Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009
Banned

lporcano is on a distinguished road
seeya

Last edited by lporcano; 03-23-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2009

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Too many people here seem to have a wanton careless attitude about child care predicated upon the old argument about government intervention and some perception a parent knows how to bring up their kids. BS!
There's nothing outdated about the notion that government is a miserable substitute for a loving parent. Parents are in a position to know how their child feels and thinks about things, and their maturity, or lack thereof, and they are in a position to know the extent of the child's sailing knowledge and skill. A judge knows absolutely nothing about the child, but relies on the testimony of a social worker or psychologist with minimal credentials who has talked with the child for a grand total of an hour or less. The judge probably has no experience sailing, so must rely on the testimony of a sailor to inform him of the challenges involved in a circumnavigation. Because there are no accepted standards of expertise for sailors, the sailor might or might not be sufficiently experienced to express meaningful opinions. Worse yet, the judge might be one of the many ill-informed people who harbors an unexpressed bias against anyone who goes to sea in a small boat, thinking that they must be either crazy or suicidal. Important decisions that will affect your child's life for many years rely upon such a shallow basis. This judge, upon whom you are so ready to rely for a thoughtful decision, might well be the same person who couldn't figure out what to do with an abused child, and so he returned the child to the custody of his abuser, with a stern admonition to not do that anymore.

I spent a career working with judges, and they are generally nice, well-intentioned folks, but a judge doesn't love your child, or know your child, or understand your child, and often doesn't have a very solid grasp of your familial relationship. A judge is the absolute last place you should go for an important decision affecting the life of your child, and then only after all other alternatives have failed. In that case, you might or might not get a sound decision, but at least you'll get a decision.
Old 08-31-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"
You're sure it is a good idea to put an end to Darwinian evolution and replace it with "survival of all" ? And everything that comes with "all" running things?
You say something very interesting. In a lot of hard core conservative views I see undertones of this statement and always wonder if this is what they are really getting at.

Do we build a society where the strong support the weak or where the strong crush the weak.

Being a Canadian we lean toward the former at this time.

Last edited by SSBN506; 08-31-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2009

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm
She was definitely capable of home-schooling herself from the age of about 10 up.
I don't doubt that. I don't doubt that there are a lot of kids out there who are capable of home-schooling themselves. But can they do it at the same time that they are dealing with all of the issues associated with a solo circumnavigation? THAT, I doubt!
Old 08-31-2009

mdidriksen is on a distinguished road
Interesting that Jessica Watson's proposed trip hasn't raised the same outcry, although there is a big difference between 14 and 16.

Jessica Watson - youngest ever to sail around the world

She's also planning on a non-stop, so I guess that means not as much worry about encountering unsavory characters in ports, but certainly more worry about encountering nasty conditions.
Old 08-31-2009

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHawkins
My 13 yr old daughter saw this story and asked some good questions:
Can her parents visit her in ports along the way?
Will she have a radio to call for help with?
Can she quit if she wants to?
If something breaks and she doesn't know how to fix it, can she radio for help fixing it?
How long is the longest passage between ports?
What's the longest passage she has done already?
and a few others.
I hope you told your daughter the appropriate answers. For instance, can she radio for help? She can try, but if she's in the middle of the ocean there is very little chance that help will get there in time to make any difference. She needs to be prepared to deal with EVERYTHING that might come up, and to deal with it entirely by herself.

And even then, she's too young.
Old 08-31-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
A lot of you are hung up that what shes misses in school is a big deal that cant be fixed later and dismiss that what she does learn will be far more inportant

And shes allready done more solo time at sea (weeks at a time ) than 99% of the sailors in the world and seems better prepared than mosty also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2009

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
Mother won't let go Laura!

FYI

For the first time Laura's Mother speaks about the plans from her daughter. (Volkskrant, Dutch Newspaper)

"If it was me, I won't let her go. Period!"
She made this decision although she knows she can loose the contact with Laura. I prefer to have a daughter alive I never see, instead of a death daughter.

She thinks Laura can handle the voyage technical. "She can sail like the devil, thats not the problem". But she sees the problems in third world harbors and the physical pressure alone at sea. "The main point is: To my opinion she isn't an adult yet."

She isn't also sure if it is a plan from Laura or from her father.

As we know. We have to wait for the outcome in 2 months. Youth-care has to make it very clear that Laura can't make the trip.

Newspaper article
Moeder wil zeilster Laura niet laten gaan
WIJK BIJ DUURSTEDE - De moeder van de 13-jarige Laura Dekker wil niet dat haar dochter op deze leeftijd solo rond de wereld zeilt. Het is de eerste keer dat de moeder van Laura zich in de media uitlaat over de voornemens van haar dochter.
Foto: ANP
„Als het aan mij ligt, zou ik Laura niet laten gaan. Klaar”, zegt Babs Müller in de Volkskrant. „Het breekt mijn hart dat ik hierdoor misschien het contact met mijn dochter verlies. Ik heb nog nooit in mijn leven zo'n moeilijk besluit moeten nemen. Maar ik moet de gevolgen van mijn beslissing accepteren. Ik heb liever een levende dochter die ik nooit meer zie, dan een dode dochter.”

Müller denkt dat haar dochter de reis technisch aankan. „Ze kan zeilen als de duivel. Dat is het probleem niet.” Maar ze ziet wel problemen in de derdewereldhavens en in de psychische druk van het alleen zijn op zee. „Het belangrijkste van alles is: in mijn ogen is ze gewoon nog niet volwassen.”

Ook vraagt ze zich af of de reis wel Laura's eigen plan is en niet dat van haar vader, waar Müller inmiddels van gescheiden is. „Ik heb het idee dat hij al jaren bezig is haar dit in te prenten.” Laura woont sinds haar zesde niet meer bij haar moeder.

De kinderrechter stelde de puber voor een periode van twee maanden onder toezicht van jeugdzorg. De Raad voor de Kinderbescherming spande de rechtszaak aan omdat het volgens de raad onverantwoord is dat het meisje de reis van twee jaar in haar eentje maakt. De rechtbank deelt de vraagtekens bij Laura's vermogen om met extreme omstandigheden om te gaan.

Half oktober moeten enkele onderzoeken naar de situatie en naar Laura zelf zijn afgerond. De kinderbescherming moet concreet laten zien waarom Laura volgens haar de reis niet zou moeten maken. Ook heeft de kinderrechter een kinderpsycholoog aangesteld om de zeilster te onderzoeken. Op basis van die onderzoeken bepaalt de kinderrechter eind oktober of Laura langer onder toezicht van jeugdzorg blijft.

Last edited by PierreMundo; 09-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreMundo View Post
FYI

For the first time Laura's Mother speaks about the plans from her daughter. (Volkskrant, Dutch Newspaper)

"If it was me, I won't let her go. Period!"
She made this decision although she knows she can loose the contact with Laura. I prefer to have a daughter alive I never see, instead of a death daughter.

She thinks Laura can handle the voyage technical. "She can sail like the devil, thats not the problem". But she sees the problems in third world harbors and the physical pressure alone at sea. "The main point is: To my opinion she isn't an adult yet."

She isn't also sure if it is a plan from Laura or from her father.

As we know. We have to wait for the outcome in 2 months. Youth-care has to make it very clear that Laura can't make the trip.

Newspaper article
Moeder wil zeilster Laura niet laten gaan
WIJK BIJ DUURSTEDE - De moeder van de 13-jarige Laura Dekker wil niet dat haar dochter op deze leeftijd solo rond de wereld zeilt. Het is de eerste keer dat de moeder van Laura zich in de media uitlaat over de voornemens van haar dochter.
Foto: ANP
„Als het aan mij ligt, zou ik Laura niet laten gaan. Klaar”, zegt Babs Müller in de Volkskrant. „Het breekt mijn hart dat ik hierdoor misschien het contact met mijn dochter verlies. Ik heb nog nooit in mijn leven zo'n moeilijk besluit moeten nemen. Maar ik moet de gevolgen van mijn beslissing accepteren. Ik heb liever een levende dochter die ik nooit meer zie, dan een dode dochter.”

Müller denkt dat haar dochter de reis technisch aankan. „Ze kan zeilen als de duivel. Dat is het probleem niet.” Maar ze ziet wel problemen in de derdewereldhavens en in de psychische druk van het alleen zijn op zee. „Het belangrijkste van alles is: in mijn ogen is ze gewoon nog niet volwassen.”

Ook vraagt ze zich af of de reis wel Laura's eigen plan is en niet dat van haar vader, waar Müller inmiddels van gescheiden is. „Ik heb het idee dat hij al jaren bezig is haar dit in te prenten.” Laura woont sinds haar zesde niet meer bij haar moeder.

De kinderrechter stelde de puber voor een periode van twee maanden onder toezicht van jeugdzorg. De Raad voor de Kinderbescherming spande de rechtszaak aan omdat het volgens de raad onverantwoord is dat het meisje de reis van twee jaar in haar eentje maakt. De rechtbank deelt de vraagtekens bij Laura's vermogen om met extreme omstandigheden om te gaan.

Half oktober moeten enkele onderzoeken naar de situatie en naar Laura zelf zijn afgerond. De kinderbescherming moet concreet laten zien waarom Laura volgens haar de reis niet zou moeten maken. Ook heeft de kinderrechter een kinderpsycholoog aangesteld om de zeilster te onderzoeken. Op basis van die onderzoeken bepaalt de kinderrechter eind oktober of Laura langer onder toezicht van jeugdzorg blijft.
Thanks Pierre.

The mother's comments seem to confirm what we previously inferred -- there are legitimate questions about the father/daughter relationship and the true impetus for the voyage.

Putting aside her ability to homeschool, her sailing skills, boat choice, preparations, etc, -- it seems the mother's concerns about the safety of her minor child are being minimized or overridden by the father, from whom she's divorced. If her estranged parent's don't agree on this, it doesn't seem likely that the courts (through youth services) will allow it.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-08-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
In today's NY Times

There is an editorial in today (9/8) NY Times on this and is worth reading.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/op..._r=1&th&emc=th