Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009

BoatKid5 is on a distinguished road
Total Cost of owning a sailboat

I am new to this forum and i have really been wanting to save up for a sailboat. I learned how to sail on a sunfish and want to take sailing lessons. Both of my parents know how to sail but we do not own a sailboat. If i convince my dad to split the price with me then we will be able to buy one. Currently i am working two jobs to help pay for the sailboat. I really have my mind set on a sailboat around 20'-27' and that has a cabin on it for weekend trips. I really like the O'day 22 and the Catalina model also. I have looked around at boat listing in my area and have found some nice sailboats under $5,000. If there are any other good boats that you have seen for sail please feel free to pm me.

anyways.........
what is the total cost (and yearly cost) for owning a sailboat around 20'-27 feet. We would need to get a dock slip to store it.

i would like to know this so my parents have an idea about how much it is total.

THANKS!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
You can find some decent boats on a shoestring budget like that... you'll also get a lot of experience and knowledge about how to maintain them, because they'll probably come from the early 70s and need a lot of maintenance My boat, purchased a year and a half ago, is exactly the sort you're looking for. I find that on a yearly basis, moorage, maintenance, and insurance overwhelm the original cost of the boat.

Depending on where you live, for a small boat like that, your family might consider keeping the boat on a trailer on your property. A slip for a 22' boat can be over $2000/yr, and for 27' can be nearly $3000/yr. Insurance is comparatively inexpensive, so your other big cost is maintenance. If your family does all the work (and actually, two or three people is plenty to take care of a boat that size) then it can be a lot less expensive, but still: I've done all the maintenance on my boat and it's been about $1300 this year alone. Last year my total expenses were about $8K and this year we've been a bit more efficient at $4K, but I may have more projects at the end of the year.

To summarize, if you do all the labor yourself (and do it reasonably well), and you keep the boat in the water your biggest cost will probably be moorage. At least it was for me and I'm in a similar budget/boat range it would seem.
Old 08-28-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
The only cost you can calculate for certain are slip costs because all marinas have them posted somewhere or can quote you the cost per foot per year. The rest is entirely up to you on how much you wish to invest initially and annually for maintenance and upgardes.
Personally I spend a bit too much on mine but I get a lot out of it. My doctor cannot prescribe a drug that can do for me what an afternoon of sailing will do and as for a weekend getaway not even the illegal drug marrket can top that one.
Sailing is a passion to sailors as golf is to golfers, boating is a hole in the water to dump your money and golf is a hole in the ground to putt your money into, everyone has a pursuit that costs $$$. Even for a small sailboat your costs are going to be in the thousands per year or more depending on how many smaller toys you put on your big toy.
Buy a nice sailboat and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Old 08-28-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Cost of storage is the single biggest X-FACTOR

Around here a dock space is 5K MIN Vs a mooring with launch at 1400 dollars massive differance

Storeing a boat in a yard is also a big cost a 29' will run about 2400 dollars for winter storage NO matter how you slice the bread

I have friends that bring boats home UP to 35' and between the trucking and lifting is still cost about 2K

I still use a trailor and bring it home for the winter so its about 500 dollars round trip for the crane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Generally taking every thing into account... the annual cost of the boat will be about 25 to 30% more than you can afford with out regard to what type boat or where it is located.

That is the thing about sailing... it IS worth it! and that is why we do it anyway.
Old 08-28-2009

Hesper is on a distinguished road
Only had mine for nine years, so I don't know yet.
Old 08-28-2009

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
When it comes to boats, there is only one completely truthful answer whenever anyone asks a question about how much they should expect it to cost...

EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT!!!

(And like RealityCheck said, it's worth every penny.)
Old 08-28-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
one must include the lost income for days taken off work and the storage and the purchase price and ....... and don t forget the price of whatever it is the ex gets from the separation..or divorce----LOL......

Last edited by zeehag; 08-28-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: bhoatkat duzent know what he costs....
Old 08-28-2009

BoatKid5 is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the replys!
Old 08-29-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
It can be done cheaper

As most said the cost of sailing is very dependent on the cost of mooring. If you are willing to keep it 22 feet or under and your parents have a medium sized car or SUV, you can sail for cheap by

Keeping the boat on a trailer

Keeping the boat simple

Buying the right boat the first time

By keeping the boat on a trailer you can avoid the big expenses and maintenance of paying for a slip and painting the boat each season. If the boat is light enough set up time will run around 20-30 minutes with some practice and will allow you to explore a variety of sailing areas.

If you have a few choices of boats spend a little more for one in great shape ready to go. The boat that is $1-2,000 less may have $5,000 less of equipment or future projects included, plus the time it takes to do these projects. How do I know this? I just bought a $1,000 sailboat.

Check out boats like the Catalina 22 or West Wight Potter 19 or some other boats in the 17-22' range. Also check out Frugal Yachting by Larry Brown. Good luck in your search.