Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2002

tuco is on a distinguished road
What about a Morgan OI?

In our endles search for the right boat, we keep encountering different brands. An old selection of cruising magazines helped us get a start in what brands and models to look at, but there are certainly more brands and models that would make good live aboard/ coastal cruisers.
Can anyone give us their opinions on a 33 Morgan OI 1978, it will mostly serve as a live aboard and costal cruiser in the gulf coast,the most blue water it would see is going out to the Bahamas...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2002

Valdare is on a distinguished road
What about a Morgan OI?

tuco,

Sailnet has a Morgan list. Search the archives and post to the list. Many an OI sailor hangs out there.
Was a OI 33 posted this morning for sail on the site.
Good Luck
John
_/) _/) _/)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-02-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
What about a Morgan OI?

As in so many things, there is no one right answer here. Much of the answer on a boat like this depends on your own goals and tastes in boats. If you goal is to find the maximum room in a given length and price, and you really don''t care about sailing ability, motion comfort, build quality or performance, then a 1970''s era Morgan Out Island 33 may work for you.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2002

tuco is on a distinguished road
What about a Morgan OI?

You''re right Jeff, there is no right answer. The reason we were looking at the Morgan Out Island is because we saw one for sale, and hadn''t heard about it before. We do want good livaboard space, but we love to sail and do care about performance and quality of the vessel. Thanks for the input. Some others we have read about are Ericsons, C&C''s, Tartans, and others I can''t remember right now.

We haven''t had too much sailing experience yet. Boats we have had were a 19'' O''day, a 22'' Catalina, and a 25'' Catalina, all from the 1970''s. The 25'' Catalina was the best one because of size and manuverability, but we only sailed it on a lake that had sporatic wind at best.

Now we want to get out to the coast (East), take sailing/navigation lessons to learn to sail there, and liveaboard. We now have three young children we''re responsible for, and want a boat that will do a good job.(liveaboard space, handling, seaworthiness, etc.) We''re realizing that the job of finding a boat is tiring, and there is an overwhelming amount of choices.

Thanks again for the responce.
Old 12-10-2002

robw_fl is on a distinguished road
What about a Morgan OI?

Morgans have such an interesting history...and opinions on them are all over the place. I own a 1969 Morgan 33 myself (not an Out Island, though) and I will attest to its strong build and seaworthiness.

From the sounds of it, an Out Island 33 may do you well. They definitely have some "boat for the buck" value, the earlier ones are built sturdy, and are considered safe, and seaworthy (as in they won''t fall apart on you, provided they are fairly well maintained!). A shoal draft will be your friend when cruising in the areas you specified. I draw 5'' and live/sail in the Sarasota / tampa area. I would say 5 is tolerable, but pushing it around here.

The downside - the OI series are nototiously NOT the greatest "sail" boats. In that they aren''t designed for performance. If you''ve got a good, reliable engine, don''t mind using it on occasion, and aren''t looking to win any friday night regattas, then you would probably be able to look past this.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2002

What about a Morgan OI?

Morgans have such an interesting history...and opinions on them are all over the place. I own a 1969 Morgan 33 myself (not an Out Island, though) and I will attest to its strong build and seaworthiness.

From the sounds of it, an Out Island 33 may do you well. They definitely have some "boat for the buck" value, the earlier ones are built sturdy, and are considered safe, and seaworthy (as in they won''t fall apart on you, provided they are fairly well maintained!). A shoal draft will be your friend when cruising in the areas you specified. I draw 5'' and live/sail in the Sarasota / tampa area. I would say 5 is tolerable, but pushing it around here.

The downside - the OI series are nototiously NOT the greatest "sail" boats. In that they aren''t designed for performance. If you''ve got a good, reliable engine, don''t mind using it on occasion, and aren''t looking to win any friday night regattas, then you would probably be able to look past this.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2002

What about a Morgan OI?

Sorry about the double post - but one other though...maybe look at a 41'' OI...three kids? Hmmm...just a thought!
Old 01-03-2003

Morgan41Orion is on a distinguished road
What about a Morgan OI?

For someone with little or no sailing experience, I can think of very few other boats comparable to the OI41. Very forgiving, with the shoal draft, PLENTY of room inside, and built to take it.True, not the best performing boat, but a clean, well maintained one is the best bet for your money. When you learn the basics, you can join Jeff and others in the speed and performance dept.,and you and the bank can own a newer performance cruiser.
Old 01-03-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
What about a Morgan OI?

For someone with " little or no sailing experience", I can think of no worse choice than an OI41 if that person actually wants to learn to sail. If a person wants to learn to sail, then they should start with something smaller and more responsive where they can actually feel what is going on without hurting themselves. Then again, if they really don''t care about learning to sail, they should just buy a power boat rather than experience the frustration of trying to learn to sail on a boat with the poor (for learning purposes) sailing characteristics of an OI41 before leaving the sport in disgust.

Jeff

Old 01-07-2003

Valdare is on a distinguished road
What about a Morgan OI?

Jeff

I have to agree with you for a number of reasons. From what I''ve heard about the OI41 they are not a great sailing boat. I own a Morgan 384 and am very happy with it for cruising as well as it''s sailing. However had I bought this boat before my S2 7.9 I would never know how well the 384 really sails.
I had a Newport 28 before the S2. We learned allot but nothing compared to learning to sail the performance 7.9. My first years were very frustrating. With the S2 when you did something correct you could feel the acceleration, when you did something wrong it was like throwing the anchor out. I raced one design a little and was always the pickle boat or close to it. Didn''t think I had learned much until I raced in a couple of club races. Actual was competitive and won a few. A smaller boat, or a performance boat will teach you much faster than a boat such as the OI. I know if it had not been for my S2 I would not be able to sail my Morgan to its best advantage, even though I am still learning it''s characteristics.

Your second point is probably the best Safety. I could man handle my 6000 LB S2. I can not man handle my 18,000 LB. Morgan. Everything on the Morgan happen maybe a little slower than the S2 but with much greater force. I always compared my S2 to a sports car, fast but couldn''t do much damage if I did something wrong. My Morgan is a tank, comparatively speaking.....but does sail well.

Regards,

John _/) _/) _/)