Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
What a ride!! We rode through 56kt+ winds yesterday!

Well, we made it safely from Norfolk to NYC, arriving at around 6:30am this morning. It was fairly uneventful, unless you count:

1) A Coast Guard safety inspection as we left Norfolk Inlet (passed with flying colors)
2) A second coastie trying to board us 30 minutes later, also for a safety inspection
3) Our engine oil pressure dropping to zero as we were head to wind in 22kts and 6ft seas putting a second reef in
4) And for the finale, we got nailed by those huge storms that ripped through PA/NJ/NY yesterday. We clocked 48.6kts, but our knotmeter is broken and we were doing 8.8kts at the time, so add that in for 57.4kts. Of course it only shows maximum sustained wind, not peak gusts where we saw over 55kts, reflecting well over 60kts of wind. By the way - The 8.8kts was done with only a double reefed main up, wind at the quarter, running hard. Pelican handled incredibly well with nothing breaking and a few whoops from the helmsman (me), if that tells you how amazing it truly was. By the way, here are a couple of links about the storm where 80mph+ winds were recorded: A Brief but Intense Thunderstorm - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com and Storm fells hundreds of trees in NY's Central Park | APP.com | Asbury Park Press.

We'll have stuff up on our blog in the next couple of days.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Labatt, glad to hear you made it through. I had my hands full in about 25-30 knots a couple of weeks ago. I had to turn tail and run back to the lee of the island. Do you have any pictures, or were you too busy slicin' and dicin'?

Nice job, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 08-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
HOLY CRAP LABATT!!! I'll be watching your blog. I smell a SERIOUS BFS!

Can I steal it from your blog and put it here in the BFS Hall of Fame?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-20-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
It's funny how a big blow like that can be handled by a well found boat isn't it? After that, sailing in a Gale is no longer the big deal that it was. Sounds like a fun trip.
Old 08-20-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
LOL... ya its amazing how one year changes opinions around here isnt it...

Good on ya Labat, sounds like a lot of fun.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-20-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
It was incredible. The biggest help was being prepped for it - having some sail up, but reefed well in advance, talking through what we would do in various scenarios, giving each person areas of responsibility (port side, starboard side, helm), and communications during the storm (calling out wind speeds, point of sail, helm response, etc.). The significant wind (45+) only lasted about 20 minutes, but it still blew over 35 for another 30 minutes and then it was over 25 for the next hour or so. We should hopefully have a blog entry up today, and feel free to repost it
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 08-20-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Wow! I watched that micro-burst pass over the NYC region from a house on LI and the lightning show was incredible as were the short lived intense winds that I could only estimate at between 40 - 60 mph as I watched the tree limbs sway in the gusts. It was a dangerous night on land so I can only guess what a time you had out on the water. At least on board your boat Pelican you were not likely to be hit by falling tree limbs and debris.
You must have been off the coast of New Jersey when that system blew through. Guess I will wait for the blog entry to get posted.
Are you staying at Liberty Landing again and for how long?

Everybody has one:

Old 08-20-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
What a way to end your trip. Congradulations on opening up your world to life long memeories.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 08-20-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Although the storm must have been a shorts changer, I would like to congratulate you on passing the Coast Guard checks. It's shows your responsibility as a safe and responsible boater. Something we don't hear about that often. I was surprised at two boardings in such a short time period. I see the CG on the bay regularly but seldom hear of boardings especially two within an hour.

P.S. I wish I had known you where in Norfolk, I would have come down and bought you a drink.
Old 08-20-2009

sailingSammy is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine e-mailed me last monday, he was in the Azores and leaving for Bermuda on wednesday, on his way to Annapolis. I e-mailed him yesterday to see if he had left and haven't gotten a reply yet so he may be under way. He's sailing a Lagoon 40, hope his luck holds out.
In 2006 he had 3 major storms chasing him around the Atlantic on the same trip so he is used to it, but last place I would want to be in those conditions is on a cat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.