Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009

Idolfan is on a distinguished road
High Center Board Woes

Does anyone have advice on how to climb onto a high centerboard. I have a Fusion 15 dingy. Had to be "rescued" the other day as I was unable to climb on the high centerboard. It capsized during a sudden gust and it did a 180 on my first right attempt, leaving me in the water. It rides almost three feet out of the water. Very frustrating. Any thoughts other than hit the gym?
dandlsteele@sympatico.ca
Darrell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2009

philsboat is on a distinguished road
Release the mainsheet.Pull down on the end of the board and wait till sail and mast come out of the water.When it starts to right, two hands on the gunnel and one foot on the center board and swing into the boat as it come level.
That's the way I did it 20 years ago.Now I would call for hellllp!

Phil
Old 08-23-2009

bheintz is on a distinguished road
According to Chuck Allen, Fusion 15, A Fast Dinghy for All Ages this is supposed to be the fun part.
Quote:
Part of having fun means not being afraid to capsize. While the Fusion 15 has good stability, I was in charge of the "flip test" and can report the boat is easy to right and reenter through the open transom, and the water drains quickly out the stern.
It sounds like once you have capsized, it is difficult to reach centerboard from the water. All I can suggest is that as you capsize you walk over on to the centerboard. Or, if you are not alone, perhaps your crew can lift up the top of the mast enough for you to reach the centerboard.

Always try to right the a capsize with the bow pointed into the wind, or from standing on the windward side.
Old 08-23-2009

Idolfan is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys! Yes the problem is getting on the board if the first attempt is a failure or if I get low sided and end up swimming. It is very bouyant and the centerboard is at my finger tips. I tried six times to get up. All I got was a bruised ego and biceps. I am thinking of carrying a small rope ladder to sling around the board and then remove it once I am up. Otherwise it would be concerning to sale alone which is usually the case.
Darrell

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.