Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Look what I found in just a few minutes, a 10 YO girl, college grad and practicing vet:

Courtney Oliver: 10-Year-Old College Graduate and Vet--Backseat Cuddler

11 YO boy just graduated college; astrophysics:

11-Year-Old Graduates College With Degree in Astrophysics - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

There are more, many more.

I better stop this, starting to realize just how "slow" I am! LOL

DB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lporcano View Post
I can not see how navigating the legal system in any way relates to sailing skills. Adults generally rely on attorneys for such things, and then your success is largely dependent on the quality of attorney you can buy.35 KNOTS
Right, see, you just created a strategy to reach a favorable conclusion without any help from anyone. That's what adults do. You would leverage whatever you had to do whatever you needed to do to move towards whatever it is that you want. That's what makes good sailors. If the girl is so capable, she shouldn't need your help, mine, or anybody else's to see her way clear of these problems. You could were you in her situation.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
That is really a bit of a stretch. Success is dependent on other folks, how much money you have, and the whims of a judge, not your own skills or preparation. It is about as different from sailing as you can get. Slocum would likely have failed miserably at dealing with the legal system.

Len Porcano
35 KNOTS
You're missing my point, but since you seem to be intentionally missing it, I'm just going to stop trying to make it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2009

Quote:
I don't think I am missing it, I just don't agree. I don't see resourcefulness in navigating courts as having anything to do with resourcefulness navigating an ocean.
Like I said, you missed my point.

Please support my
Old 10-18-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I think the only debate strategy you guys have left at this point is the rhetorical coup de grâce:

"I know you are...what am I?"

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-18-2009

Johnthebowman is on a distinguished road
I read two newspaper website quotes from Mrs Dekker; Lauras mother.

1) "Laura will be able to keep up with her school work whilst at sea through emails"

2) "Sailing round the world is just like a day sail followed by another day sail the next day and then another one etc"

If these quotes are accurate and there is no explanation for them. Then it is clear to me that Mrs Dekker has not much of an idea of the challenges faced by any singlehanded sailor crossing the worlds oceans.

Having said that, I also read that Laura has crossed the North Sea single handed which is an achievement that I think she has a right to be proud of.

I wish Laura all the best of luck with her future challenges.
Old 10-19-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundancerKid View Post
Mate, you keep saying that but it isn't so. Only her father has so decided. Her mother would prefer for her to stay home. Trouble seems to be that the father has custody.
Ah, yes, now I found a news article that supports this. I stand corrected.

News update:

Quote:
AMSTERDAM 26 Oct 2009 Dutch authorities to say if 13-year-old can sail solo around world

The Dutch child protection agency, evaluating the physical and mental fitness of 13-year-old Laura Dekker to sail solo around the world, is expected to announced its decision. She had planned to set out on Sep 1 on her 26-foot yacht in an attempt to break a world record. A Dutch court ruled on Aug 28 that she is too young and ordered the evaluation. Officials argue that isolation, sleep deprivation, weather hazards and danger in foreign ports would be too much for a 13-year-old.

The case has raised a debate about how young is too young to sail around the world alone. British sailor Mike Perham, 17, recently finished a round-the-world solo voyage to become the youngest person to accomplish the feat. In October 16-year-old Jessica Watson left Sydney Harbour in a bright pink yacht to challenge his round-the-world solo record.

The 13-year-old has since proposed seeking the support of other sailors, arranging a small flotilla of their boats at various points in the voyage to ease some of the concerns about the dangers and isolation.

By all accounts, she is an adept sailor, and her father supports her quest. She was born on a boat in New Zealand to accomplished seafaring parents, lived at sea until she was 4, and has made a solo crossing of the North Sea. Sep/09
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Last edited by PCP777; 10-19-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
She isn't going until August at the earliest - been announced by the authorities.
Old 10-30-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
So does that mean that they are considering 15 to be the limit for "legally adult"?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-30-2009

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
Haven't seen the details yet in the papers, but in the news was told by the judge that she will be under supervision till next summer. Father says she is ready, but everybody, including Laura, say she has to do more preparation. She needs to prepare her boat, healthcare, etc. Laura wants to end this school-year. And the weather window is out now in winter.