Anyone ever read about Donald Crowhurst, bid to sail around the world? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Anyone ever read about Donald Crowhurst, bid to sail around the world?

Was on TV last night as sort of a documentary (PBS, can't remember the station?)

Riveting story:
Donald Crowhurst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His "righting" system for trimaran is interesting (see the article above):
Quote:
To improve the safety of the boat, Crowhurst had planned to add an inflatable buoyancy bag on the top of the mast to prevent capsizing; the bag would be activated by water sensors on the hull designed to detect an impending capsize. This innovation would hold the boat horizontal, and a clever arrangement of pumps would allow him to flood the uppermost outer hull, which would (in conjunction with wave action) pull the boat upright. His scheme was to prove these devices by sailing round the world with them, then go into business manufacturing the system.
Old 08-19-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
He is the one who got the OSTAR started. I have never seen the documentry, but the book is a fascinating read. Some just weren't meant to be alone in failure......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
I think you may be talking about the documentary movie DEEP WATER, which I've seen. The movie led me to read about the events, as I couldn't believe the stupidity involved in this fiasco.

The story left me disliking Crowhurst, as he was a cheat, a thief and a fraud. His totally unprepared attempt to compete in the circumnavigation put the lives of others in peril and may have contributed to the suicide of one of his competitors in the race.

Paul
Old 08-19-2009

& we all know Bernard really won that race. Robin Knox was gifted the win.....i2f

Old 08-19-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Crowhurst sailed Teignmouth Electron a Piver designed Tri.
He was probably mentally ill already before setting off, so it is a bit hard to judge him like that.
On the Moitessier comment. Yes, there was a good chance that he would have won BUT he chose to stop racing and sail to Tahiti, so Robin Knox-Johnston did win, and should be credited for that IMHO.
Old 08-19-2009

He did get credit for it. I just stated it was gifted to him by Bernard. I do not think that fact can be denied. He went onto sail for the sake of sailing, and covered more sea miles than Robin Knox non stop......i2f

Old 08-19-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
I2F, then we agree. Bernard was an amazing sailor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
He did get credit for it. I just stated it was gifted to him by Bernard. I do not think that fact can be denied. He went onto sail for the sake of sailing, and covered more sea miles than Robin Knox non stop......i2f
Old 08-19-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
I couldn't believe the stupidity involved in this fiasco.

The story left me disliking Crowhurst, as he was a cheat, a thief and a fraud. His totally unprepared attempt to compete in the circumnavigation put the lives of others in peril and may have contributed to the suicide of one of his competitors in the race.

Paul
It is a rather strange episode and the boat's fate ended strangely as well.
Here's a couple of pics and some other tidbits of info on the 35 yo rotting hulk on Cayman Brac...

Bracís land wreck makes it to TV fame
Old 08-19-2009
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
The book I believe is The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst. I read it years ago. It's a fascinating study of a man getting in over his head, unable to abandon the race before it even starts, and then slowing going mad. At first he fakes his reports, sailing in circles in the Atlantic, but then his log entries become progressively more delusional rather than simply deceptive as he moves toward some state of godliness. The authors thought he jumped overboard clutching some nav devices, maybe a sextant and/or chronometer. Others might remember better. I seem to recall that Chichester thought something didn't smell right. One of the best sea stories ever written.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Old 08-19-2009

Viking,

We never disagreed. IMHO Bernard was a far greater writer than sailor. His passion for the sea was like a love novel in the way he expressed his feelings about his surroundings.

He did learn to become quite the sailor, but in the beginning he did have his misfortunes. Just as the misfortune of Joshua lost in Cabo in a late hurricane......i2f

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.