SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Over-land boat transport.... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/56965-over-land-boat-transport.html)

sailhog 08-10-2009 02:34 PM

Over-land boat transport....

My family and I are moving from Hilton Head Island to Seaside, Florida in the next few weeks. Selling the boat appears to be less and less likely, which leaves me two options: sailing it 800 or so miles down the east coast, through the ditch, and then up the west coast of Florida during the height of hurricane season, or... shipping it by truck. Anyone have any leads as to who to contact about getting this done? Any idea about costs? I could sail her to Jacksonville and haul and decommission there, or I can do it here.... It's a regular old Catalina 30 tall rig. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

bubb2 08-10-2009 02:50 PM

I know this delivery guy. He is old and hard to get along with but he has lots of experience. He has dealt with all kinds of boat problems including smoking trannies. I understand for a fellow Sailnetter he is quite reasonable. Feed him and transportation costs. PM me if you are interested and I will forward his information.:)

nereussailor 08-10-2009 04:29 PM

smoking trannies? Isn't that a punk band from the 80's :)

pschoonveld 08-10-2009 04:59 PM

I'd give Global Yacht Hauling a call. Based out of Grand Rapids, MI, Ed and his son run 7 big rigs around the US. If you're flexible with your schedule, he can be quite reasonable in price. In service, he can't be beat. He hauled my boat this past winter.

His web site:
http://yachthauling.com/

Stillraining 08-10-2009 05:21 PM

I have a very bad experience with trucking a boat in general, and will never do it again if there is a water route around..

But not the truckers whom did it.."Dudley Trucking"... very professional and they were right on with quoted price and pulled in the day they said they would pull in at both ends. No deposit or nothing required..I paid the driver cash on the spot at receiving end before the boat was off loaded. My kind of way of doing business..The old fashioned way...Do what you say your going to do, for what you say your going to do it for, and be done with it.

I recommend them highly.

bubb2 08-10-2009 05:26 PM

Sorry for the hi-jack. Good to see you Rain! My Best, Mike

nereussailor 08-10-2009 05:27 PM

Transport

Actually, I used U Ship and cam up with a mover out of Indiana. It was EMI Transport. They Shipped mine from Wisconsin to Florida for around $3000 and did a great job. EMI Marine Boat Transport - Hauling boats nationwide from Pensacola, FL they transport boats all over the US. If you give them enough time, they can usually find a return trip and make your haul more reasonable.
Otherwise, if you're confidant in your skills and the boat, sail it. It would be more exciting than watching the truck pull in.

Dave

sailortjk1 08-10-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubb2 (Post 512601)
I know this delivery guy. He is old and hard to get along with but he has lots of experience. He has dealt with all kinds of boat problems including smoking trannies. I understand for a fellow Sailnetter he is quite reasonable. Feed him and transportation costs. PM me if you are interested and I will forward his information.:)

Let me know if you need some company.

sailhog 08-10-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 512660)
Let me know if you need some company.

Tim,
That could be big fun. Jacksonville is on the way....

Mike,
I just talked to my wife about this deal.... got some news that could make this more amenable for you. This could work out very well.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

bubb2 08-10-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailhog (Post 512693)
Tim,
That could be big fun. Jacksonville is on the way....

Mike,
I just talked to my wife about this deal.... got some news that could make this more amenable for you. This could work out very well.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

You, Tim and Me, How could it get any better!:)