Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Over-land boat transport....

My family and I are moving from Hilton Head Island to Seaside, Florida in the next few weeks. Selling the boat appears to be less and less likely, which leaves me two options: sailing it 800 or so miles down the east coast, through the ditch, and then up the west coast of Florida during the height of hurricane season, or... shipping it by truck. Anyone have any leads as to who to contact about getting this done? Any idea about costs? I could sail her to Jacksonville and haul and decommission there, or I can do it here.... It's a regular old Catalina 30 tall rig. Any and all advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I know this delivery guy. He is old and hard to get along with but he has lots of experience. He has dealt with all kinds of boat problems including smoking trannies. I understand for a fellow Sailnetter he is quite reasonable. Feed him and transportation costs. PM me if you are interested and I will forward his information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
smoking trannies? Isn't that a punk band from the 80's
Old 08-10-2009
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
I'd give Global Yacht Hauling a call. Based out of Grand Rapids, MI, Ed and his son run 7 big rigs around the US. If you're flexible with your schedule, he can be quite reasonable in price. In service, he can't be beat. He hauled my boat this past winter.

His web site:
http://yachthauling.com/
Old 08-10-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I have a very bad experience with trucking a boat in general, and will never do it again if there is a water route around..

But not the truckers whom did it.."Dudley Trucking"... very professional and they were right on with quoted price and pulled in the day they said they would pull in at both ends. No deposit or nothing required..I paid the driver cash on the spot at receiving end before the boat was off loaded. My kind of way of doing business..The old fashioned way...Do what you say your going to do, for what you say your going to do it for, and be done with it.

I recommend them highly.
Old 08-10-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for the hi-jack. Good to see you Rain! My Best, Mike

Never Forgotten

Old 08-10-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Transport

Actually, I used U Ship and cam up with a mover out of Indiana. It was EMI Transport. They Shipped mine from Wisconsin to Florida for around $3000 and did a great job. EMI Marine Boat Transport - Hauling boats nationwide from Pensacola, FL they transport boats all over the US. If you give them enough time, they can usually find a return trip and make your haul more reasonable.
Otherwise, if you're confidant in your skills and the boat, sail it. It would be more exciting than watching the truck pull in.

Dave
Old 08-10-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I know this delivery guy. He is old and hard to get along with but he has lots of experience. He has dealt with all kinds of boat problems including smoking trannies. I understand for a fellow Sailnetter he is quite reasonable. Feed him and transportation costs. PM me if you are interested and I will forward his information.
Let me know if you need some company.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-10-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Let me know if you need some company.
Tim,
That could be big fun. Jacksonville is on the way....

Mike,
I just talked to my wife about this deal.... got some news that could make this more amenable for you. This could work out very well.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Old 08-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Tim,
That could be big fun. Jacksonville is on the way....

Mike,
I just talked to my wife about this deal.... got some news that could make this more amenable for you. This could work out very well.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
You, Tim and Me, How could it get any better!

Never Forgotten