Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Preemptive pirate attack???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
There was a report she withdrew $5K two days ago.
Old 12-20-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Here's an article:

Dutch Police: Young Sailor Laura Dekker Disappears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-20-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
I hope she makes it to someplace where she's not under house arrest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
If she gets out of this jam and gets underway she will have won me over.

I've said she is too young, but I also said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Len, I understand what you are saying ...

Look, if she's sophisticated enough to sail around the world by herself then she should have no trouble at all talking her way out of state custody without any help. If we put your (Len's) mind into a 13 year old's body you'd have no trouble talking your way out of the jam she's in and getting underway, because you have the life experience, mental capability, etc, to put forth a convincing argument and to find a way to get what you want. If we put you in front of a judge you'd use whatever strategy necessary to be convincing, you'd be able to navigate through this entire situation, figure out what moves you need to make, etc, and eventually you'd get your way. That's what adults are capable of doing, they are able to work with what they have to get what they want, they are self-directed enough to get their way, they are smart enough and have enough life experience to know what the best way forward is. If the kid is so capable, fine, let her talk her way on to her boat and shove off, she shouldn't have any problem with that if she is resourceful enough to deal with a broken mast at sea, or patch the deck with something if it is leaking, etc. Brilliant kid like that should have been smart enough not to get put into state custody in the first place, she should have had enough wisdom to know how people were going to react to what she was doing and she should have figured out a way to deal with that without losing her liberty. If she needs mommy and daddy to save her now, won't she need them later ? You wouldn't need your mommy and daddy to come save you if your mind was in her body, you'd be able to figure out how to get what you want, why ? Because you are an adult who is capable of understanding the complexities involved, capable of creating promising strategies that lead to successful outcomes, etc. If the girl is relying on her parents for everything, to get her out of jams, etc, then she's got no business sailing on her own either.
She's working a strategy that could work - get free, get boat, get gone, and not letting challenges get in your way is adult type thinking, the kind of thinking I think you need to make a trip like hers. Good for her. I was totally against her going, but not letting people get her way is winning her a convert here, that's the kind of attitude that deals logically with emergencies in the middle of the ocean be it a 13 year old or a 50 year old.

If she's resourceful enough to get herself out of this jam and not let circumstances stand in her way I think she might have what it takes to make the trip. She's working a strategy that could work, if she can get out of those waters and get to a more friendly place then maybe she can have her boat moved to where ever she is and take off. So long as it is her making these decisions I'm all for her going, if it is her parents helping her then that is another thing entirely. If it is just her then she is showing some real spark in my opinion, because what are the Dutch going to do, chase her down and shoot her ?

Please support my
Old 12-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"because what are the Dutch going to do, chase her down and shoot her ? "

No, but if someone her age has access to a bank account and can withdraw $5,000 (or euros or whatever) from it...in many places a prosecutor would go after the parents on contempt or conspiracy or other related criminal charges, and getting that news THAT could really put a crimp in her plans.

Slipping out the back door might be effective--but only if it was very carefully planned to prevent collateral damage. And then when she tries to clear into her first stop, well, someone might match up her name on a list and send her home under arrest anyway, leaving her new boat hanging on an impound dock someplace as well.

Not knowing the details...we can only guess that her memoirs will fetch a better price as the story gets more complicated.
Old 12-20-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"because what are the Dutch going to do, chase her down and shoot her ? "

No, but if someone her age has access to a bank account and can withdraw $5,000 (or euros or whatever) from it...in many places a prosecutor would go after the parents on contempt or conspiracy or other related criminal charges, and getting that news THAT could really put a crimp in her plans.

Slipping out the back door might be effective--but only if it was very carefully planned to prevent collateral damage. And then when she tries to clear into her first stop, well, someone might match up her name on a list and send her home under arrest anyway, leaving her new boat hanging on an impound dock someplace as well.

Not knowing the details...we can only guess that her memoirs will fetch a better price as the story gets more complicated.
That's my thinking too. If it is her making these moves, fine, more power to her, let a girl do whatever a girl can do. But if it is her father making these moves, suggesting she do this or that, making sure she has money, etc, and he is the resourceful one then he is the one who should be sailing around the world, not her. If it is her father that is providing the direction then I hope he really sits back and reflects on all of this before she leaves, is it really her wish to leave and sail around the world, or his ? If she really is self-directed enough to go whether he wants her to or not, fine, let her go, but if he is the one making the subtle suggestions, framing the dream in her mind, working behind the scenes to make it all work out for her, etc, then that's just wrong, that's putting a kid's life in danger, putting fancy dreams in her head and then not being there to make it all work out like he (presumably) always has. There are kids who are self-directed enough to do things like this, the kid that jumped in an airplane and flew it around then landed it comes to mind, now that was a resourceful kid.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-20-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-20-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Glorifying a 14 year old who has taken 5K from her parents and disappeared is assinine. I really don't get some on here and have to think that a few too many drinks are affecting reason. This is neither the behaviour of someone stable and able to take on this task, nor is it any indication whatsoever that her parents have any notion of raising children.

Resourceful behaviour... I have a hard time believing some use this as the definition of what's going on...
Old 12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Glorifying a 14 year old who has taken 5K from her parents and disappeared is assinine. I really don't get some on here and have to think that a few too many drinks are affecting reason. This is neither the behaviour of someone stable and able to take on this task, nor is it any indication whatsoever that her parents have any notion of raising children.

Resourceful behaviour... I have a hard time believing some use this as the definition of what's going on...
You assumed that it was her parent's money, I didn't. Obviously stealing is wrong, but I didn't hear anyone accuse her of stealing.

Edit, okay, I can see why you would have thought she had stolen it from her parents, the actual newspaper text says ...

Quote:
Jens would not comment on a report in Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant that Dekker withdrew $5,000 from her bank account a few days ago.
I had read that to say that Jens (the mother ?) was saying that Laura Dekker had taken 5k from her (her own - Laura's) account a few days ago, but I can see how you could read that and think that she was saying that Laura Dekker had taken 5k from her (the mother - Len's) account a few days ago.

Yeah, if the kid is stealing then I wouldn't call that resourceful, but are you sure she took the money from her parents ? How did she do that, can kids just walk into a Dutch bank and take 5K out of their parents' accounts ? That's not exactly the kind of money you're going to get at an ATM machine. I just assumed the kid was using her own money.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-20-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-20-2009

NorthUp is on a distinguished road
Found

in the Dutch Antilles-

BBC News - Missing girl sailor Laura Dekker found safe in Antilles

Missing girl sailor Laura Dekker found safe in Antilles

Laura Dekker began sailing solo when she was 10 years old
A Dutch teenager barred from sailing solo around the world because of her age has been found on a Caribbean island after disappearing, police say.

Laura Dekker, 14, is in police custody on the Dutch Antilles island of St Maarten, three days after relatives in the Netherlands reported her missing.

A Dutch police spokesman said the girl had been found "safe and sound".

Miss Dekker has been under supervision since a court blocked her bid to be the youngest person to sail the globe solo.

When did she leave the Netherlands? Why? How did she get to St Maarten? Did somebody help her and was she alone?

Bernhard Jens
police spokesman
Police said earlier they did not suspect any crime had been committed.

The court order in the city of Utrecht placed Miss Dekker under state supervision, while living with her father, until the end of her school year in July 2010.

After she vanished on Friday, her boat was found moored at its berth and she appears to have left her father's home on her own.

An unconfirmed Dutch newspaper report said she had withdrawn 3,500 euros ($5,000) from her bank account.

Questions

Utrecht police spokesman Bernhard Jens said the girl had been recognised by a woman living on the island who had been alerted to her disappearance by media coverage.

"We have lots more questions," he told AFP news agency.

"When did she leave the Netherlands? Why? How did she get to St Maarten? Did somebody help her and was she alone?"

At the time of the much-publicised court ruling in October, Miss Dekker's spokeswoman said she was disappointed but that the teenager could still set the record if she were to sail next year.

Miss Dekker is a seasoned sailor who was born on a yacht off the coast of New Zealand during a seven-year world trip.

She had a yacht by the age of six and began sailing solo when she was 10.

Her father, Dick Dekker, supports her attempt at the record, while her mother has expressed some concerns.

Miss Dekker had planned to spend about two years aboard her 8-m (26-ft) boat, Guppy, to break the record set in August by a 17-year-old UK boy.

Mike Perham tackled 50ft waves, gale force winds and technical problems during the 45,000-km (28,000-mile) circumnavigation, which took him nine months