Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
How many people can I have on board?

We have a Beneteau 505. She's a 28,000 pounds USCG documented vessel. There is a plaque on her that says "12 12 14". Does any Beneteau owner out there know what that means?

I'm guessing it means 14 people when operated non-commercially, 12 people when operated commercially, and 12 people if discussing something Off-Topic in smallish waves within 20 miles of shore. But that's just a guess.

Also, do I have to follow this rule while at anchor? Or is this limitation only when underway?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
documented vessel

As the owner of a documented vessel of approximately the same size I've never heard of any requirements related to how many persons I can have on board. Perhaps if your boat was previously in charter service there could be some relationship there but I doubt it.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 08-11-2009

kdg_dean_austin is on a distinguished road
On my 361, there is a plaque in the cockpit that specifies the "Maximum recommended number of persons on board by design category:", which is 8, 8, 10, 12 for A, B, C, D. From the owners manual, the categories are:

A - Wave Height > 4m - Wind Force (Beaufort) > 8
B - Wave Height < 4m - Wind Force (Beaufort) <= 8
C - Wave Height < 2m - Wind Force (Beaufort) <= 6
D - Wave Height < 0.5m - Wind Force (Beaufort) <= 4

Is that what you are seeing?
RIMS, Allen Harbor, RI
Old 08-11-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
We have a Beneteau 505. She's a 28,000 pounds USCG documented vessel. There is a plaque on her that says "12 12 14". Does any Beneteau owner out there know what that means?

I'm guessing it means 14 people when operated non-commercially, 12 people when operated commercially, and 12 people if discussing something Off-Topic in smallish waves within 20 miles of shore. But that's just a guess.

Also, do I have to follow this rule while at anchor? Or is this limitation only when underway?
I think it is more dependent on how many life jackets you have. I am not aware of a person max on larger vessels. I could be wrong. The USCG is the place to go to get the absolute answer on this.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-11-2009

sailingSammy is on a distinguished road
When you say operated commercially, do you mean taking people on board who pay you to do so?
If so then the answer is probably 6 paying passengers as I imagine that this, being a production boat, is uninspected. If the vessel is inspected there will be a plaque, posted in plain sight, that list the allowable number of passengers for different circumstances.
Old 08-11-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the fast replies!

Dwayne - yes, I believe she was in the Moorings fleet at one point. I'm hoping you are right that there is no number that I need to stick to, especially at anchor. Otherwise our 11'6" dink holds about 1/2 of the number of people that our big boat is rated for.

KDG -- yes, I think that it is by wave height.

'Dad -- we have a ton of life jackets. I have never counted all of them, guess I should. Some are not USGC approved but look to be from Europe or someplace - they probably aren't legal but they look sturdy and very bouyant so it's tough to throw them out. But rather to keep them as extras. And we have the space. I've been thinking about asking for a USCG safety check, so I could ask the "12 12 14" question then maybe.

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 08-11-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
These are CE Design categories and must be visible on CE certified boats.

The design categories are:

A: OCEAN -- Designed for extended voyages where condition may exceed wind
force 8 (Beaufort scale) and wave height of 4 m (13.0 ft)

B; OFFSHORE -- Designed for offshore where conditions up to, and including,
wind force 8 and wave height up to, and including, 13.0 ft.

C: INSHORE -- Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays. estuaries,
lakes and river where condition up to, and including wind force 6 and wave
height up to 6' 6" feet.

D: SHELTERED WATER-- Designed for small lakes, river and canals up to wind
force 4 and wave height of 1'6" feet.

Thus at sea you can have 12 people aboard unless inshore, when you can have 14. All this without exceeded the gross weight limits (which are also placarded).

Old 08-11-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Dad, The question is how many people can I put on my charter boat. This gets in to, is the vessel Inspected or UNinspected. Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel or the OUVP license is what is refereed to a 6 pack license. The license limits you to only 6 passengers it also has restrictions of navigation areas such as, Inland, Near Coastal. It will also have restrictions on tonnage. 25 or 50 starting out is not unusual.

A Master's License is needed if you wish to carry more than 6 passengers. But then You Must have the vessel Inspected. The Coast Guard will or will not issue a COI. You COI (certificate of Inspection) will tell how many passengers you may carry and that can be different for day passengers and over night passengers. It will also tell where you can take passengers. Inland, bays and harbors, NO more than 20 miles from a safe port is not uncommon language to see on a COI.

Never Forgotten

Old 08-11-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Bene505, Your boat may be documented but as most boats it is probably documented as a recreational vessel. You must have the documentation changed to a Commercial vessel in order to do charters.

Safety equipment, those $5 Orange vests. You can throw them away as they are not "commercial" vests and The Coast Guard will not accept them on a commercial vessel which your will be once you start running charters.

If all of this is coming a surprise to you, you have seen nothing yet. Wait till you go shopping for Insurance.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 08-11-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Ah, I thought he was just asking how many people he could have on board. I did not know this was about chartering - I thought he was only referring to his plaque since he purchased the boat from a charter company.

My bad.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: