwin CC here. My Irwin vs. 34'' Pearson. Pearson heals at 20-25, Irwin 20-30. Mine goes slower. Room inside is HUGE on mine. On trips on Lake Erie in 6''ers, everyone slept in the aft cabin. Like in a baby''s crib. Except for Nina, who slept in the bow cabin and reported flying up and down like in the Exorcist, and she loved it! My nav station runs parallel to the length so your butt rests against the motor doghouse. Perfect. I tried the seating nav stations and cannot believe how it sucks. As for losing room, you could redo the boat your way and eliminate everythig making the motor a coffee table. All in all I will take the center cockpit.