Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By k1vsk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009

BoatKid5 is on a distinguished road
Sailboat Insurance

How much does insurance cost for a sailboat 22' or 25'. I would like decent insurance in case big storm hits it-vandalism-robbery-wreck-etc.

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2009
Emerging Sailor

erikdj is on a distinguished road
There's a lot of factors for an insurance company to consider besides size. Here are some (not all) of the criteria that set the premium:
* Where will the boat be sailed?
* Age and condition of the boat? (some insurance co's require a survey before they'll cover the loss)
* Amount of liability insurance (most marina's require you to name them on the policy AND have a minimum liability requirement)
* Number of owners
* Where and how is the boot moored or docked?
* Size of the boat
* Engine size and inboard/outboard
* Loss coverage (if any). There are generally two types of coverage here (as I understand it). You can either get an "agreed value" or "actual value" coverage. In other words, you can set a value if you lose your boat, the insurance pays that. This would require a lot of discussion. So I'll leave it at that.
* Policy discounts (Discounts for licenses such a coast guard licenses, multiple policy discounts, good drivers records (yes your driving record can affect your sailboat insurance)).

For my boat, a 28 foot with the following coverage through State Farm, the premium is $168 annually.
* 300k liability
* 7k coverage for loss of the boat (probably under insured by about 5k, but still more than I paid for the boat originally... just done a lot of upgrades since then.. but whatever.. )

I have discounts for diesel and safety course (US Sailing certified).

Hope this helps.

Erik
Old 08-29-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
erikdj has some great points. I would encourage you to shop around also. I just switched from State Farm to American Family, and saved 50% for similar coverage. Your mileage may vary, so shop it around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 08-29-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
We've got some information for you on The Frugal Mariner (our website). This will take you right to the insurance page.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-29-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
With no disrespect, this is one of those questions for which you'd be FAR better off taking 10 minutes and making some phone calls to insurance agents rather than ask on the internet for opinions, getting the inevitable "my boat costs"..., "we switched from X to Y because", etc...
Cost of insurance is unique to your boat, it's value. your area, your insurance coverage requirements, your experience, your cruising plans, etc... all of which you need to precisely define to get a meaningful answer.

Last edited by k1vsk; 08-29-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2009

SusanBaker is on a distinguished road
Hi Boatkid5,

I don’t how much it would cost to insure that size boat but you might want to check [EDIT]. You can get an instant quote on the website and can then compare prices with what others quoted to you. And if you like the price [EDIT]. They are also friendly and provide good service.

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatKid5 View Post
How much does insurance cost for a sailboat 22' or 25'. I would like decent insurance in case big storm hits it-vandalism-robbery-wreck-etc.

thanks

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-22-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: removed commercial links, no spamming please
Old 12-04-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
You can also get online quotes from BoatUS and Progressive.
Old 12-04-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I don't know how boat insurance works, but I DO know how commercial insurance works. If it were commercial insurance here is what would happen with claim. Lets say you have your boat insured for $50,000, and it gets destroyed. The insurance company looks at the boat and decides that it was a damn fine boat you had there, worth $100,000. So they write you a check for $25,000 and call it a day! Why because they say you are underinsured by 50% so they only have to pay you 50% of what you are insured for! This issue is worth checking out with the insurance company! I'd read the fine print real closely.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 12-04-2009
1984 O'Day 26 - Lazy Dog

bacinmass is on a distinguished road
I have found BoatUS to be fast, reasonably-priced and very pleasant to deal with.