SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Over-land boat transport....

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  wright1d 
#1 ·
My family and I are moving from Hilton Head Island to Seaside, Florida in the next few weeks. Selling the boat appears to be less and less likely, which leaves me two options: sailing it 800 or so miles down the east coast, through the ditch, and then up the west coast of Florida during the height of hurricane season, or... shipping it by truck. Anyone have any leads as to who to contact about getting this done? Any idea about costs? I could sail her to Jacksonville and haul and decommission there, or I can do it here.... It's a regular old Catalina 30 tall rig. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

#5 ·
I have a very bad experience with trucking a boat in general, and will never do it again if there is a water route around..

But not the truckers whom did it.."Dudley Trucking"... very professional and they were right on with quoted price and pulled in the day they said they would pull in at both ends. No deposit or nothing required..I paid the driver cash on the spot at receiving end before the boat was off loaded. My kind of way of doing business..The old fashioned way...Do what you say your going to do, for what you say your going to do it for, and be done with it.

I recommend them highly.

#11 ·
Thanks Mike..Feelings mutual

Ya... I decided I needed being around some of you guys again..:rolleyes:

#7 ·
Transport

Actually, I used U Ship and cam up with a mover out of Indiana. It was EMI Transport. They Shipped mine from Wisconsin to Florida for around $3000 and did a great job. EMI Marine Boat Transport - Hauling boats nationwide from Pensacola, FL they transport boats all over the US. If you give them enough time, they can usually find a return trip and make your haul more reasonable.
Otherwise, if you're confidant in your skills and the boat, sail it. It would be more exciting than watching the truck pull in.

Dave

#12 ·
Be careful with Uship. I got cheap prices but then the truck never showed up on time. Check the number of cancellations by the shipper. It doesn't give him a bad rating but means that somebody isn't following through. Sometimes it's the boat owner but I think some of the truckers take two or three extra jobs in case of owner cancellation and then you may be left out in the cold if you are on a schedule and they have overbooked.

#14 ·
Sailhog, What about the option of taking your boat up Broad Ceek and storing it on the hard at one of the yards like Palmetto Bay? The rate would be far less than an in the water slip and then, after hurricane season, you could take the pleasant voyage down the coast and up to your new home. Plan it as a vacation cruise instead of a task! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#15 ·
CaptainForce,
I like the way you think.... My slip fees are very reasonable, so I'll probably leave her in the water. But you are absolutely right about viewing this as a great opportunity rather than a task. I spoke with Bubb (Mike) yesterday and he gave me the low-down on what I definitely needed to take care of before heading south. I must say that contemplating this as something that I need to do has been a bit of an eye-opener.

Sounds like you've been through here! Next time give me a shout....
Thanks for the post.

#16 ·
We went though the same thought process when we bought a boat in NJ. I took two weeks of work and ended up bringing it back myself vs paying 2K to ship it. It really was a great trip.

Its a boat and its designed for this kind of stuff... Do the trip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.