Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009

mmazour is on a distinguished road
S2 7.3

Look at the S2 7.3 I had one with a saildrive. It was excellent starter boat fixed keel, 4' draft, rock solid, fairly quick, stable and fun. Sleeping 4 might be a tad tight unless your talking about 2 adults and 2 children (or short people)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009

BoatKid5 is on a distinguished road
i am sort of leaning to the catalina 22 because it would cost less to own a slip. If we do end up buying a sailboat i will likely be paying for the slip
Old 08-28-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
The only C22 I've been on had a very small slide out galley w/maybe 5 gal. of water and I think the owner said it was an option. I'm not sure I'd even consider it a 'galley'.

I'd also recommend the 25 footer if you're leaning toward a Catalina. You will be surprised at the difference in cabin volume and it will make those planned 3 -4 day trips on the Chesapeake much more comfortable. Another plus is the enclosed head which is always popular with the ladies.

BTW, if I had my druthers, I'd go with the keel version of the C25. I've read that it sails better than the swing keel and it gives a bit more headroom. Happy hunting.

Add: Oh yeah, the 3 foot addition shouldn't be all that much more, in 'boat bucks' that is, for the slip charges. $25/35 mo.?

Last edited by fullkeel7; 08-28-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add on
Old 08-28-2009

Sarguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesper View Post
I'm someone who doesn't believe in "starter" anything. I want the right item the first time - wife, house, boat - and I've accomplished that. When I went for my first (and last) boat one criterion was that it be the largest that I felt comfortable handling alone. For me, that was 28 feet. Stretched my budget a little bit, but I've had it 9 seasons now and it's still right for me. That saves me a lot of money and hassle in the long run (saved even more getting the right wife first time out!).
I've had my starter wife for 34 years now, and her trade in value is a lot less than she is worth to me now. My next (first) keel boat will be my last boat, and the choice will be made by what boats are available, storage availability, and a little bit by budget. I'm comfortable handling 36 - 44 footers, but they are somewhat out of my price range.

Bob
Old 08-28-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I know that Catalina 22 quite well. My father owned 3 Catalinas (22, 27, 30) and I worked for two dealers in the South Jersey area in the late 70's. I think that Catalina in general is a fine boat for its intended purpose (overnighting and coastal sailing). You won't go wrong owning one.

I do not think that you will be happy trying to squeeze 4 people inside the 22 for anything more than an hour. You can not come close to standing and the "galley" is a joke. It's a great day sailor or overnighter for a couple of adults on a cool night; it gets REAL stuffy REAL fast in warm weather. You would do much better to get a Catalina 25 or 27 or something similar. Go older if the price is a problem; the great thing about Catalinas is that there are lots of them and the prices are appropriately low.

As to difficulty handling a first boat; it's like anything else. Practice, ask questions, don't be afraid to mess up. EVERYONE on Sailnet has messed up (see the Bonehead Moves thread ). if you haven't messed up more than once, you haven't been on the water long.

My recommendation is to go with the 25, take some lessons on the boat, read, ask questions, don't get too uptight when you mess up (you will), seriously analyze when you mess up, and have fun. This boating stuff isn't magic though boat yards, riggers, sailmakers, engine mechanics, and assorted dock rats will lead you to believe so.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2009

voice3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatKid5 View Post
I am looking at buying a good weekend sailboat. I have had previous experience sailing on sunfishes and hope to get more formal sailing lessons. Both my parents know how to sail. I am looking at a good sailboat that would be good for day trips and weekend sailing trips. I would want it to have a galley and be able to sleep 4 with a little room for gear(not always sleeping 4) I have always wanted a sailboat and am now saving up for one.

some sailboats that i am looking at are
-catalina 22
-Cal T/4
-MacGregor 25
-O'day 22

any input appreciated!
THANKS
Last year I was in the same position myself. I ended up buying an Eastward Ho 31'. It's a bit bigger than the boats you're looking at, however because it's not a popular boat you can pick them up for a good price. It's my first sailboat, but I have no problem single handing it. It's has a very comfortable motion, and although it's a traditional full keel design and a fairly heavy boat, I have no problem getting it up to hull speed in 10kt winds. It maybe a bit more suitable for sleeping four than the boats you're currently considering. I've only been sailing it for one season, but so far I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-29-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
might wanna look here--

Mac26S_PromoCD.wmv

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 08-30-2009

BrokeNotBroken is on a distinguished road
We are looking for a smaller boat for 2 adults and 2 kids. Something easy to sail and not too expensive. I wanted the boat to be trailerable so that I didn't have to pay dock fees and so that I could take it home to work on it. With two small boys, spending my weekend at the dock fixing stuff is not a good option. Anyway, I narrowed it down to the Hunter 260 and the MacGregor 26s. I found this review from someone that owned both. I thought it was a balanced review and offered good insight.

Hunter 260 vs 1991 Macregor 26s - SailboatOwners.com

Best of luck,
-david
Old 08-30-2009

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I also think you ought to go with a catalina 25 over the other boats mentioned. Catalina builds a good boat for the money. The Catalina 22 is probably too short if you are actually going to spend time in the cabin. Hunter and Magregor both build a decent boat for their intended purpose but I have always liked Catalina's better.
Old 08-30-2009

BoatKid5 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies. Lucky there is one near me that is for sale and is in good condition

it has the following sails: Mainsail, Jib, and 150 Genoa.
-is that enough to go and sail or will i have to buy more sails for it?

I am still trying to convince my parents that we should really do this. I hope we can do it. Any important things to know before buying a boat or to think about before buying a boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.