Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
BB and the group

It certainly may be the parents dream, but don't be too quick to say it ain't a normal reaction...I knew many girls way back, that much to their parents shagrin, that "ran away" when they were early teens, some from abusive family and fathers, some from Boys, some from problems...may be not the best solution, but it works for many

but I do have to give her credit...collected the money from the bank (hers or not...got an airplane ticket, got through security at the airport with a guitar and gear, made at least the one flight, likely two flights to get the islands, all this without "help"...

Whether it is "riding across the USA on a Harley", roadtrip, working the fishing boats, hiking the appalachian trail or what ever the dream of youth was for you....this girl did it... SHe appears happy in the pictures, so very little traumatization, no lack of self-confidence,

perhaps a "normal" 14 year old with a pretty deep bag of skills, that has been set aside, and in her world no one has "explained" why she CAN'T go...this is a kid that has been on the go without restrictions for some time..

I wish her happiness and success in her search...
I too wish her happiness, and hope one day she can do her trip and enjoy it. The "dream" thing doesn't change because of a launch date - it's not like she has cancer or something and has 6 months to live and NEEDS to do it now. The only reason for the "now" is because she feels ready and it's the only way to be famous (which is clearly the underlying "dream" of this whole thing). Maybe I'm coming across as a scrooge, I don't really mind.

Oh, and you have to wonder why, if she is so capable and stable, that the British authorities put her under protective custody when she did her trans-channel crossing. I don't know about you, but I could get into just about any port without question or query, but somehow they decided it was in her best interest to be protected.... just another example of how this is wrong from day one...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lporcano View Post
You do realize that her parents already did do it. In fact she was born in NZ during a circumnavigation. Folks really need to stop projecting all of their own issues on this family and young lady. At 14, she is likely a better sailor than nearly everyone who posts here.

If I were to guess, I might think that the idea of a 14 year old living out something that most of us here dream about, makes some people feel really crappy about why they have not been able to live out their own dreams. So rather than figure out how to live out their dream, they look to explain why other folks are wrong for living out theirs.

The final line of yours really says it all. I would ask if it is a dream, then why wait until tomorrow. Living out your dreams is the best thing you can do, both for yourself and society. If you keep pushing your dreams off because their are too many obstacles or risks, you risk ending up a bitter person who spends their time trying to make sure other folks don't succeed where you failed, so they can be equally miserable.

I don't have much else to say really.... IF her "dream" is about circumnavigating solo, there's no rush - the oceans will still be there in 24 months...I really fail to see what another year or even decade will do to this "dream". IF her dream is about being "famous", then yes, this is a hitch in her plans. Don't you think that is the underlying issue here? If you haven't read between the lines and see this as a black and white societal and control issue, then I'm not sure there's much point continuing here.
Old 12-22-2009

Superpickle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Ummm..... yeah, I guess I'll have to point to webcam at my driveway entrance to make sure THE MAN ain't coming to get me. Ever think of counseling?
I fully understand your attitude, Americans have always kept their collective head in the sand until something Bites them on the Butt..

Your Programmed that way..
I just HOPE it never Does bite you..

Ergo Thats Exactly why this country is going down the crapper for good.

Buy buy Amereeka buy buy...

all praise be to Allah..
Old 12-22-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Ironically this girl has more sailing experience sailing alone than Zac did before he embarked on his journey. As a matter of fact Zac had never sailed alone. His alone experience consisted of 4 hour watches during crossings with his parents. Laura owner her first boat at the age of 11 and spent 7 months sailing it on her own.
Old 12-22-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
SailKing - I tend to agree that there is a fair level of sexism involved here. I will confess that it is much easier for me to think of a 15-16 year old boy doing this than a 15-16 year old girl. Part of that is because I can imagine too many horrible things happening to a girl simply because most of the world through which these kids will be sailing perceives women as at least a soft target - and in some places, much, much less than that.

That's another reason I personally draw the line, in my American mind, at 18. Male or female - they're adults. Let them do whatever they want to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-22-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
What Smack said is kind of my thinking, not about what gender they are, but I do have an age cut off in my mind of about 15. Like I said earlier in this thread, I just feel that below about 15 they simply aren't mature enough mentally to do something like that. I know there are people here saying otherwise but human beings develop from children into adults along a fairly predictable trajectory, as children their brains simply aren't functioning in the same way as an adult's brain is functioning, simple as that. I know the relativists are going to say (because they have) that it doesn't matter, what's the difference between 17 and 16, or 18 and 12 ? But there is a difference, 12 isn't 16, not in the same way that a 40 year old is essentially the same as a 50 year old in terms of how their mind works. These aren't just numbers that you can add and subtract, and draw relationships from, a 12 year old kid is not functioning as an adult and I don't care how much experience they have. I do realize, however, that children mature at different rates, and that is why I have been saying I think it is more about resourcefulness than about "sailing". With the proper gear you could teach a 5 year old to push the button to tack the boat, but that isn't what this is all about.

All that aside, I never said any of us had the right to stop her.

Please support my
Old 12-22-2009
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
My boy when 13 and weighing just 113 pounds set a world record. Should he have been prevented from doing it because of his age? In retrospect it would have been a terrible thing since he now is having some health problems that will prevent him from EVER doing it again. I'm glad he did at 13!
If there are parts of the world that view women as "soft targets" then maybe we need to turn our attention to putting an end to that situation. We can live in space, put men on the moon and explore Mars but we can't make our own planet safe from the scumbags and psycho religious goat F***** morons? (yeah, I'm talking about you terrorist scum bags hiding behind some idiot fake religious conviction)
If we as humans are truly "civilized" then we need to quit holding back our kids. They're more likely to get run over and killed while walking to school under protective custody than they are doing a huge number of things when they "dare to dream of great deeds". The Netherlands choose to pick on a young girl with a dream rather than getting involved in what they really should be doing which is ridding the world of the predators that make our oceans and dry ground dangerous!
Good god! I hope I never forget what it was like to be a kid and to have dreams. If I do then may I please have the good sense to vacate the planet because I have become a waste of breathable air!
Old 12-22-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
My boy when 13 and weighing just 113 pounds set a world record. Should he have been prevented from doing it because of his age? In retrospect it would have been a terrible thing since he now is having some health problems that will prevent him from EVER doing it again. I'm glad he did at 13!
If there are parts of the world that view women as "soft targets" then maybe we need to turn our attention to putting an end to that situation. We can live in space, put men on the moon and explore Mars but we can't make our own planet safe from the scumbags and psycho religious goat F***** morons? (yeah, I'm talking about you terrorist scum bags hiding behind some idiot fake religious conviction)
If we as humans are truly "civilized" then we need to quit holding back our kids. They're more likely to get run over and killed while walking to school under protective custody than they are doing a huge number of things when they "dare to dream of great deeds". The Netherlands choose to pick on a young girl with a dream rather than getting involved in what they really should be doing which is ridding the world of the predators that make our oceans and dry ground dangerous!
Good god! I hope I never forget what it was like to be a kid and to have dreams. If I do then may I please have the good sense to vacate the planet because I have become a waste of breathable air!
NCountry, at 13, did you think your son was old enough to sail around the world by himself ? You seem like a good person to ask, your son must have been very capable for his age, so all B.S. aside, was he old enough to sail around the world by himself ?

Please support my
Old 12-22-2009
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
He didn't have quite enough sailing experience to handle the trip at the time so in that light no.
On the other hand he was old enough (and did) go out, kill a deer, blood trail it and recover it, bring it home, hang it, gut it, cut it up and freeze it after processing it himself (something, I might add, that most grown men can't do).
If he at the time had sailing experience equal to his hunting experience then yes he would have been allowed to try it. AND yes, if he had enough experience and the desire to try I would have allowed him to make the attempt. No B.S.
In that light let me make this statement. Age alone should not be the sole reason for being entitled to do something. I know of plenty of people that while of age, have no business even driving a car or any business voting for that matter.
Old 12-22-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I can sympathize with the 16 or 18 year old being an acceptable age age. But even in this thread many can't agree on what that age might be. On the other hand some children mature faster than others. There are children that do things at an early age that many adults will never accomplish both mentally an physically.

For me the determination comes down to the ability of the individual and in this case the parents to make all reasonable efforts for the child to be safe and successful if that is their collective decision.

This little girl was burn and raised on a boat and has been sailing for longer than some in this thread. Now, maybe she ran away because SHE felt unable or scared to carry through on her dream. This would tell me that she is not ready mentally. Funny how things have a way of working out.

I guess I just believe decisions should be made by those immediately involved and not based on what i or others might feel. We as a nation have gone to the extreme of protecting our children to the point they can not even play the way you or I did when growing up for fear a knee might get skinned.