Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
For the moment Laura is not alowed to go!
The authority of the parents is limited by court. At this way they try to prevent Laura leaving The Netherlands. She can live with her father at home. The Judge emphasized that the father isn't a bad father.
Supervision by Youthcare is for 2 months. Meanwhile they will research if Laura can handle the psychic pressure of the planned trip and if she is able to home-school herself for 3rd and 4th grade.
So, if nothing special happens in between we have to waite 2 more months.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Pierre - do you think she should go? I'm kind of interested in your perspective since this is happening in your backyard. We Yanks always are quick with an opinion - but it's from our cultural viewpoint, not yours.

If nothing else, how can a kid home-school herself? That sounds weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-28-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
the fundamental question remains - should a court impose common sense on a parent who apparently has none?
Old 08-28-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
My daughter home-school here self with and internet based school program we payed for that included grading and while she had a host family It was here and the 3 roommates that rasied each other

Oak Meadow: Homeschooling Curriculum, Resources, and Support

It must of worked because when she moved to a different company in Carlisle PA she had no problem being placed into the 12th grade and getting a REAL diploma in one year

And getting into collage RIGHT after that

I get a bit extra pisssed about the whole thing because i went the trade school route in 1973 and got SH?? about back then and the know it alls have pretty much destroyed the trade programs NOW in this area ,By making it more and more diffcult to learn a trade and get a diploma which was the norm in the past

Your also deluding yourself about"happy home life" and what a kid can do i had two handicapped brothers and two parents with drinking problems and was the adult pretty dam early in life

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 08-28-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow Tom, congrats to your daughter. That's cool. She was in ballet right?

My wife is homeschooling our kids and they are loving it. It just seemed weird to me to think about a kid doing it him/herself based on my own dislike for school when I was a kid. Had it been up to me, I would have seriously blown it all off!!

Old 08-28-2009

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
Hi smackdaddy,

Thanks for asking. Raised in the Netherlands, traveled around the world in North-, Central- and South America, Europe, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, China, Australia and big parts of Africa and living in the Dutch Antilles for almost 15 years were we got our kids 6 and 8 years old I’m still Dutch but at a distant. I followed Zac from the beginning and like to see many more youngsters doing things we perhaps also liked when we were young. When I heart of Laura I also followed this story. Because it got so much media attention already in the Netherlands Authorities had to do something. We have laws for school going kids, and as I read the posts here, there are laws and rules in the USA as well. Perhaps even more. But different countries with different rules with same intentions. Even New Zeeland probably won’t let her go.
Holland is a very small country and we are not used to home-schooling. I heart of home-schooling on Dutch cruisers around the world, but than with parents on board. My opinion on this is that a girl with so many tasks to do, she has no time for doing home-schooling. Internet at sea? And then the physical part. Is she strong enough? And can she do the many technical parts. She has been held in England. How will other countries (Authorities) react and will she not been abused by rough harbour people, Fishermen at sea etc. with the wrong intentions.

Nature can be harsh and people violent especially for a lonely 13 year old girl without supervision. The world isn’t (always) nice.

If it was my girl I say NO. Not for the honour to be the first and youngest. If she likes the sailing and adventure, then why not with her father?

I like to see her go. But she has to follow the rules and mostly I like to see her safe!
Old 08-28-2009
Last Man Standing

Sounds very reasonable to me Pierre. I'm with you.

I think it was CD who asked if there was a double standard here in comparing the hesitancy to let her do this with the general support of Zac's trip. And I'll be honest...I do think letting this young girl go is far worse because of all the reasons you mention above. It's not the worst of nature that scares me, it's the worst of men.

Maybe that is a double standard - maybe Zac could have suffered the same potential atrocities - but I honestly don't think so. And especially after so much global attention - I think it's insane to send this girl off now. It's like chumming the water then sending your kind in to swim.

The downsides of press and sponsorship I guess.

Old 08-28-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Gesh... If she went, the parents would have to set up a world wide net of care givers to assume custody until she clears customs and is headed out to the next port.
If the Boy started at fifteen then she could wait a couple of years and then see if the desire to sail the world is still there. And if that desire is still there then she could try then. But the key issue would be the Care givers in various ports that would see to her and the boat's need.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-28-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilder View Post
Most (if not all) states in the US require a child to attend some form of school until a certain age. Where I grew up you had to attend school until the age of 16. After that you could drop out if you wanted to. The State freaking out about her missing 2 years of compulsory school is not a uniquely Dutch concern. You can't do it here, either...
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

I'm not aware of a single State in the U.S. that doesn't allow home-schooling. And it is not something that requires the permission of the state or local government, either. If any communication with the government is required at all, it is merely to inform them that your child won't be attending their local school system. It's certainly not to ask permission.

As far as the curriculum, home schooled kids can have as structured or unstructured a program as their parents want. Hell, some parents embrace a philosophy called "unschooling" where the kids follow no curriculum whatsoever. Instead they learn by doing/experience. No academics whatsoever.

Bottom line: Attending the government's school system is not compulsory in the United States, as it appears to be in Holland.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-28-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
John

Having done it in Ny your required to have the SCHOOL approve and monitor your home school program which is WHY i had to use she does not live in Ny anymore F-OFF plan

It was intresting and made the papers at the time as great neck schools had done a program to allow Sarah Hughes to school while doing the Olympics and they got the seat time ISSUE waved

Commack schools were i live would not do anything as despite having compleatly wired class rooms that allowed you be in class from anyplace the teachers contract did not require them to use it OR do e-mail and they stayed hung up on the required seat time

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat