Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I will say this again as someone who let there daughter leave home at 14 to join the ballet for 3 years

I had big grief with the host families the first and third years the best year was the second at 15 were she and another 18 year old in the company shared and apartment.

So its now she did this with 5 girls who are lifetime friends all went back and got 4 year degrees and my daughter and most of the others are getting masters degrees

The fact that she TOOK this path has turned from the scorn we had in the past to something that makes all the girls stand out and opens a lot of doors.

We might have all been arrested if it was now

This stuff is done all the time to produce are Olympic team and the girls finish the deal pretty banged up with a gold or nothing but a life time of physical pain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
But you see, you ARE their PARENT and therefore that is your judgment and choice. Both of Laura's parents, who are very experienced sailors and know her better than any government body, have decided that she can indeed make this trip.
No, I get that PCP. But even though I am my kids' parent and can raise them pretty much any way I want, I'm still beholden to that law that protects them as minors. That's my point.

It's not JUST about my judgement as a parent. It's about the law. If I'm making decisions that put them in real danger, someone needs to step in (okay - that's a whole other thread, but let's stay focused here).

Don't get me wrong, I don't really give much of a damn about government personally. And the less I have to deal with it the better. BUT, I also appreciate that laws are necessary things. Porc rightly pointed that out.

If parents are making good decisions regarding the welfare of their children, the law isn't needed. But that's not always the case. And that's why it's there.

And I think that's why the government stepped in in this case. It seems to me they have to...by law.

So again...what is the answer Dirt's question?

PS - Tom, the big difference I see personally is that your daughter was not alone - nor are the young gymnasts. They have adult supervision to whatever level. That's not solo - and it's not, I don't think, as life-or-death as a circ.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-16-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericread View Post
Even I won't disagree with you on that point!

Eric

If need I can drop in a video of Darrian Albert, an honor student being beat to death walking home from his Chicago High School.

You guys want to see how dangerous this country is for teenagers? Check out MyDeathSpace.com and click on the top left on current articles.

By far the most common killer of kids are car accidents, then drugs. After that it's probably suicide.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 10-16-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lporcano View Post
Yes, that is true. I think most of the folks commenting on this really have no idea what the planned voyage is, and are making comments based on false assumptions.

As far as the rest of the post, she is 14 not 7. Sailing alone at 14 is not child abuse, that is just ridiculous.

I tired to find info on her route and failed, can you help us out?
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 10-16-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
So her parents will be at each stop? I guess that helps. But it doesn't address the other issues.

14 may not be 7, but it's not 18 either. Again, if the law deems 14 to be a minor, agree with or not, your call on the government to protect that child stands. That's all I'm saying. The planned voyage has no bearing on that whatsoever.

I just looked at her website (link on page 1). Her proposed route is taking her through the canals, not around the horns. However, my Dutch is a bit rusty, so I didn't see where her parent(s) are going to be at the various ports. Maybe it's there. I don't know.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-16-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2009
Last Man Standing

At the end of the day, the point of view I take most seriously in all this is the OP's, PeirreMundo. The dude is, after all, Dutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreMundo View Post
Hi smackdaddy,

Thanks for asking. Raised in the Netherlands, traveled around the world in North-, Central- and South America, Europe, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, China, Australia and big parts of Africa and living in the Dutch Antilles for almost 15 years were we got our kids 6 and 8 years old Iím still Dutch but at a distant. I followed Zac from the beginning and like to see many more youngsters doing things we perhaps also liked when we were young. When I heart of Laura I also followed this story. Because it got so much media attention already in the Netherlands Authorities had to do something. We have laws for school going kids, and as I read the posts here, there are laws and rules in the USA as well. Perhaps even more. But different countries with different rules with same intentions. Even New Zeeland probably wonít let her go.
Holland is a very small country and we are not used to home-schooling. I heart of home-schooling on Dutch cruisers around the world, but than with parents on board. My opinion on this is that a girl with so many tasks to do, she has no time for doing home-schooling. Internet at sea? And then the physical part. Is she strong enough? And can she do the many technical parts. She has been held in England. How will other countries (Authorities) react and will she not been abused by rough harbour people, Fishermen at sea etc. with the wrong intentions.

Nature can be harsh and people violent especially for a lonely 13 year old girl without supervision. The world isnít (always) nice.

If it was my girl I say NO. Not for the honour to be the first and youngest. If she likes the sailing and adventure, then why not with her father?

I like to see her go. But she has to follow the rules and mostly I like to see her safe!

Old 10-16-2009
Last Man Standing

Okay - so I looked at the plan. She'll be completely on her own for a great deal of this passage - thousands of miles. So I think the "neglect" problem stands.

Furthermore, she has Option 1, which takes her through the Gulf of Aden and gives her two family visits over 8-10K miles of sailing. And this is a pretty dangerous route as we all know.

Or Option 2 around the Cape, with one family visit over 10-12K miles of sailing. And this is also a pretty dangerous route as we all know.

So, now that I'm more informed Porc, I still don't see your point.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-16-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2009
Last Man Standing

I do totally agree with you that it is, without question, a huge accomplishment for ANYONE to solo circ. That's some hairy stuff.

I also completely agree with your earlier statement that governments need to protect minor children when parents don't.

So, see, we're not too far apart.

Old 10-16-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I hope you guys never go to a family farm as on my cousins side they had 800 acres in lower Delaware and you would have had a stroke when we use to help out at the sawmill

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-16-2009
Last Man Standing

Heh-heh. Do you guys still have all your appendages?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.