Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009

BoatKid5 is on a distinguished road
Good Weekend Sailboat?

I am looking at buying a good weekend sailboat. I have had previous experience sailing on sunfishes and hope to get more formal sailing lessons. Both my parents know how to sail. I am looking at a good sailboat that would be good for day trips and weekend sailing trips. I would want it to have a galley and be able to sleep 4 with a little room for gear(not always sleeping 4) I have always wanted a sailboat and am now saving up for one.

some sailboats that i am looking at are
-catalina 22
-Cal T/4
-MacGregor 25
-O'day 22

any input appreciated!
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Having spent a LOT of weekends on a J24 with 4 adults and wont anymore its kind of TIGHT in 22'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Some on your list are trailerables, others not... you need to decide which you want to get the real list. If you're able to go with keelboats then the choices expand considerably..

Also by your list you're into a relatively low budget operation (certainly less than $10K??) - and of course that's another limiting factor.

In the keel boat sector, for starters I'd add

Ranger 26
C&C25
Cal 25
Coronado 25
Catalina 25

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-28-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I would stay away from the MacGregor. Poorly built. Others on the list are far superior. IMHO
Old 08-28-2009

thanks for all the replys. I really like the Pearson 26 and the Coronado 23 & 25

is a 25ft. boat to much to handle as your first sailboat? should i try to stay to like 22 and 23 foot boats instead?
Old 08-28-2009

T26Rich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to T26Rich
You might also consider:
Tanzer 22
Santana 22
Rhodes 22
Kells 23
Hunter 25
Etap 21 or 26
Old 08-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatKid5 View Post
thanks for all the replys. I really like the Pearson 26 and the Coronado 23 & 25

is a 25ft. boat to much to handle as your first sailboat? should i try to stay to like 22 and 23 foot boats instead?
You'll do fine with a 25/26 footer... lately it seems to me I'm running into lots of people buying 35' and up as "starters"... too much disposable income, I suppose.

Starting a little bit up the LOA scale could avoid an early case of twofootitis - if you start at 22 and really take to it, then before you know it you'll be looking for a bit more space, a little more speed, and be shopping again. For most people it's a budget limitation more than a size issue.

Don't forget to factor in storage or moorage (as the case may be) into your financial and logistical planning. Some areas are moorage-poor, in our area it's so tight it's difficult to sell a boat that doesn't have transferrable moorage. Other costs to be ready to bear include insurance, surveys, haulouts etc. A wise man on this board generally recommends keeping 20% of your budget aside for after-purchase items...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-28-2009

Hesper is on a distinguished road
I'm someone who doesn't believe in "starter" anything. I want the right item the first time - wife, house, boat - and I've accomplished that. When I went for my first (and last) boat one criterion was that it be the largest that I felt comfortable handling alone. For me, that was 28 feet. Stretched my budget a little bit, but I've had it 9 seasons now and it's still right for me. That saves me a lot of money and hassle in the long run (saved even more getting the right wife first time out!).
Old 08-28-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Boat Kid,

Don't let the high numbers discourage you. If you are careful, you can find a boat in your range with annual costs that aren't too high (Certain high cost areas will increase the costs significantly). On a limited budget (it's ok, everyone starts somewhere), don't be tempted to go for the bigger boat, but instead get one that you can sail right away without having to rebuild it, even if it's smaller.

When you have a fixed amount of money, the bigger the boat at preset price, the more likely it is to have problems that will require spending lots of money to bring it up to sailable status. No question about it, the bigger boat is generally has more room, more aminities, and can make cruising more comfortable. But bigger requires more expense in everyway, and buying a cheap boat needing lot's of work isn't likely to save money in the long run, because it's cheap because it doesn't stack up as well against one the same size that's been maintained well....it's pay me now or pay me later (with repairs and lots of time/money...and hours of work...trying to bring it up to the standards of that somewhat more expensive boat of the same size that you can use to go sailing now.

If you buy a trailerable boat (21-24 ft. for example):

You have a lower initial cost ($5000)
If you buy one that is ready to sail now without rebuilding, you don't have to spend much in the way of maintenance/upgrades.
Keep it simple, you don't need all the fancy gadgets...a simple hand held GPS vs. on with chartplotter. Get the basic things, avoid fancy, even if they are nicer.
You will save on slip fees because you can keep it at home.
You won't have to haul it out every year or two to clean/paint the bottom.
Systems are simple and you can do most of the repairs yourself. You can, to a great degree, control the amount of repairs if you take care of the boat...sailing to the extreeme in extreeme conditions tends to break things, and boat repairs/parts are horribly expensive (~3X that of similar repair on a car).
Your insurance costs will be lower (maybe $250/yr.)
Your property taxes will be lower (maybe $200/yr.)
Your maintence costs shouldn't be more than $250-500 if you don't have major replacements.
This boat is not going to be as shiney as a new one, but it'll sail just as well.
Now if you want restored and shiney as new, you are going to start pumping lots of money and work into it. Pretty comes at a price in any size.

Now go to 25-27 ft.
It's a lot more boat, more room, sails more solid, etc., but more expensive.

Initial purchase price $5,000
Repairs/upgrades to bring it up to go sailing conditions (still not shiney) (maybe $3000 to $5000)
Slip fees since you have to keep it in the water: (maybe $2,000 to $4000) depending where you are.
Haulout and repainting the bottom every two years (maybe $1,000 if yard does it)
Insurance (maybe $300-400/yr)
Property Taxes (maybe $300-$400/yr.)
Routine upkeep beyond restoring (maybe $500 - 750)
And you still have a boat with lots of dings, but it sails just like the fancy new one.

The trailer boat is a bit of a pain raising and lowering the mast and launching each time you use it, but this is what you give up to save on costs. A boat in the slip and a little bigger is nice and adds to the pleasure, but it comes at a cost.

Hope this helps. Go for it. I think you and your parents will enjoy it. Both size boats sail and get you out on the water.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-28-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2009

Does a 1977 Catalina 22 have a galley? and a head?
what about a pearson 23.

can those boats handed trips in the Chesapeake bay for like 3 or 4 nights?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.