Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
What did you do this weekend?

I worked in the yard all weekend. Been to the boat for the past 5 weekends and figured we needed to get the jungle cut back in the yard. Mulched, mowed, trimmed, shoveled, etc. I would love to hear sailing stories, race results, yarns, lies, etc. Have a good week!!!!
DD

EDIT: Include pics if you got em............
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Traci a became a true sailor yesterday. We were out for a day sail today, about 15 miles from home, when we tacked in what we thought was a channel entrance. As we were part way through the tack, the sail wrapped around the headstay and didn't fill full.We were in Irons. The current pushed us into the channel and then past it. The next thing I noticed was the depth gauge at 2.3 feet, and we weren't moving. With the throttle pushed down and the wheel hard to starboard, we got the boat turned around and aimed in the right direction, but we still weren't moving. The sail was now off the port side and as full as it would get, Traci went forward and came over to the port stays and hung out as far as she could I grabbed the wheel and hung off the port side too. With a good puff of wind at the right moment, we started to move. I didn't even notice it at first, but Traci said we were moving. As I looked off towards the bridge, I could see that we were indeed moving. Within a minute, we were back in the main channel and cruising again. As I turned and looked back, I could see a group of people on a dock, that was a couple hundred yards from where we were grounded, watching the whole event. Our hearts were racing, as we sailed off. It felt really good to get out of the situation without any help. Of course, there wasn't a boat in sight if we would have needed more help. I've been in the same type of situation before, but this was a first for Traci. She didn't jump off the boat and run when we got back to our slip, so I think she'll make a good sailor.
Oh well, just another day sailing.

Dave
Old 08-02-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Congrats but "in irons" refers to motoring and not being able to ... [your explicative here]..Hence the term the Iron Jenny (or Genny)..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 08-02-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Ahem.... In Irons: When a boat is in irons it is pointing into the wind, or is too close to the wind to make headway. In other words it's stopped, dead in the water.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 08-02-2009

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Okay. Sure.
We've all been "in irons" from time to time.

But can anybody point to the derivation of the term?
Old 08-02-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Congrats but "in irons" refers to motoring and not being able to ... [your explicative here]..Hence the term the Iron Jenny (or Genny)..
Jody, the term in Irons has been around longer than motors. Nothing to do motors. Early sailing battle ships unable to maneuver due to lack of forward motion or steerage were like a prisoner “in irons” awaiting execution. (Irons meaning shackles and chains)

Never Forgotten

Old 08-02-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
EDIT: Bubb beat me to it. All I can add is engine is called "Iron Genny" I think because they are often made from cast iron ...

Last edited by FishFinder; 08-03-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2009

OhioTom is on a distinguished road
I spent the weekend with a circular saw, two hammers, and a pry bar cutting the outer skin of my deck off. Lots of rotten balsa scooping and itching from the fiberglass dust.
Old 08-03-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I started the finish on the starboard side bulwark

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-03-2009

docrn is on a distinguished road
I stared at all the flaking paint on my mast trying to decide if I was going to use a chemical paint remover or take it in for a powder blasting. I had to work so tomorrow will be spent working on it...