Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsboat View Post
...Another boat that was stuck near Belleville,On. didn't sink till two days after.It was full of pinholes.
That's my lightning stories for now.

Phil
I guess the battery kept the bilge pump going for 2 days before it died.

I makes you want to get a bilge alarm that calls your cell phone or something. Our bilge pump switch is hooked to a buzzer that let you KNOW it's on. That only works when you are on board.

Regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
capn dave,

Friday was quite a show. I could see from Orange Park all the lightning south. 2 weeks ago I didn't take a direct hit, but it got my SSB, and autopilot. Ruby lost nearly everything electric. This summer has been alive with lightning!.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 08-17-2009
Life Is Good

melodycs30 is on a distinguished road
A fellow sailor told me that during a lightning storm to make sure your engine is on and your prop is turning at a very fast RPMs to expel the static electricity from the boat. Any truth to this?
Old 08-17-2009
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Yep it works

and is just as good as the kat. SO you ought to double your protection. Woops!!! STOP don't do that. The KAt and the prop will repel each other and cause lightning.

Fair Winds

Dave
Old 08-17-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_dave View Post
and is just as good as the kat. SO you ought to double your protection. Woops!!! STOP don't do that. The KAt and the prop will repel each other and cause lightning.

Fair Winds

Dave
come to think of it--the engine WAS on and we were motoring and i did have the kat on top of me--.....LOL....magic!!!!!! LOL>.....makes as much sense as lightning strikes having rhyme or reason.........LOL...i hope everyone stays safe and the lightning hits no one---smooth sailing~~~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~!!!!!!!

Last edited by zeehag; 08-17-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: boatkat is a potential anti zap kat hat ...LOL
Old 08-18-2009

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna
Steel boats will act like a faraday cage, but an antenna will bring the current down into the inside.
In fact, any conductive connection from the outside to the inside will bring the lightning inside. For a faraday cage to be fully effective the items inside must be electrically isolated from the cage shell. This is rarely going to be the case with a steel-hulled boat.
Old 08-18-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
In fact, any conductive connection from the outside to the inside will bring the lightning inside. For a faraday cage to be fully effective the items inside must be electrically isolated from the cage shell. This is rarely going to be the case with a steel-hulled boat.
IIRC, Faraday had movies where people could touch the inside of a highly charged cage and not get shocked.

It's the same reason you don't get shocked inside a car -- has nothing to do with the rubber ires insulating.

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .