Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009

docent is on a distinguished road
mast up or down for winter?

Looking for opinions re: leaving mast up or down, loosen or leave tight the turnbuckles, remove boom or not? I have a catalina 28 mk II. Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2009
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by docent View Post
Looking for opinions re: leaving mast up or down, loosen or leave tight the turnbuckles, remove boom or not? I have a catalina 28 mk II. Many thanks
I have a C&C 27 Mk 1 with 33-foot mast, deck stepped. Our club is self-help, so we have to pull our own rigs. We only recently started offering the option of leaving the rig up for the winter for an additional charge. (It complicates the launch and haul with the rental crane. On the other hand, some commercial marinas are charging big bucks for use of the mast crane now.) With the deck step, I don't find pulling or installing the rig a big deal, and it allows me to make a careful off-season inspection of fittings and rigging. If you have expensive masthead instruments, you have to be on your toes. Not having the rig in also simplifies the tarping process. Some people use the rig as the backbone of their tarp, but I store mine in a mast rack. Laid out horizontally at waist level, I can go over every nook and cranny.
Others who leave the rig up can provide more detailed advice, but easing rig tension to reduce strain on the hull etc. is something I commonly hear. On balance I say that if you can round up a couple people who know what they're doing to help you, with a small keelboat it's good practice to pull the rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Old 08-30-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Aluminum (mast) contracts with decreasing temperature faster than does the steel used in rigging. therefore, mother nature will effectively loosen the rigging all by itself. It makes no difference what the relative lengths are.

People who loosen their rigging don't consider the coefficient of expansion of different metals and can often cause more damage by doing so when the loosen it to the point is can excessively vibrate or sway.
Old 08-30-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
LOL I leave mine up all winter... the sails work better that way!

Being in the West Indies may have something to do with it!

Gezzee I really DO NOT miss cold weather, 76 is cold to me!
Old 08-30-2009

mdidriksen is on a distinguished road
I have the same basic question. Still in the process of picking a marina for winter storage and 2 of the 3 under consideration allow mast-up storage. Pulling the stick adds to the cost of storage by about $500 at one place and almost $1K at the other. That is enough money to make me think about leaving it up. FWIW, the stick was out last winter (the first I owned the boat) while major work was done on the boat, but this winter is a different story. Also, I checked with my insurance company (Boat US) and they don't care one way or the other.

So what are people's thoughts on this?
Old 08-30-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i pull the mast on my nimble 30 express. i use the mast crane on the dock for free. my mast is stored there for the winter for $100. i haul the boat home on its 12,000 lb 6 wheel trailer with my dodge pickup & keep it along side the garage. this allows me to work on the boat at home.
Old 08-30-2009
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdidriksen View Post
I have the same basic question. Still in the process of picking a marina for winter storage and 2 of the 3 under consideration allow mast-up storage. Pulling the stick adds to the cost of storage by about $500 at one place and almost $1K at the other. That is enough money to make me think about leaving it up. FWIW, the stick was out last winter (the first I owned the boat) while major work was done on the boat, but this winter is a different story. Also, I checked with my insurance company (Boat US) and they don't care one way or the other.

So what are people's thoughts on this?
Boy, hate to say this, but my all-up costs for my C&C 27 at my sailing club (dock with electricity, all the pumpouts I want, free use of mast crane, spring launch, faul haulout and winter storage, plus membership) is about $1500. Canadian. And we're not a shabby operation, although we are self-help. (Okay, the sailing season is short.) Commercial marinas have been getting pricier and pricier. A local marina customer told me his head exploded when his marina decided they could charge $500 for using the mast crane. They don't allow DIY anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Old 08-30-2009

CaptainMorgan21 is on a distinguished road
I take my mast down to inspect all the fittings and connections. I can put up my mast and take it down very easily because it is deck stepped. If I had to pay a few hundred dollars to raise and lower the mast, I would probably leave it up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.