Burglary rather than piracy, but it's still theft on the water - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
Burglary rather than piracy, but it's still theft on the water

2 questioned after boat chase on Lake Michigan :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime
Police were questioning two men who fled police in a 22-foot luxury speed boat on Lake Michigan after officers were investigating a string of boat burglaries in Monroe Harbor early Monday.

As of 4 a.m. the two men were being interviewed by police, according to police Marine Unit Sgt. Jim Vanvranken.

The incident began about 3 a.m. when police were staking out Monroe Harbor on a burglary mission after a recent string of burglaries to boats in the harbor and officers had noticed a speedboat that came into the harbor and turned its lights off, according to the sergeant.

“Our guys were watching them. As our boats approached they fired up this fast boat with no lights on and took off running. They hit the lake,’’ the sergeant said. The sergeant said officers in their newest, fastest boat gave chase north and trapped them near Navy Pier.
(snip)

I've never had problems in Belmont Harbor, which is a few miles up the lakefront, but I'm out on a can and don't have the sort of boat that screams "Goodies Here!"

I've talked to people in slips who've had problems with break-in's in the past, though. Usually target the easy stuff (laptops, handheld GPS'es and radios) along with chartplotters and other expensive electronics.

So wherever you are, keep an eye peeled for boats behaving suspiciously and don't hesitate to report them to the local Police Marine units.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2010

chrisj13 is on a distinguished road
hang em high....or deep in this case!
Old 02-05-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
We, the boating community, could certianly run a tighter ship when it comes to securing our boat from theft. Most people take more steps to secure their car.

I'm in a marina that is located in an area known for some crime (been in much worst but also much better) and it has little security, though the car access is gravel and there are people living near the ramp. The marina discourages an active sailing/boating community, there are few full time liveaboards (some of us spent more time on board than not so that helps), no cameras, no gates, no police or patrols at night and few boats are alarmed. (if the marina was cheap I would say fine but we are paying enough to have some services)

So far it has not been a major problem, as far as I know out of the hundreds of boats here only one has had a major theft this off season.

Part of the reason must be that those of us who are around always keep an eye out which may mean there are easier pickin's elsewhere, so that is good.

BUT the #1 way to stop theft is for us to stop buying stolen parts. We do it to ourselves. This is one reason I bought a new outboard. Yeah a couple local outboards looked like a deal, maybe too good of a deal and I do not want to find out later that someone else remembers that sratch on the side!

I'm looking for some used electronics. Something real cheap that has been upgraded but I often see electronics that are much too new to have been upgraded and no connectors? If we didn't buy or use obviously stolen stuff less of it would be stolen.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P

Last edited by Architeuthis; 02-05-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2010
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
My workshop on the hard has been robbed five times, and I have discovered that I have little tolerance or sympathy for thieves of any type. I don't buy stolen parts, and I won't tolerate them on my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 04-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
(Old thread, I know.)

Can you add a camera to your workshop, so you can see who they are?

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 09-17-2011

safira is on a distinguished road
I was in New Symrna beach at anchor and saw some kids go aboard a vessel anchored just off my bow, so I calkled FWC and they were there in about 10 to 15 minutes. The mother of the kids was on a sandbar just off from the vessel they boarded. They swam to the vessel with a ladder to get onboard. When the FWC officer talked with them, they said they thought the boat was abandoned,(how convenitant). Unfortunatley the owner decided not to press charges.