Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009
The Brinlae Rose Lives

stevegmusic is on a distinguished road
Roses most certainly do have thorns. I think its a classy name for a classy boat. Last night I made myself a boom vang. Funny you should mention the CB issue, I was having just that problem. The thing is ugly, but it works. My jib sheets are on the inside of the shrouds, and I'm not using the tracks at this point. I ran them through chrome guides along the rail to a static block about a foot in front of the old track. This seemed to be the most common way to do it for a cruising Bucc (riiiiiight...) judging from the research I did. It also presented as the least expensive option, as the rigs for the tracks were missing entirely. I actually have her completely rigged in my backyard right now. I need the practice stepping the mast and getting set up, so I do it ALONE in my driveway every couple days. That mast is not fun to set up by my onesies, but what can I do when no one comes over to help? Actually, once the damnable thing is vertical, its not too bad. I saw a rig where someone cut the mast off at the bottom had hinged it. Making it possible to step the mast in like, 10 seconds or something. I may have that done later.

Blessings
Steven

Last edited by stevegmusic; 08-21-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Most Buccs these days have the mast on a hinged tabernacle as in the photos below. It's a medium-complex job -- Harry Sindle may still have kits -- but it makes stepping the heavy mast MUCH easier than wrestling it over the centerboard. I use the spi halyard clipped to the bow eye to hold the mast upright while I run forward and attach the jib/forestay. Then I leave it in place, lightly taut, as backup in case the forestay breaks. Spi halyard attaches to the port side of the CB box; pole topping lift to starboard. There is no foreguy or pole downhaul -- that's what the spinnaker twing does.

Magic box tensions the jib halyard; older Buccs used a Hyfield lever under the deck, in the cuddy. Either one is fine. I just birdcaged my wire halyard for the last bloody time today -- Spectra cordage, here we come.

ETA: Here's a source for parts; scroll down & you'll find Harry's contact info.

Last edited by bobmcgov; 08-21-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2009
The Brinlae Rose Lives

new host of issues

Well, stepping the mast is the least of my worries at this point. We took her out for the first time this morning, and came up with a whole laundry list of issues. First, does anything hold down the rudder and centerboard? They both were just floating up to the up position, also we were taking on water something wicked through the scuppers. To top it all off, there was absolutely no wind at all.

We'll try again sometime, later on in the day would most likely be better for havi9ng some kind of breeze to push us along.
Old 08-23-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Centerboard holddown: some use bungees, I find it stays down by itself above a beam reach, you want it up downwind. Bigger problem for us is the CB rattling down when running DDW. Hence the red T-handle in the pics; it loops over a hook on the bulkhead.

Rudder holddown: typically rigged with a looped cord, one side pulls blade up, one pulls & holds it down. One or two cleats on the tiller to keep it there. Alternatively, tighten the axle bolt. Don't sail w/ the rudder the least bit up; it will steer like a truck and possibly tear the transom off.

Bailers. Oh yeah. Recall the warning about leaky bailers in my first post? Those are they. May just need wiping and lots of Vaseline on the bottom plastic bits. Some people manage to replace the O rings. Make sure the tubes are clear of seaweed, rocks or other debris; pull the black collars all the way up, hard; then finish with a 1/4 twist clockwise. They'll probably still leak, but they should leak slower.

Glad you got out! And remember, if you can sail 1 hour for every 3 hours of boat work, you are doing fine. (True for all boats.)
Old 01-19-2010
The Brinlae Rose Lives

So the wind is starting in in Texas, and the weather is getting warmer. I'll be on the water soon. Should be a good time.
Old 05-03-2010

elusive43 is on a distinguished road
Interested in racing your Buccaneer18? Denver Sailing Association is hosting their annual Hornblower Regatta May 15-16 at Cherry Creek Lake in Denver. Please contact me David Spira 3034788377 dspira(at)kewrealty.com or Jim Daus godausgo(at)yahoo.com if you are interested or if you want more information about Buccaneer sailing in the Rocky Mountain Region.

Buccaneer18.org groups.yahoo.com/group/Bucc18_fleet30
Old 05-03-2010

correction

the rocky mountain buccaneer forum is:

groups.yahoo.com/group/Bucc18_fleet_30
Old 05-03-2010
The Brinlae Rose Lives

Still cleaning out muck from the boat, I don't think I'll be racing any time soon
thanks though
Old 05-04-2010

Glad you are enjoying your Bucc!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.