Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009

inthesprings is on a distinguished road
Well, the water level still seemed normal. I followed the discharge line to the thru hull and it seems to be a vented loop. The line runs aft through the bilge and under the cockpit where it runs up in a loop and back down to the thru hull. there is something spliced in (presumably an anti siphon vent) at the top of the loop. I didnt crawl all the way in there to take a close look, I just took a shower. I guess Ill go back and take a better look.

I did have my wife fire up the motor and put her in gear at idle to see if water was spewing from the shaft seal. It was not, but did seem to drip more than I remember it. Maybe a drip every two or three seconds?

Two cockpit drains that run aft to two thru hulls above the waterline. Just changed those hoses earlier this summer.

Checked the FW holding tank and its fine.

I dunno. Let me ask this... when I run the bilge pump until it sucks air and shut it off, some water rushes back it. I guess thats what didnt make it over the loop. Is that normal or a symptom? Otherwise Im kinda stumped.

I will get a float switch tommorow. I went to buy a float switch a few weeks ago but didn't have the model # handy. Apparently that matters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2009

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
sure you can clean a vented loop,no problem,but the problem is getting your boat raised off the bottem so you can get to it.you won't know its fouled until its too late
Old 08-25-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Rule #1?

Two cockpit drains that run aft to two thru hulls above the waterline. Just changed those hoses earlier this summer.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 08-25-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
While pounding in nasty summer chop on S.F. Bay Frolic would take on water. I turned around, and went down wind, and no water. Turned around again to beat, and more water. Fortunately the bilge pump could keep up. Turned downwind, and sailed home.
Pulled Frolic out of the water, and the front keel bolt had broken. I can only assume pounding to windward would open it up, but smooth sailing downwind it would stay closed? Just some food for thought........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2009

Forgive me, but what rule#1?

Got a float switch. So the way Im set up now, I have to turn the power on (1,2 or all) in order to turn on the bilge. It has a dedicated switch on the panel. If I just throw the float switch in line, that means Ill have to leave the power on in order for it to work. I don't have shore power, so I dont really like the idea of doing that. Do I rewire the bilge pump directly to the battery, and if so, which one? Or do I just leave the power on?

Thanks for the help folks.

-Shawn
Old 08-25-2009

fordo is on a distinguished road
Wire the bilge pump through the float valve directly (with a proper amp fuse) to the battery you use as the "house" battery. It will still work if all the power is switched off. You can still start the engine on the other battery. If you find the house battery is low after you've been away from the boat it is probably because you have a slow leak or rain is getting in.
Old 08-25-2009

Roger that.

Took a sail this evening. Still normal level of water in the bilge. Took a closer look at the keel bolts and seem ok, but now Im slightly freaked out about that having a late 80's vintage 31' Oday and the keels apparently ripping out, so I guess Ill put a torque wrench on the ones I can get to when it gets hauled this fall and see whats up.

I also tasted the bilge water as suggested (really??!!) and it was definately seawater. Still thinking it came through the bilge discharge line perhaps. I did notice that while under sail this evening (10 knot wind, head sail only, close hauled) the bilge discharge thru hull is below the water line. Just barely. Usually sits 6-8" above the water line at the dock.

Still wondering what the heck happend...
Old 08-25-2009

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
On an older Yanmar, since replaced, we had a pencil zinc corrode through the water muffler and took on a lot of water. have you checked this?
Old 08-26-2009

Another thing to check out. Thank you.
Old 08-26-2009

KismetP362 is on a distinguished road
Here is one more thing you can do. I installed a 12VDC counter in line with the bildge pump/float switch. This way, when I come back to the boat after a week away, i can see the exact amount of times it came on. I reset it when I leave for a long period and I write down my findings in the Log whenever it's abnormal. So far so good. It cost me about $14.00 at H.R. DISTRIBUTORS, Inc..

Also, the time you pumped the boat out, it could have been fresh water.... keep your eye on the mast if you have a keel stepped mast and an eye on all the port holes..