Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Fog Courtesy? & Cautions

Ok this is going to be a rant but mostly at folks who probably do not participate in these forums anyway.. I'm sure you guys don't behave like this..

I just returned from a rather foggy cruise and the growth of the GPS plotter is causing some rather inflated man jewels, read big balls, on the water. No, make that big reckless balls..

As one who grew up navigating in the fog, long before the advent of GPS plotters, and also one who spent thousands of hours working the foggy waters of Maine as a commercial lobsterman, I am horrified at the new quality of boaters who are willing to venture out in this stuff totally ill prepared being guided by nothing more than blind faith and a GPS screen.

PLEASE use some common sense when out in the FOG!

Here's a list of some things I witnessed not just once but many times over just one week in visibilities from 70 feet to about 400 feet.

Sailboat from MA in 100 feet of vis = No running lights, no radar reflector, no fog signals/horn, boat not a good radar target & barely showing up about every third sweep, not monitoring VHF 16 or any of the standard channels.

Sea Ray from South Portland doing 30+ knots in 150 feet of vis. Picked up at 1 mile out as a random sea clutter type of return, tracked it, and realized it was a vessel moving at a high rate of speed directly towards me. Made hard turn to stbd and Sea Ray passed seconds later within 70 feet. Did not slow down, did not respond to VHF 09, 13, 16 or 72 hails. No fog horn, no radar, no running lights no radar reflector boat showed up like sea clutter at best. If my radar screen was anywhere other than the helm he would have run us down.

Center console from the mid coast doing close to 30 knots and heading straight for a nun. This is what all the inexperienced in fog boaters do in fog. STAY AWAY FROM MARKS IN THE FOG! Set your course well proud of any widely used nav aids. All the "new bravado" guys with plotters & no radar head straight for them. "See how cool this GPS thingy is, we almost hit that can!"

I could go on and on and on from just a ten day trip. Please don't get me wrong we did meet plenty of boats using proper fog etiquette, communications, lights & signals but there seem to me more and more people who have NO CLUE how dangerous they really are.

If your one and only tool for navigation in the fog is a plotter, please STAY PUT! You don't absolutely need radar but you DO need some other items to communicate and let others know of your presence. If you can afford a boat, and to risk your life and others, in 100 foot visibility, you can certainly afford a VHF, a fog horn, running lights and a radar reflector. Are these items too much to ask for?

Things to do when in fog to be a good boater and to be courteous to others.

Radar Reflector
= BUY ONE AND USE IT!!!! Just because you choose not to have radar does not mean you should choose to be invisible or nearly invisible to the rest of the world who may be practicing good collision avoidance.

VHF = USE IT and by that I mean turn the darn thing on and monitor VHF 16. PLEASE! I don't have your cell number on speed dial...

Running Lights
= When the visibility drops USE THEM!!! They do help and can add another 50-100 feet of warning.

Fog Signals = For Christ sake Wal*Mart sells sports air horns for $6.00. Please get one and use it properly.
Rule 35 COLREGS = (i) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to give the above mentioned signals but, if she does not, shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.

Slow Down =
A single sailboat traveling at 6 knots is covering 10.1 feet per second. In 100 feet of visibility the collision time to a fixed object is roughly 11 seconds from your first physical sighting. Now take two sailboats converging, each traveling at 6 knots, your collision time in 100 feet of visibility, from your first physical sighting, becomes just 5 seconds.

A power boat traveling 30 knots, on a collision course, will collide with a sailboat doing six knots, at 100 feet of visibility, in under two seconds from the first sighting! You will NOT have enough reaction time to avoid a collision with a clown like this otehr than to have radar and been tracking him. Think people don't go fast in the fog? Think again..

Some photo examples of what these reckless boaters look like:

There really is a boat here 100 feet off my stern. No radar, no reflector, no running lights, no horn signals and not even a VHF response. "Dumb dee dumb, sailing awayyyy, dumb dee dumb, doh', a boat, how'd that get there?"

Here's a radar shot of that boat when it was actually showing up. It's the red spec just above the 18 foot spot off my stbd stern quarter. The two targets ahead and to port and stbd were two J Boats traveling together both of which had reflectors when they went by. SOME BOATS JUST DO NOT SHOW UP ON RADAR!!! The guy behind me owns one!

1st class clown (see speed above), no radar, no lights, no horn signals, no reflector and also not showing up well, and not monitoring VHF!

For reference this is 400 feet of visibility from yesterday morning (400 feet is generally fairly good vis for Maine fog):

And here's the screen shot with the cursor just over the closest radar image at 411 feet (upper left corner measures distance).:

It scares me how many people are just plain dangerous and have no clue they are being so reckless. If they succeed once they do it again only this time with a greater level of comfort and confidence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-03-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Very well said, Thanks for the info. Great photo's and screen shots.
Old 08-04-2009
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
You first radar screen comes up as missing.

Thanks for the post.
Old 08-04-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You could a just SUNK 'EM the first time, but no, you had to let him go. Now if that fellow t-bones me in the fog one day, I'm gonna come around blaming YOU for letting him go the first time.

Get your act together now. I know ammunition has gotten damned expensive with all those Democrats in power, but it is still your responsibility to terminate reckless shipping at the first opportunity. Surely, 400 yards counts as being within cannon range?
Old 08-04-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Hey Buddy! I know what I am doing. The man told me as I tried to tell him that he forgot to put the boat plug in.
Too much pride.
Believes that he knows everything about everything.
Failure to understand the weather and the Sea.
Ignorance of the Rules of the Road, Inland & ColRegs.
False courage that has been shored up with Bourbon or Rum.
Ill equiped boat that needs maintenance big time.

Maybe something will happen to him so that he can't sire anymore of his kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-04-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We tried to start our return trip home on Sunday only to get fogged in apx an hour out of port. We had apx 100 yds of visibility which is much greater than what you referred to in your post. We hung the reflector, turned on the lights and let out a blast from the horn every two minutes. Oh yea we alos made a U turn and went back to the marina and stayed an extra day until the weather front lifted. No was did we want to be out there knowing there were all kinds of boats out there with us. Additionally we would have had to cross the path of the local ferries. Think I'm going to ask Santa Claus for radar for Christmas Although that will only confirm the other nut cases near me were running wild.