Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
J windvane, and the others...

Perhaps this is what is wrong with America and our kids...they WILL live down to our expectations, how ever absurd they may be...and that if people like you prevail..many kids will never leave the front porch or experience life.

We, collectively, individually, or in any group or label you want to apply have no say so in how this kid is raised and what she "should" be allowed to do...

Had some overprotective know it all not gotten involved in the first place, she would be well on her way and NEWS FLASH - either succeeded or failed.

I have a son who when he was 13-14 was far more mature, and had a better head on his shoulders than many 30 somethings. Age has nothing to do with ability (or inability for that matter).

Why is it that every "expert" has to jump in on every situation and offer their one and only analysis to the perceived problem. I would suggest that many of you experts do not have kids, or if you do they are an aside.

Weird how she, at 14 made it to the Dutch Antilles...where were all your "protections" then...certainly SOMEONE should have done something..and yes - bad stuff happens all the time, to good people. I am living proof of that.

She has every right to do what she wishes, she has yet to blame or incriminate any one else...this should be between her and her custodian or parent, wherever or whoever they are.

Let the kid go...she will find out soon enough what life is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Why is it that every "expert" has to jump in on every situation and offer their one and only analysis to the perceived problem.
Because it's fun!

Seriously, analyses=opinions. Different ways to look at things. That's what a forum is about - and what keeps things spicy.

I mean, you just offered your analysis. So it's all good.

BTW - My expert analysis is that these people should TAKE their young kids on a circ - not push them away from the dock and party for a year while their "mature"-yet-very-minor spawn battle the elements alone. Convenient for the partying parent? Sure. Responsible, mature custodianship? Not so much. (At least that's what the "experts" in the Dutch courts said).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-21-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I dont know what the right thing is BUT the 14 year old seems to have the best skills and the most real boat time of the current crop

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-21-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
I read in the paper this morning that Laura was found in St. Maarten. No word in the short article if she was alone, or what she was supposedly doing there.
Old 12-21-2009

Superpickle is on a distinguished road
It scares me that the fact is, that Governments have takin over wiping our kids asses and we still pay the bills.. We have had our Parenting takin away , unless we do it the STATE Way..
An American lady visiting england a while ago , had a child throwing a temper tantrum.. so she whack it on the butt ,, the public assholes went into a frenzy and attacked the lady and TOOK her child, and the Court and the Ghestopo backed them up.. WHO Tramatized the child, it wasnt MOM.
What a bunch of CRAPP.. we have NO rights in this world beyond what BIG BROTHER allows us to retain and that is fewer and fewer every day..

as far as the Kid goes,, Hell, if she Dies out there its Natural Selection..

A friend after one of those POSTAL things , told me she could NOT se HOW a person could Do such a thing.. I thought for 1/634th of a Second and said,, "I CAN"

yes, i am Scary
Old 12-21-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Just came accross this update.

Dutch police seek to explain young sailor's trip - Yahoo! News
Old 12-21-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Cry me a friggin river... a 14 year old empties her bank account (and as you can't work at that age in NL, that was someone else's money), bails on her family, friends, relations and decides to start anew with a guitar and suncream...??? Her "dream" has been shattered. Oh my, what is one to do! Suck it up and move on - that's life. Everything is a concession to something or someone.

14, alone, flying half way across the world is not your stable, grounded reaction to this. It'll be nice in a few days when the parent's begin to get a stench around them and are finally shown for what they really are - manipulative, glory seeking, societal rejects that don't have the balls to live their own adventure but try to do it as a surrogate with their own kid. If it was a "dream", don't ya think she could wait a couple of years?
Old 12-21-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
BB and the group

It certainly may be the parents dream, but don't be too quick to say it ain't a normal reaction...I knew many girls way back, that much to their parents shagrin, that "ran away" when they were early teens, some from abusive family and fathers, some from Boys, some from problems...may be not the best solution, but it works for many

but I do have to give her credit...collected the money from the bank (hers or not...got an airplane ticket, got through security at the airport with a guitar and gear, made at least the one flight, likely two flights to get the islands, all this without "help"...

Whether it is "riding across the USA on a Harley", roadtrip, working the fishing boats, hiking the appalachian trail or what ever the dream of youth was for you....this girl did it... SHe appears happy in the pictures, so very little traumatization, no lack of self-confidence,

perhaps a "normal" 14 year old with a pretty deep bag of skills, that has been set aside, and in her world no one has "explained" why she CAN'T go...this is a kid that has been on the go without restrictions for some time..

I wish her happiness and success in her search...
Old 12-21-2009

Superpickle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Cry me a friggin river... a 14 year old empties her bank account (and as you can't work at that age in NL, that was someone else's money), bails on her family, friends, relations and decides to start anew with a guitar and suncream...??? Her "dream" has been shattered. Oh my, what is one to do! Suck it up and move on - that's life. Everything is a concession to something or someone.

14, alone, flying half way across the world is not your stable, grounded reaction to this. It'll be nice in a few days when the parent's begin to get a stench around them and are finally shown for what they really are - manipulative, glory seeking, societal rejects that don't have the balls to live their own adventure but try to do it as a surrogate with their own kid. If it was a "dream", don't ya think she could wait a couple of years?
When "THEY" cook up a reason to Take YOUR child, you will see it from the Proper prospective..
Old 12-22-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpickle View Post
When "THEY" cook up a reason to Take YOUR child, you will see it from the Proper prospective..
Ummm..... yeah, I guess I'll have to point to webcam at my driveway entrance to make sure THE MAN ain't coming to get me. Ever think of counseling?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.