Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009

mtlcharlie is on a distinguished road
Hinckley 42

I am looking forward to buying a sailboat, my first. I have little experience but have much researched, including Sailnet (thank you). The general reputation is that Hinckley is the best. If I can get my sailing kitty to accept the extra cost, would it be worth it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2009

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlcharlie View Post
I am looking forward to buying a sailboat, my first. I have little experience but have much researched, including Sailnet (thank you). The general reputation is that Hinckley is the best. If I can get my sailing kitty to accept the extra cost, would it be worth it?
If money is no object to you, yes, Hinckleys are fine boats and could be expected to hold their value well, as long as you have them professionally maintained.

The question is, is it the right boat for you and the sailing you will do? If it isn't, you'll sell it, immediately losing 10% for the broker's commission, plus the sales tax paid when you bought the boat, and the cost of the professional upkeep one needs to keep from losing too much value.

If you're looking at a $300,000 boat, that means the ownership experiment will cost you $50,000 minimum.

It might be more economical in the long run to start sailing on something much more modest (it'll be more fun, too), make you're mistakes on a small boat that costs less to repair, and figure out exactly what you like and don't like on a boat. A Hinckley may be the answer at that point, or something else might be better for you.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 08-22-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Tim. If you are new to sailing, the Hinckley probably isn't the best choice for learning. You should expect a few hard knocks along the way. Hinckley's are premium boats and it would be a shame -- not to mention bad for it's value -- to inflict the sort of abuse on one that a beginner inevitably doles out.

Where will you be sailing and what are your plans for how you'll use the boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-22-2009
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Lots of varnishing, small and crampted inside for 42 foot boat. Not paricularly fast.
Old 08-22-2009

Tx Gramp 34, JohnRPollard and speciald for your info. My concern about a starter level is that if indeed I do sail at the serious level, I will have a material transition cost. But you do remind me that such may be a wise investment should I not actually become a serious sailor. I would like to keep ocean crossing as an option. I have RVd full time for 3 years, traveled many times all across North America and seem to have the wanderlust. My other inclinations are the Cabo Rico 38 or Caliber 40, the latter for the reduced maintenance. These two seem sound, but half the Hinckley cost, which is why I wonder how Hinckley can really be worth the extra money.
Old 08-22-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlcharlie View Post
The general reputation is that Hinckley is the best.
Will you elaborate on that conclusion please? Best at what?
Old 08-22-2009

petmac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
Will you elaborate on that conclusion please? Best at what?
I'd say he mean't one of the best from reputation,construction quality and design. Certainly not the fastest or the most roomy. Hold their value well and are a pleasure to sail.
Photobucket
Old 08-22-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Clearly, Hinckley is among the legends of boating - but not a "starter boat" Don't get me wrong, I love Hinckleys - back in the early '60's I sailed aboard Lola, my dad's Hinckley B40, we ventured far and wide and stumbled deep into the abyss on more than one occassion. But for a beginner - start small, start now!! If you want a boat you can't screw up too badly while learning everything the hard way, get an old Columbia, Cape Dory, Bristol, Alberg or the like in the 30-35 foot range they are sturdy boats and already have docking scars, knicks in the bow from running into the dock and they don't mind when you run aground from time to time. If you plan to venture into the blue, they will take you as safely and much more cheaply than the venerable Hinckley - plus you may come to grips with the fact that there a lot of great sailboats out there that you can fall in love with that cost a heck of a lot less.
Then, when you get good, buy a Hinckley as the boat you keep the rest of your sailing years.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 08-22-2009

wwilson I cannot add to petmac. For what is called a bluewater boat, design, solid construction, Hinckley is well spoken of. johnshasteen seems to endorse the reputation. But are Cabo Rico, Caliber and Shannon at half the price only half the boat?
Old 08-22-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
If you can swing a Hickley 42 on a first boat, I would go for it. It's certainly fast enough, solid enough and I am sure you can compare it to all those other condo's below to understand the value you may be getting. I'll bet even Hickley's can be bought reasonably now in this economy. I bought my boat in 1984 and still really like it alot. (not a Hickley, but an S&S 37 whose quality has stood the times).

Moe

Enjoy yourself.

Moe