Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009

langianeseli is on a distinguished road
Annapolis / Baltimore Marina-Dock Choices

Might have to move my boat (5.5' draft). Was wondering if anyone had insight, opinions, ect regarding or comparing these 3 choices:

a) Holiday Point Marina, South River (Annapolis)
b) Private Dock on Mill Creek (by Cantlers, Annapolis)
c) Old Bay Marina (Baltimore)

Please advise.

Last edited by langianeseli; 08-13-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Choice b) will get you a very pretty, quiet & uncrowded spot with good access to the Bay. I am able to drag 6'2" of keel well up into Mill Ck. and keep it off the bottom.

Baltimore is a great destination, but the Patapsco R. puts a pretty good distance between you and the Bay.

The South River has good access to the Bay, but can be loud. It is a favorite of the cigarette boat crowd; and the water can be full of powerboat slop on the weekends.

Wayne
Old 08-14-2009

langianeseli is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Sir!

Mr. Wilson,

The fact that you drag 6.2' foot of keel up the creek makes me feel better. Since this is a new boat for me, I don't really trust/have a relationship with the motor yet - and the entrance to Mill Creek (according to Chart) makes me nervous. (I am not sure how much I trust myself to negotiate the entrance under sail)

I think I have eliminated Old Bay Marina, just because the drive - the Marina seems excellent and is very close to open water actually!

So it is now between South River and Mill Creek.

I appreciate your advice, Sir!

Last edited by langianeseli; 08-14-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by langianeseli View Post
...the entrance to Mill Creek (according to Chart) makes me nervous. (I am not sure how much I trust myself to negotiate the entrance under sail)
Agree! Sailing that channel around Possum Pt. will require a very favorable wind. If you can't trust your engine, the passage from Whitehall Bay to Mill Ck. will be annoying.

Best,
Wayne

Last edited by wwilson; 08-14-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
I am at Holiday Point Myself

Wayne hit the S. River environment on the head and I really can't add any more to it.

I keep S/V Tranquility Base at Holiday Point. You have 18" more draft than I, and Selby Bay is quite shallow, so make sure you check the depth at Mean Lower Low Water VERY carefully before deciding. On my first trip out I grounded on some muck last year 20 feet off the end of my dock with no warning at low tide. My depth sounder went from 6' to 3.5' in two seconds (a hillock from dredging?). Perhaps you should try the approach and tie up before committing.

As to Holiday Point itself, I like it a lot. Their prices are competitive. They are a full service marina, although I have not had them do much to my boat. I have found the folks there to be pleasant to deal with, though.

If you are a DIYer, then you will especially like the DIY-oriented boat yard on the other side of the peninsula, the Casa Rio Marina an Boat Yard over on Cadle Creek. I did a fair amount of work there last winter. Be aware that the lift area is even more shallow, though. They would probably have to use the travellift on your boat at high tide.

DaCAP
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 08-18-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
We are at White Rocks Marina on Rock Creek in the Patapsco. It is a nice facility, reasonably priced, 12-15 feet of water all the way in, very easy to get in and out. It is about 8 miles downstream from Balto, so it's very close to the bay. We are usually sailing 10 minutes after leaving the slip.