SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing Couples Who Met on the Internet

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  imagine2frolic 
#1 ·
I read the post by Rhosynmor this morning.... http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/57471-goodbye-thanks-all-fish.html#post517050 ...and followed the link to their blog. I was intrigued to find out that they had met on the Internet. Marybeth posted a thread seeking a sailing vessel to crew on, and on the same day Nicholas posted a thread seeking crew. He's from Britain and she's from the USA, and they are now in the final stages of preparing to sail off together.

Edi and I also met on the Internet, using a crew search site. Sixteen months later we still haven't found anything we don't agree on, as we count-down our final couple of weeks before sailing away on a slow and very thorough circumnavigation. Although we're both from British Columbia, we met on a British site.

One of the ladies that Edi had crewed with on several boats, has for more than a year now been with her Internet-met mate, sailing from the eastern Caribbean through Panama, and they are now in French Polynesia. She's from Quebec and he's from California.

The Internet's broad reach allows us to be very specific, and to filter right down to what really matters to us in a relationship. For it to work, we must understand who we are and what we are looking for.

I'm sure there are many sailing couples who met on the Internet. Let's hear about some more of them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Michael,
I met Traci almost two years ago, on a singles site. She knew that I sailed, and that I was looking for someone to sail with. She had never actually sailed, but was interested. We now sail all the time, and she's getting really comfortable with my passion. She does better than 90% of the people that I've sailed with in the past. Even my racing buddies from back in Wisconsin. She reads the wind, takes the helm even when it's rough, and can pick up a sailing term in an instant. She's a born natural. When the kid is off to college, we plan on long term cruising together. I couldn't ask for more.
I think the internet is a great place for sailors and and sailorettes to meet. and your right, you weed through the ones that want nothing to do with sailing and other things that you're looking for. It really makes the dating thing easy. Although, you do meet a few psycho's along the way.

Dave & Traci

#3 ·
... She does better than 90% of the people that I've sailed with in the past. Even my racing buddies from back in Wisconsin. She reads the wind, takes the helm even when it's rough, and can pick up a sailing term in an instant. She's a born natural. When the kid is off to college, we plan on long term cruising together. I couldn't ask for more.
Wonderful, isn't it.

I think the internet is a great place for sailors and and sailorettes to meet. and your right, you weed through the ones that want nothing to do with sailing and other things that you're looking for. It really makes the dating thing easy.
You're so right; of the many respondents to my ad, very few made it past the first or second email. Of those that did, only a dozen or so made it to a face-to-face meeting, and of those, only the last one made it more than one meeting :D

Although, you do meet a few psycho's along the way.
But anyone who has successfully navigated the Internet waters strewn with "Nigerian scams", "your online account has been compromised" and other "click-here" shams, should know what's real. :rolleyes:

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Thecuban and I met on a singles site 4 years, 10 months, 8 days...
Oh, hell, it seems like f.o.r.e.v.e.r. ago.

She's crazy, and I'm cranky, it works.
That's the beauty of it. Cranky-looking-for-Crazy meets Crazy-looking-for-Cranky. Click. You'd drink yourself silly while never finding a match anywhere near as good in a bar.

#5 ·
Met my l'il brown love online. Found my cat Imagine online. Found my house online too. I find the internet a great tool for busy people. Not to mention all the yucks I get at the forums.........i2f

Attachments

#6 ·
Hey Michael,
Laura and I met on match.com 8 years ago. We had a love of sailing in plus a lot of other things in common. Without the Internet I'd probably still be sailing solo as I never did well in singles bars.
Strangely enough Laura and I grew up about a block apart in a small town and my best friend in high school dated her sister but we never met until match.com
Azi

#10 ·
Strangely enough Laura and I grew up about a block apart in a small town and my best friend in high school dated her sister but we never met until match.com
Azi
Yes, this is one of the beauties of Internet matchmaking. We can be so near, yet so unknown. Somewhat like unlit ships passing in the night.

#7 · (Edited)
I met my honey as a result of an ad I placed in a FL scuba diving magazine for a dive buddy and cruising partner. She was a diver, but had never been a sailor. We exchanged e-mails for 5 months before we ever met. In that time, we came to know each other very well, so when we met, it was like meeting a good friend, not a stranger.

Fast forward a couple years. We are now married (had our ceremony on a beach in the Bahamas) and she loves cruising almost as much as I do. We are very much in love and after being together almost 5 years, we have yet to exchange a cross word with one another.

The Internet made this all possible.

#11 ·
... We exchanged e-mails for 5 months before we ever met. In that time, we came to know each other very well, so when we met, it was like meeting a good friend, not a stranger....
Exactly. Fundamental to a good relationship is that we be good friends.

... and after being together almost 5 years, we have yet to exchange a cross word with one another.
We both come from prior marriages, and we're both amazed that we have yet to have an angry word with each other. What a difference!

#8 ·
Yes, the internet is a wonderful thing. :) One of the cool concepts was that because we had emailed a number of times before we met was that Marybeth had already seen numerous pics of Rhosyn mor before coming aboard, and so perhaps was more at home than if she had just stepped on one afternoon.
There are some caveats . that we all understand when meeting somone online.... but the advent of instant messaging and web cams have made it so easy for a cruising sailor/ess to meet their soulmate. It is interesting to note that of all the couples I know, the ones that seem happiest/ more together are those that met online

#12 ·
... Marybeth had already seen numerous pics of Rhosyn mor before coming aboard, and so perhaps was more at home than if she had just stepped on one afternoon
Very true. It certainly takes a huge amount off the edge when stepping into a strange boat ....and into a strange life.

It is interesting to note that of all the couples I know, the ones that seem happiest/ more together are those that met online
I've been seeing the same thing.

#9 ·
I believe a lot of it is you have time to get to know eachother. Time for real conversations, pics can be exchanged, and thoughts processed. I have found this a huge advantage. Although there are those who pretend to be someone they are not. That's just a matter of moving on.........i2f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.